Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti Roll (AKA Sway) Bar

Views : 944

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 13:51   #1
Andy D

I would like to fit a thicker anti-roll bar to my Y2000 C70 T5 and since there doesn't seem to be anything aftermarket available, I was wondering whether there was a standard Volvo part I could use?

I've been on the phone to a couple of main dealers today, but (as expected) haven't got anywhere - does anyone know whether there is a fatter one fitted to V70 T5R for example??

Also, my local dealer has told me that Y2000 C70's are significantly different from V70's, S70's and earlier C70's.. is this really true?? He was suggesting the front sub-frame was different and therefore parts aren't interchangeable.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old Aug 28th, 2002, 19:42   #2
SG

Default RE: Anti Roll (AKA Sway) Bar

Re. your last point - it's plausible.

I do know that the standard wheel widths for the C70 are different to equally-engined S&V70s which may suggest some differences around the front sub-frame.

As to earlier C70s, changes will almost certainly have been made to the design over time. I'm on my second C70 and am amazed by the differences between it and my last one.

There's currently an active thread on aftermarket suspension upgrades in the C70 forum at www.swedespeed.com. You might find some more information there.

Scott
SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:30   #3
Andy D

Thanks for the tip!

Which suspension setup did you go for on the new C70? What choices did you get?

I guess the V70 T5R *must* handle well, because here in Nottingham it seems to be the only car the police use! That's why I was asking about the roll bar on it.

I'm not saying I don't think the C70 handles well, I would just prefer a bit less body roll - I certainly don't want to converted it into a go kart!
Old Aug 30th, 2002, 19:55   #4
AndrewT

I have modified exhaust, suspension and brakes fitted to my June 1999 C70 T5 - and these components are the same as used on the S and V series. My car is one of the earliest 2000 model year versions and has all of the features that Scott describes in his ealier post.

I haven't touched the anti-roll bars, so can't help you there, but believe that the sub-frame was beefed up for the C70 convertible, launched at that time. The 2000 coupes therefore, benefit from the improvements made to stop scuttle-shake on the convertible.

Mine came with "Volvo Lowered Sports Chassis". Pah! I fitted Don Norchi's LEDA kit after 3 months of ownership and have never looked back. If you don't fancy the go-cart ride, you should find that Eibach's Pro-Kit springs will cure the body roll.

Andrew

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:10   #5
Andy D

Hi Andy,

After looking around I've ordered the fully adjustable LEDA to! So I'm not the only one who thinks Volvo should check the definition of "Sports Suspension" then?!

What you say about the changed sub frame on 2000 models makes much more sense than what my local dealer was on about, so thanks for that information.

Couple of questions for you:

1/ What spring rates did you go for front and back? Any idea what the standard (Volvo) ones might be? How would you describe your cars ride now?

2/ What difference does the LEDA kit make to the ride height at the back?

So is it good then?! The delivery time is about 3 weeks and I can't wait :)

I would still be *very* interested to know if bigger anti roll bars can be fitted! Surely someone else out there must have tried ..!

Andy
Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:05   #6
AndrewT

Welcome to the fan club!

The back are 275lb (I think) and the front are 350lb. I uprated the front after 12 months or so (from 300lb) and found that the ride stiffened up, yet was more supple. You won't need to go any stiffer.

I've know idea what the Volvo ones were, but they had all of the performance characteristics of a Biro spring, something that I found particularly gutting, as I paid £550 for this option.

Ride height dropped about 50mm - if you measure vertically from the centre of the wheel hub to the wheel arch, the back measures 32.5cm and the front, 33cm. I have never grounded in the 50,000 miles since the conversion. The "stance" at this height works really well - it's obviously lowered, but it doesn't look tampered with. I live in Essex and wanted any modifications to be absolutely discreet !!

Mine were fitted to my newly purchased car, nearly three years ago. Words cannot do justice - the car is transformed, with virtually zero body-roll, responsive turn-in and a heavier feel to the steering. You get "flat" braking with no nose-dives and the general feeling that you are on rails. Motorway lead-on roads become something to look forward to.

Each shock has a 24 point adjustment dial; set at 3 or 4, they give a firm but supple ride. Mine have "settled" at 12 all round, which I find perfect for Motorway and fast A-road. You do get a harsh bumpy ride around town - but you won't care as the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages. Set them above 12 however, and things start to get a little "dramatic" - strictly for the track.

There is a down-side - they tend to squeak (a bit like a bed, during...well, you know) and I've had it back to LEDA on two occasions for an irritating rattle (they also did a full strip-down and oil change, recommended every 30,000 miles).

You will forget about the anti-roll bars - the LEDA kit will keep you more than satisfied!

Andrew

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:27   #7
Andy D

It sounds absolutely fantastic :9 now I really can't wait!

I just don't understand where volvo were up to describing the suspension as sports when it's sooo soft, espically when it's an option?! I would be interested to drive a car with the 'comfort' suspension, they must fit shocks removed from knackered 2CVs! It's a shame because the car looks fanstastic and the engine is absolutely superb!!

I run a small company that makes car data logging equipent - I'll log some body roll and acceleration rates before and after the suspension change over, and post the graphs, should be interesting!

Thanks

Andrew