Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

antifreeze

Views : 781

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 15:02   #1
TIGERRYES

Default antifreeze

Just a quick question, my S40 diesel has an orange colour antifreeze/coolant. I wanted to be sure the antifreeze was still good and covered the required temperature for winter. I bought one of those meter thingys to measure strength of antifreeze. It seemed rather high. The meter says for ethylene glycol, do I have the right tester please?
TIGERRYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 15:09   #2
brutusmotorsport

Default tester

in 30 years doing my own vehicles ive never used a tester. ive always made sure that there was plenty fresh antifreeze in every year.
brutusmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brutusmotorsport For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 19:34   #3
TIGERRYES

Well I just wanted to know what type of antifreeze Volvo use so I can find out if I have the right tester
Old Dec 2nd, 2019, 20:45   #4
harveys
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRYES View Post
Well I just wanted to know what type of antifreeze Volvo use so I can find out if I have the right tester
Volvo Antifreeze is green if it helps.
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:30   #5
FredGraham

Default Antifreeze

Hi
With my limited knowledge, I've always been told never to mix the colours.
Fred
FredGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 09:34   #6
TIGERRYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveys View Post
Volvo Antifreeze is green if it helps.
Well it's not Volvo stuff then, this is orange. I just wanted to know if my tester was the right one. Thanks for your help everyone
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 12:34   #7
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRYES View Post
Well it's not Volvo stuff then, this is orange. I just wanted to know if my tester was the right one. Thanks for your help everyone
SOme technical jibberish from another forum:

------------------
OAT anti-freeze/OAT coolant
OAT stands for Organic Acid Technology.OAT anti-freeze contain ingredients such as 2-EHA, sebacate and other various organic acids. Unlike green anti-freeze, they generally do not contain silicates or phosphates. Usually, OAT-based coolants will be dyed a different colour to green anti-freeze. They must be changed once every five years or 150,000 miles.

HOAT anti-freeze/HOAT coolant
HOAT stands for Hybrid OAT. These antifreeze use organic acids but not 2-EHA and usually include silicates to provide protection for aluminium surfaces. HOAT anti-freezes are used by many European car manufacturers, although they are also used by American companies such as Chrysler and Ford. A HOAT coolant will need to be changed every five years or 150,000 miles.

------------------

bottom line is, the only important stuff is if your AF is OAT or HOAT- wrong one can cause havoc on aluminium radiator and block, BUT it doesnt mean it has to be certain colour. Volvo AF is green/blueish, true, but I have seen yellow/red/pink AF's that were also to spec and just differ in colour.

even more bottom line - if you are unsure, just do a full flush and apply new one, it will do no harm to refresh it and atelast you will have 100% certianity whats there.
Old Dec 3rd, 2019, 15:31   #8
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
My V50 has had the pinky red antifreeze in from new. Assumed it was different to a "normal" Volvo as the engine is a Ford one. Again I assume it is OAT AF

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote