Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Test driven car pulls to right.

Views : 650

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 6th, 2010, 09:06   #1
friedfrog
Global Warmer

Default Test driven car pulls to right.

Hello,
Test drove a 99 plate V70 D yesterday. The car has 106k miles, 12 main dealer stamps in the service book, Hpi clear, very clean and "straight" looking. When I drove it it started well travelled thru all gears well and braked in a straight line, however when driving it it pulled slighty to the left, it seemed (although this just might be me) to corner more easily to the left than to the right. I have a S70 so have a comparrison to go on.
The rear tyres on the V70 were nearly new (pirelli p6000's) and the front tyres, also pirrelli's had about 3-4mm of tread on them and were evenly worn. I didn't check tyre pressures but looking at them niether seemed to be deflated in any way.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Cheers,
Anthony.

Atheism; A not for prophet organisation.
friedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 10:23   #2
V70Driver
Premier Member

Could well be tyre pressure, camber of road or anything to do with linkages to either side, that is to say repairs to linkages should be completed on both sides not just one.
As the seller is selling the car and had a known problem with linkage on one side any potential purchaser may notice, the seller repaired one side.

Only my suggestions, could be something worse or nothing at all.
Good luck

V70Driver
V70Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Driver For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 11:06   #3
Matthews 855 T5
Master Member

Sounds like tracking/alignment. Could be worn control arms but you'd feel that when braking.

See if the seller will get the car aligned at his cost and provide you a receipt.

Matt
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 12:43   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Yep, tracking or tyre pressures. A cheap fix if its just pressures!
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 13:55   #5
friedfrog
Global Warmer

My first instinct was maybe the tracking, as I say tho, the front tyres were evenly worn. I would have thought the tracking would cause uneven wear either on the outside or inside edge of the tyre. As for tyre pressures, although I only visually checked them (and all seemed inflated well) I had a slow puncture on my S70 some time ago and after origionally discovering that one of my front tyres only had around 12 pounds of pressure in it I was struck at the time at how the car didn't show any signs of drifting or loss of handling at normal speeds.
The chap who is selling the car is about 80yrs old and hasn't driven for 4 months now so I can't really imagine him trying to mix and match tyres to try and disguise something.... although you never can really tell how honest/dishonest a seller might be.
The car is going for a very good price which is what makes me wary of the drifting/pulling issue.
I very much doubt any driveshaft troubles as the car still pulls/drifts when freewheeling out of gear.
I don't know wether to just take the plunge and buy it in the hope that the problem is fairly minor.

Cheers.

Atheism; A not for prophet organisation.
friedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 18:00   #6
rtz62

Forget which make / model he was talking about but 'Honest John' in the Motoring section of the Telegraph on Saturday suggested that certain makes would benefit from a quick drive onto the continent, as driving on the 'wrong side' appeared to cure the problem.

Probably a bit extreme and expensive...

I would suggest Pro-Align in Peterborough; I took mu Audi ur quattro there, they do a PROPER 4wheel alignment and can ascertain exactly what the problem is.
rtz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rtz62 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 19:55   #7
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

If the seller will allow, check the tyre pressures adjust if necessary.

If this is OK try swapping the front tyres over.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris_Rogers For This Useful Post: