Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Panel filterrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Views : 2098

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2010, 16:17   #11
TonyS9
Premier Member

I don't get all this talk about flow rates with Turbo's. The air filter will not improve the flow rate at peak power, all that will happen is that the turbo will spin slower.

It may help low end torque when the turbo is not spinning or speeding up, otherwise nothing once its above 2,500.

The Turbo is a constant pressure device, what restrictions are before the turbo are irrelevant (up to a point).

I suppose there might be a small benefit from the lower exhaust restriction, but the point about turbos is that the power benefit is many time the strain on the exhaust side, so air filter benefits are going to lead to exhaust benefits many times smaller.

The better low end torque is nice to have but if you need a speedy take off in a turbo you need to rev it up anyway.

Last edited by TonyS9; Sep 14th, 2010 at 16:28.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 17:59   #12
gpl1968
VOC Member

Intake restrictions do make a difference to the efficiency of the system.

You can liken the car's intake to a vacum cleaner where the suction drops as the bag fills up, thus reducing the flow of air.
The intake restrictions will ultimately limit the maximum flow of air to the turbo at high turbine speeds.

The question here is by how much.

Assuming the figures in the quoted article are correct, then the pressure drop across a standard paper filter is ~1 inch/water or 0.036psi.
The Pipercross filter is alleged to improve air flow(across the filter) by ~30% which would reduce the pressure drop to 0.025psi across the filter.

Seeing that there are greater restrictions in the system that are easier to remedy, I don't see that changing the filter is worth doung.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 18:37   #13
Palmer
Premier Member

All this is a bit technical for me...

So an OEM filter is better than a Pipercross?

Palmer
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 18:45   #14
gpl1968
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post

Palmer
In my opinion, yes.

1997 945 CD (B230FK) [RIP: 1991 945 Turbo (B230FT) 1992 945 SE turbo (B200FT)]
gpl1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 18:47   #15
smithy
VOC Member

i have had a 850 k/n cone on my 940 no probs at and now i have a pipercross turbo cone filter and thats good too all with 3in outlet for the 960 amm.
smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 19:56   #16
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post

Palmer
But better at what? Filtering? Probably. At letting more air through? Probably not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpl1968 View Post
In my opinion, yes.
My emphasis. Indeed - just opinion. Each to his own.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 20:31   #17
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Then why bother with a filter at all then. especially an expensive foam filter that doesn't filter as well as the original and provides only a marginal increase in flow rate?

When I look in the bottom of my air-box and see the build up of dust and silt, I'm glad that I know the filter is doing it's job.
The filter stops the larger objects coming in and its true, maybe I could use a better filter but the stock airbox will not flow enough air for my engine specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
I don't get all this talk about flow rates with Turbo's. The air filter will not improve the flow rate at peak power, all that will happen is that the turbo will spin slower.

It may help low end torque when the turbo is not spinning or speeding up, otherwise nothing once its above 2,500.

The Turbo is a constant pressure device, what restrictions are before the turbo are irrelevant (up to a point).

I suppose there might be a small benefit from the lower exhaust restriction, but the point about turbos is that the power benefit is many time the strain on the exhaust side, so air filter benefits are going to lead to exhaust benefits many times smaller.

The better low end torque is nice to have but if you need a speedy take off in a turbo you need to rev it up anyway.
I don't think you've driven a stock car and one with a 3" exhaust. The larger exhaust and lack of back pressures means that a much larger turbo will spool at the same rpm as a standard one. Just imagine the difference it will have on a stock turbo.

As for the airbox, it is worth changing at certain points since the stock one can not flow high air for higher boost pressures. What the limit is depends on the filter you are running, and the mods done to the air box.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 20:58   #18
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

There is a bit about different styles of filters in the Mini Tuning book by David Vizard. He actually flow tested a range of filters to see which ones were best and the good quality standard style paper ones came out pretty well.
K&N ones were top of the list, they filtered well when new and when full of dust.
The standard paper ones were nearly as good when new but got clogged up quickly.
So, if you bought a good quality paper filter (genuine Volvo) and changed it often it would be nearly as good as a K&N.

One thing he does say is that the size of the filter is important. Even a K&N will perform badly if it's too small for the engine.
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 03:07   #19
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Intake restrictions do make a difference to the efficiency of the system.

You can liken the car's intake to a vacum cleaner where the suction drops as the bag fills up, thus reducing the flow of air.
The intake restrictions will ultimately limit the maximum flow of air to the turbo at high turbine speeds.
That only works for N/A cars. Vacuum cleaners, unlike turbos, are not pressure regulators. If you put less restriction in it will simply spin slower. It will not 'flow more', all it does is maintain the pressure in the manifold at a fixed value, the engine can consume any amount of air it likes the turbo will just keep it pressurised.

All a better air filter will do is does is create less back pressure at the exhaust because the turbo is not working as hard. I would surprised if it was more than 2 bhp.

It will only make a difference if the turbo cannot keep up the pressure, for instance if you increase the boost pressure and maybe do other mods. This can be seen by a drop in boost pressure, but is quite rare.

The same can be said for putting in a bigger turbo, the only point in doing it is if your current turbo cannot maintain the pressure you have set at top rpms, although a bigger one might last longer.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 03:37   #20
TonyS9
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stRaven View Post
The filter stops the larger objects coming in and i
I don't think you've driven a stock car and one with a 3" exhaust. The larger exhaust and lack of back pressures means that a much larger turbo will spool at the same rpm as a standard one. Just imagine the difference it will have on a stock turbo.

As for the airbox, it is worth changing at certain points since the stock one can not flow high air for higher boost pressures. What the limit is depends on the filter you are running, and the mods done to the air box.
Granted if you have tons of mods and are producing 300bhp+ a better air filter may allow the turbo to maintain pressure, but if your that marginal you probably need other improvements anyway.

On a standard 940 2.3 HPT, I don't see that a 3" exhaust is going to make much difference. Removing the rear silencer is just about noticeable at low revs, but I doubt the pipe size really contributes much. In fact a larger pipe may reduce the gas speed and temps such that there is alot more mass+friction in the system.

The speed of the larger turbo is also not that relevant, it best to match it to the available power, bigger turbos and bigger exhausts do not produce more power automatically, they are supplementary improvements so that other modifications are not limited. I suspect the 3" exhaust you refer to had a straight through system and other upgrades.