Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Castle Coombe

Views : 740

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 22:59   #1
AndyF

Hi all,
It was great to finally meet a few of you at Castle Coombe last saturday.
I had a very good day, even if I did make a complete mess of three of my five laps, its a very difficult track to learn in a short time.
I'm glad I wasn't on track with some of the older cars from the Sports section - they were going very well indeed ! As was the guy in the T4 - sorry didn't get your name.
Simon, I understand you got a pic or two of my track efforts, I'd be very grateful if you could get in touch about some reprints - obviously I'd cover the cost.
Many thanks to John Griffiths and Phil for organising the day.

Cheers, Andy F.

'95 Yellow T5-R Saloon
Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:48   #2
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Castle Coombe

I also made a real ****-up of the circuit, much to the amusement of everyone watching, no doubt.

I even had to resort to the escape road on one chicane, as I had cars on the rear and nowhere safe to turn in.

The estates all did better, no doubt due to their better weight distribution and - in my case at least - better cockpit control!

The pics aren't actually in my camera but in the guy's who has the T4, so Phil will be able to help since he caught his name and I didn't.

If they came out as well as the ones I took for Phil with his camera, they should be pretty OK, since I had a good angle on Quarry, just behind "Mr. Pro".
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:24   #3
alexzoutsos

That was Duncan in the T4, his sign in name is 'duncanpm' i think.

Andy I have some video shots of your car pelting by - it was the yellow t5r right??

Great fun wasn't it?? I had the silver V70 estate. Very interesting how you can get the back out on these beasts at high speed, my rear tyres took a punishing!! And brakes!

Made you realise how un-important engine power really is compared to handling when it comes down to track driving! There is thought of another day at Bruntingthorpe airfield, which apparently has a 2 mile straight!
Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 22:44   #4
AndyF

Hi Alex,
Yup, Mine was the yellow one.

I like "pelting by", it felt more like panic-ing by in places but it was excellent fun.

I saw your V70 Estate early in the day while I was waiting for the briefing, going very well too !

I haven't checked my rear tyres, only the fronts, they looked a bit the worse for wear, I've still got tiny peeled off bits after 200 miles on the M4. The Brakes took some grief too, the fronts were still smoking a bit when I parked and you couldn't touch the wheels.

You are right about the difference between power and handling (or in my case - ability/practise). It takes an awful lot of power to make up a 10mph difference in speed exiting a corner.

I'd love to see the video shots you have, are they digital or VHS ?

Andy F.
'95 Yellow T5-R Saloon

P.S. Count me in if Bruntingthorpe happens !
Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:03   #5
PeterD

hello,
alex, Duncan is our surname, i have changed our log-in as i can see how that causes confusion. (this is michael, son of Peter)

We had a fantastic day, with three sessions on the track still not being enough, the T4 was going brilliantly. highlight of the day was our middle session when we were following Phil as we were both really flying (actually overtaking people rather than being overtaken)
that was the session Alex got on Video, i would love to see clips or stills from that if possible.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:47   #6
alexzoutsos

Many apologies Peter/Mike I think it was the login name that confused me (or the fact I was terrified before I went onto the track and could hardly remember my own name :) )

I will put some stills up on this forum and I will grab some video and post that too.

Andy the video was taken on a Mini-DV camera and I have a firewire card, so I can post it as mpeg avi etc.

I will post them later today I hope - once I finish painting these damn windows!!
Old Sep 4th, 2002, 21:00   #7
AndyF

Alex, I look forward to seeing them although I'm not too sure how good my driving will look ! Good luck with the windows.

Peter / Michael, I'm told Simon took a few pics with your camera, I'd be interested to see them - if possible.

Sorry if I seem really vain, wanting to see all these pics of my car. I've had it for 6 months now and amazingly that first flush of excitment at finally owning it hasn't passed yet.

Cheers,

Andy F.
Old Sep 4th, 2002, 22:05   #8
alexzoutsos

Andy I will get those done tomorrow..left the camera at a friends house (good move huh!!)

There's nothing wrong with wanting to see pics/vid of your car (or if there is I am just as bad as you!)

That reminds me..there was one bit in the afternoon when Phil went out for the second time, he came round after one lap and there was that horrible yellow 'caterham type thing that went quick' starting to overtake him up the righthand side on the start/finish straight.

To my amusement I watched Phil absolutely refuse to give up, he was completely on the wrong side of the track and just when I thought he has to give up now I could see him trying to outbrake the little tin can he was racing.....good on you mate!!! I felt like it was a few years back watching those 850s bounce the cavaliers and mondeos out of the way...ahh the good old days!! Past my bedtime I think!