Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BHP from a T5

Views : 2567

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2010, 16:46   #11
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief View Post
It was from the 2002 not the 3 series. Also they only used production blocks that had covered 100,000 miles already so they knew the block had no faults. Plus it wasnt standard pump petrol that was put in the tank. The dyno they tested the engines on only read up to 1500bhp and they went over that when in qualifying trim so nobody actually knows what power they put out!
I stand corrected, wasnt it the 1502 (1500) but they did use the M10 in 3 series later on albeit 1.6 , ive had a few, still thats crazy power from such a small engine, just shows the possibilties are endless
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 16:54   #12
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortstuff View Post
I stand corrected

I always thought the T5R runs around 250bhp but the police have them remapped to 300bhp or at least thats what a guy told me that sells them

Yeah I think you are right in that the R puts out about 250 bhp as they have a different ecu and turbo, as for modified police cars, this has been brought up many times as to whether they tune the cars or remap them, I did once ask a copper on the way to the nick after being nicked about this, he told me that its not true about souping up the engines, just beefing up the suspension and more regular servicing schedules and at the time they reckoned the fastest motor they had in Dagenham nick was the V8 sherpas (no motorway cars) and Barking had a 3.0 24v senator which was the fastest at the time, around 1993/4

Unless you are talking about later stuff s60Rs etc in which case I think they are about 300 bhp any how
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 19:11   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortstuff View Post
I stand corrected

I always thought the T5R runs around 250bhp but the police have them remapped to 300bhp or at least thats what a guy told me that sells them
The police models were always standard regarding engines , the only modified ones are the late 185 diesels which go to 205 bhp ..
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 20:00   #14
Shortstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post
Yeah I think you are right in that the R puts out about 250 bhp as they have a different ecu and turbo, as for modified police cars,
I always thought the difference was in the cams and turbo. Didn't think the ecu was changed

O well wrong again lol
Shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 20:42   #15
scr8pdo
Premier Member

To be honest I thought the same that all police cars were tuned up even when I was a kid, I mean it makes sense they would want to have a faster car to catch up with the villains, but apparently it was all a myth, i still he different stories now about it, someone not so long back said that they used to work opposite Turbo Technics and there was police cars always going in for conversions???
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 22:26   #16
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

hi

i can tell u now, i supplied peugeots to the police forces in several counties, these were all upgraded in the engine department suspension and brakes as well as beefed up anti roll bars and engine mounts, they also requested beefed up bumpers, we used to get them in and send them away for this work to be done before delivery so its possible the "normal" police officer would not know about these modification, but any of the mechanics they employ would know
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 22:37   #17
Mike Arnold
Master Member

I can believe that there are many experts who can tune the T5 and get amazing power.

However, I had my bog standard 2002 C70 on a dyno less than two years ago (80,000 miles on the clock) and they said it was giving 240hp at the wheels and estimated 250hp at the engine. Don't know it that helps.
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 23:25   #18
scr8pdo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
hi

i can tell u now, i supplied peugeots to the police forces in several counties, these were all upgraded in the engine department suspension and brakes as well as beefed up anti roll bars and engine mounts, they also requested beefed up bumpers, we used to get them in and send them away for this work to be done before delivery so its possible the "normal" police officer would not know about these modification, but any of the mechanics they employ would know
Very interesting, do you know what sort of engine mods were done, I know even on 850s they use the heavier duty diesel and AWD wishbones on the police cars and better brake pads
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 18:08   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
hi

Peugeots would have needed lots of modifications , the volvos were straight out of the box pre 2000 and didnt need anything except a calibrated speedo , done in nottingham . With the new V70 they demanded uprated springs at the rear ..
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 19:45   #20
Shortstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Arnold View Post
I can believe that there are many experts who can tune the T5 and get amazing power.

However, I had my bog standard 2002 C70 on a dyno less than two years ago (80,000 miles on the clock) and they said it was giving 240hp at the wheels and estimated 250hp at the engine. Don't know it that helps.
Thats pretty impressive for a standard car

Not sure what my 1997 850 puts out but as far as I know its standard and in a straight line can keep up with an Evo 6 which for the moment is enough for me lol

I'm just interested how far the engine can be pushed before it's not a Volvo any more....... Like a guy that works at the garage I used to live near, he bumped his Evo 8 to 600bhp but had to put a 2.3 legnum engine in to get it. Meaning it wasn't an Evo any more in my eyes. Still very impressive but I'm sure you know what I mean
Shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote