Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I may be coming back....any advice on XC60 spec

Views : 5670

Replies : 95

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2015, 16:23   #1
drpepper

Default I may be coming back....any advice on XC60 spec

So the last time I was here was apparently June 25th 2011 during my XC90 owning days......

I'm considering a return to the fold as the time has come to replace my Merc C250 CDi and I'm looking for a middle sized SUV as next time it rains I would like to be able to drive through a puddle without fearing drowning and would like to able to get some traction on a few wet leaves (the irony being an XC60 wouldn't arrive until spring :-)

My initial thought was the new Merc GLC and my preference like for like is still the Merc, however I started chucking a few things into Carwow and when you factor everything in the sheer discounts available on the XC60 make it a serious contender as well (essentially 20% off list and 3 years servicing if using their finance) as I am not made of money.

So I'm looking at an XC60 D5 R-Design Lux Nav with the following options:-

Family Pack
Winter Pack with Dynamic Lights
Front Park
Pano roof
Tinted Windows
Gear shift paddles

Probably white in colour.

I drove an SE Lux a few weeks ago as a rental when away on business and it was great, however I wasn't paying too much attention given I wasn't then thinking about buying one so I have a few questions at the moment I'd welcome some views on:-

1). Any crucial options missed?
2). How is the standard fit 'premium' audio?
3). I've read much about fiddly buttons and lack of touch screen, personally i don't like touch screens but do like the dial based systems ala idrive and that which is in my current Merc, from your experiences is the XC60 menu navigation really as painful as suggested, I can't quite figure out how things are controlled from the pictures?
4). I really disliked the auto box on my 2011 XC90, I believe it's essentially the same lump and box in the D5 XC60, my recollection was it was dismally slow to change down and react - has this been 'fixed', do the paddles help, what are the views you guys have of the gearbox?

Any advise very much welcome.

Cheers,

James.
drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 16:30   #2
Considered1
Premier Member

If you dont need AWD I can vouch for the 8Speed Auto is super smooth but only available in FWD 2.0 190 hp.

Last edited by Considered1; Dec 15th, 2015 at 16:32.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 16:38   #3
GJB
Premier Member

Have the D5 R Design with polestar having had 2 previous XC90's find this a great combination and no lag in gear box much more usable power due to twin turbo's
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 17:10   #4
drpepper

The 8 speed in the D5 would have been ideal but alas no and the AWD is pretty high on my list as a reason to go for an SUV type motor.

I'm not Polestar'ing it as bizarrely the 3 years included servicing offer only applies to non Polestar versions (go figure) but it's good to know you don't seem to be experiencing the gearbox issues I did with the XC90, I guess technology moves on.

I assume Polestar is able to be added at a later date by a dealer (ie. once I have the paperwork for the service pack, lol), if so that's likely my plan, if not there's many other options on the tuning box/remap route (aside of the warranty implications) should it become necessary.

Cheers,

James.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 18:11   #5
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
If you dont need AWD I can vouch for the 8Speed Auto is super smooth but only available in FWD 2.0 190 hp.

Along with a engine Volvo don't know how to fix.
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 18:14   #6
xsaab
Master Member

Reversing TV camera (if it is not in the options you have mentioned)
Parking sensors
xsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 19:57   #7
drpepper

I'm assuming they know how to fix the D5 by now!

I know how frustrating it is when the dealer can't fix something. Had an Insignia VXR and all the dealers round me had never seen one let alone knew how to fix the countless problems!

I haven't spec'd the camera, it comes with rear sensors and I have spec'd the front ones just to be ono the safe side.

James.
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 20:15   #8
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Nowt wrong with the D5, it just keeps humming along
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 20:31   #9
Bantambuddy
VOC Member

I would suggest Driver Support Pack. The adaptive cruise control is absolutely brilliant on motorways allowing you to not think about speed cameras nor the speed of vehicles in front of you as your vehicle either keeps at the speed with the vehicle in front or on overtaking rapidly goes up to your set speed. The active high beam is also phenomenal
XC60 SE Lux Nav Manual D5 AWD Black Sapphire; Polestar; Family Pack; Driver Support Pack; Winter Pack with Active Bending Headlights; Front and Rear Parking Sensors; Privacy Glass; Diamondbrite;20" Wheels
Bantambuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2015, 20:57   #10
bobby2000
VOC Member

Have to agree with above post DSP every time.