Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

boot / trunk seal 1966 1800s

Views : 805

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2016, 03:03   #1
grant 1800

Post boot / trunk seal 1966 1800s

Hi,
I have been looking for a trunk seal that pushes on to the small up turned lip that the seal normally glues to. A company named volvo solutions used to sell a push on seal, but they are no longer in business. There is a company called metro mold that has push on molding in several different profiles. Has anybody used this type of boot seal? Thanks grant
grant 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2016, 19:53   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

I believe that Volvo Solutions used to buy their seal from the UK, it's a very common push on type. Unfortunately it doesn't work very well as the seal doesn't compress evenly against he boot lid. Better off using the proper seal with a good glue. 3M trim adhesive is very good.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 06:49   #3
Carlsson 986

Default Boot seal

Have a look at Seals+Direct at http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shoppin...epartmentId=68.

I used their ETS2581 on my Amazon - push on and leave. Purrfect.

Ric
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 13:10   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

That seal is a bit of a beast. I'd be interested in seeing a picture of it fitted. The one that looks as if it should work, and I believe is the one that Volvo Solutions offered was a version of ETS60. If the flap could have sponge on the top of the push on part and the angle changed it might be possible for it to work. I've had many samples of this over the years. The most recent was from a Swedish company whose catalogue illustration looked as if it might be the one. Turned out to be badly made and nothing like the illustration. No better than ETS60.
Take your pick.

The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 19:04   #5
tdz840
VOC Member

Derek
I have the Volvo solutions seal, makes the boot lid sit high.
Been on for about 7 years and despite being told it would settle never has.
Personally I don't see a value to the 'flap' and agree if sponge was placed on top of the push on part would probably work better. Out of those 4 I think I would choose 2nd from right but I'm thinking of going back to OEM
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2016, 22:57   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

The 1800 boot lid is virtually flat so less of a problem that with the Amazon. I've suggested previously that by bending the flange inwards on the 1800 this type of seal would allow the flap to seal against the lid better. It would probably cope with rain and hand washing but a hose or worse a jet wash would likely give you a wet boot.

535 is the SD ETS2581. 538 is a version of ETS60. 542 was the one I got the sample of which looked promising, but no luck. Think it might be the one on the left of my foursome. As you can see the sponge should go at least part the way across the top of the U section.

The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 07:10   #7
tdz840
VOC Member

Nice find Derek!
I can see why you chose 542 but what about 545 or would that make the lid sit too high?
My original bootseal has long gone so i cannot compare profiles,however how did the profile look?
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 12:03   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think the problem with 545 would be getting the flap to pull down reliably over the U part. It's also not very substantial, much thinner/smaller than the flaps on 538 and 542. On 545 the flap could be glued down on top of the U but the seal available would then be even smaller. It's possible to get custom seals made but last time I asked the minimum order was 1000 metres. Not a good investment if the section then doesn't do the job!

The most comprehensive catalogue of seals that I've found is here. I've visited and bought stuff. However they freely admit that much that is illustrated isn't available but they can't afford to revise the catalogue. I'm pretty sure they also supply some of the newer seal sellers. They have been in business a long time.
Their version of 545 is DX89. More substantial but you can't glue it sideways.

A dimensioned drawing of the cross sections of both the 1800 and Amazon boot lid seals would be very useful. Might be available from Baines. Their prices were good when I visited.

http://www.coh-baines.co.uk/pdfs/cat...compressed.pdf