Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interior lighting not activated by doors

Views : 4010

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 27th, 2019, 14:18   #21
JDW3696

Switch towards the front of the car I believe means the light goes on when a door is open but goes off when closed, switch backwards on all the time, middle off.
Unfortunately with the switch in the forward position the light stays on constantly even with the doors closed. I'm guessing the door switches which effectively break the circuit arent doing that so the light stays on. Ive near enough exhausted what I can do apart from changing the switches.
I'm guessing it will be something simple.
Thanks
Joe
JDW3696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 18:26   #22
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW3696 View Post
Switch towards the front of the car I believe means the light goes on when a door is open but goes off when closed, switch backwards on all the time, middle off.
Unfortunately with the switch in the forward position the light stays on constantly even with the doors closed. I'm guessing the door switches which effectively break the circuit arent doing that so the light stays on. Ive near enough exhausted what I can do apart from changing the switches.
I'm guessing it will be something simple.
Thanks
Joe
But, as quoted above, at first you said:

Quote:
Hello all.
Hopefully you can help with an annoying problem. My car is a 91 240se estate.
The interior light doesn't come on when you open the doors although the light does work when you put it in the on position, to the front of the car and to the rear of the car.
The boot opening does activate the resr light.
I guessed there was an issue with the door switches.
The passenger switch has two wires going to it but the drivers switch only one black and blue wire. Is this normal or is the drivers side door switch missing a wire?
I've cleaned them up but other than that I'm guessing replacements. I haven't checked the rear door switches yet but opening the rear doors does nothing either.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Many thanks in advance
Joe
Is the difference just that you are understanding or describing the light switch differently?u, fit the rear interior light in place of the front one?

Connect only the power to the front interior light, and run a wire to earth (to imitate or emulate a good working door switch), using various light switch positions?

&c. &c.

Good luck with this.

Anyways, someone mentioned the possibility of a short circuit?

And what happens if you, can yo
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 18:34   #23
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

My post above is a mess and I can't get edit to work.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 19:58   #24
JDW3696

No problem. Mine are a bit confusing. Basically the front light just stats on regardless unless it's in the off position (middle). I'll try swapping the front and rear light over and see if I have any joy.
Thankyou
The Following User Says Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 21:00   #25
JDW3696

Swapping the lights had no effect. It's going to the mechanics
The Following User Says Thank You to JDW3696 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 22:08   #26
Angie
Premier Member

Have you checked the three wires on the passenger side switch? I have a distant memory that when it was wrongly connected it caused problems but can't remember what! I know that if one of the wires was disconnected one of the door switches didn't function. Worth investigating perhaps if you haven't already.

Do you have a wiring diagram? I found some quite good ones somewhere and leave them in the workshop manual whenever the car goes to the garage, saved them quite a bit of searching sometimes. I could scan the relevant one and post it here if that's any help.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 22:20   #27
JDW3696

Hello. Thankyou for that. The passenger door switch only has two wires going to it. Maybe that's the issue. I have the wiring diagram. Thankyou anyway.
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 00:15   #28
Angie
Premier Member

Quote:
Hello. Thankyou for that. The passenger door switch only has two wires going to it. Maybe that's the issue. I have the wiring diagram. Thankyou anyway.
Did you say at some point that there are three terminals on the LH front switch? If my memory is accurate a wire might have dropped down inside the pillar, you could fish around and see if you find one maybe. If there is one it could definitely be at least part of the problem, it certainly was for my car.

Edit - Just re-read your original post, and I think my memory is faulty! I knew there was a difference between the LH front and the other doors, but it is, as you say, two on the left and one on the others. Are the two connected correctly?

Last edited by Angie; Nov 28th, 2019 at 00:19.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 00:20   #29
JDW3696

Thanks. I'll look tomorrow. Have only ever seen two wires on the passenger side which are connected to the two terminals on the switch
Old Nov 28th, 2019, 00:21   #30
JDW3696

Yeah they are both good but looking closely the passenger switch is broken so I'm guessing that's the issue