Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 Handbrake fail and poor service from Volvo

Views : 1018

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2012, 02:33   #1
irishgary

Default V60 Handbrake fail and poor service from Volvo

Hi all,

new to the forum and it looks like I'll be spending a few hours on here doing some thorough research!

I just wanted to know if anybody else has had an issue with the V60 electronic handbrake failing? Mine did and here is the story so far:

Starting work at 6am I parked facing the doors, got out of the car and the handbrake was engaged but was left in neutral (my bad). 2 employees started at 6am also and saw me park there.

Returned to the car at 8am, unlocked the doors, put some boxes in the rear seats and locked the doors again.

Another manager started at 10am and the car was still in the same spot.

At approx 12 noon the car rolled and hit the security bollards at our front door (luckily no pedestrians were hurt). The front bumper was damaged at the bottom and the passenger side LED light was broken.

Phoned dealer (Rybrook Warrington), told to bring car in at earliest convenience. Brought it in and he basically said it was pilot error! But he'd have it plugged into the computer to see what the diagnostics said.

Got a call back later that day saying it had registered a fault with the brake and Volve said car was unsafe and they needed a head mechanic to look at it (who was in Sweden). He took nearly 2 weeks to get to it and we got a call back from Rybrook saying that the error message was to do with the towbar (installed by dealer) and not the brake and that Volvo are not repairing the damage. cost of repair approx £910 for new bumper, LED light and labour!!!

I have the car back but not fixed and have to call Volvo Customer Service later today to see what can happen.

I have at least 3 witnesses that will testify the car was parked there and did not move from 6am until 12 noon so I cannot see how it could have been anything other than a brake failure. I am annoyed at the dealer for either telling me the wrong info at the start or for changing their story and I am not willing to pay for the repair.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or similar?

Does anyone have any advice or tips on what to do next? What should I do if Volvo won't budge? Contact the leasing company?

I love our V60 and think it looks amazing and it feels great to sit in and drive, I am however doubting their customer service and their lack of acceptance of blame. Should I have stayed with Audi??? I'm beginning to wonder! Perhaps this is my first and last Volvo!
irishgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to irishgary For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 11:00   #2
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Stick to your guns. If they fail to budge then get the codes read and the button checked by an independent Volvo garage. If they still back your dealer you will then be in a bit of trouble. If not then go back to the dealer with this new evidence and see what they say. Small claims court etc after that.

If the independent comes back with an answer that backs you then maybe get someone like Honest John from The Telegraph involved. Amazing what a bit of press involvement will do but he will only contact Volvo if the evidence from another garage backs you up.

Not an easy answer if Volvo wont play ball.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 12:41   #3
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgary View Post
Hi all,

Got a call back later that day saying it had registered a fault with the brake and Volve said car was unsafe and they needed a head mechanic to look at it (who was in Sweden). He took nearly 2 weeks to get to it and we got a call back from Rybrook saying that the error message was to do with the towbar (installed by dealer) and not the brake and that Volvo are not repairing the damage. cost of repair approx £910 for new bumper, LED light and labour!!!

Does anyone have any advice or tips on what to do next? What should I do if Volvo won't budge? Contact the leasing company?
Did they tell in what respect the towbar caused the car to roll away? What was the actual fault?

Have you contacted the lease/hire company/finance provider to complain?

Without knowing the exact terms under which you took out your finance, its difficult to say exactly, although there will be implied terms ie terms that even though they are not there in the contract they will be assumed as being there. You may have a case against the finance company

As the finance company is a 'big business' you sometimes get further chasing them instead, and the manufacturer/dealer may be more likely to listen as they are good customers, spending a lot with the brand.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 19:43   #4
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Did you get it in writing when they stated it was a brake failure, if you did problem solved. If not then question why would they get an expert from sweden if it was just a towbar fault. Have you seen the engineers report?
The towbar and electrics are not on the same circuit and the electric handbrake which has its own independant circuit and system and there is no a code reader could confuse the two.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 2013, 12:55   #5
irishgary

thanks for the advice guys, Volvo customer relations are a nightmare. Every time I call the advisor dealing with our issue is busy and I get a promise of a call back. I've waited over a week for the last call back and still nothing. Called them again today and she is on her lunch!!! What a waste of my valuable holiday sitting at the PC/phone!

I've had nothing in writing, only over the phone and in person at the dealership. My OH witnessed what was said at the dealership.

No reports etc from any of the engineers, but I will ask for them when I get speaking to Volvo/dealer.

Will contact the finance company after the next call also!

Thanks for your help so far!

Gary
irishgary is offline   Reply With Quote