Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Road Signs: Time to change to Metric?

Views : 33445

Replies : 358

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Should road signs be update to metric units?
Yes 75 27.37%
No 199 72.63%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 8th, 2013, 00:42   #61
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewVolvo View Post
From memory I think Autocar is one mag that refuses to stop doing their measurements/power measure in Metric or even Nm, despite many customers/readers protesting.

Perhaps time for them also to enter the 21st century and realise that what worked 30 years ago, no longer works!
Why not go the whole hog and descend into meaningless nonsense, witness Clarkson's 'torques'.

I shouldn't criticise, Clarkson and his 'torques' draw a big audience. But I sincerely hope I never have to live near a nuclear power station designed by a member of that audience, whether imperial or metric.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 13:30   #62
GMad
Premier Member

What a lot of people seem to be missing here, is the fact that this country already is and indeed, has been metric for some years now.
The hardware is one of the few things that hasn't been changed, because let's face it, no Government, blue, red or orange, is going to want to spend the money on changing everything, road signs being the biggest expense.
If any road user feels the need to have a totally metric journey, everything is there for them to be able to do just that.
Fill your motor up with litres of fuel, use the kph portion of your speedometer and simply convert miles to kilometers. I see no difficulty and of course have no problem with anyone who chooses to do this.
As for me, well I'll be sticking with using both systems, simultaneously.
Filling my car/s with litres of petrol, driving for miles on my seventeen inch wheels, whilst abiding to the imperial speed limit and of course all of this will be done in a car (unless it's my Trans Am), that is screwed together with metric nuts and bolts
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 13:38   #63
arcturus
arcturus

Units don't really mean all that much, they are really relative. When we fill up with gas how many of us put in £40,£50 etc. Distance,how long to get there. When we go for a pint do we want exaxtly that or a few beers?
My 144 speedo is in K's, my 940 is in mph. No problem switching between the two.

Last edited by arcturus; Mar 8th, 2013 at 13:40.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arcturus For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 14:32   #64
steadvex
Master Member

I don't know if this applies to anyone else, but I noticed when driving abroad doing a 130kmph certinaly 'feels' more satisfying than doing 70mph...

ok I know 130 is faster, but even doing a nice 110 just has that mental thing going on that your going quicker.

saying you got to 200kmph also sounds better than doing 130 to me...

Saying that whenever I play a racing game I always set it to mph.

Maybe this countries population just needs to realise being different for the sake of it isn't always good.

Is it just an aging population refusing to change their ways? especially with all this anti eu stuff going on, if people just thought about why it can be better instead of just going no, its change its bad, maybe we wouldn't be as screwed up as we are, personally i'd love an eu central government, then we wouldn't have to worry about people like david Cameron pushing things through without thinking of the consequences, not to mention the billions saved in NOT paying all the bloody mp's along with their expenses...

but yea, I think its time we changed, I don't think it would be easy, but there would be advantages, as for disadvantages I can't think of any other than personal pride.
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steadvex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2013, 18:51   #65
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Just to keep the record straight, in many EU countries one does not:

1. Buy a TV in metric sizes (except Germany I think who uses both metric and inches), it's all inches.
2. Buy "one 50cl of beer pls" but usually only say "one large one pls" (a UK pint is 56.8cl).
3. Shoe sizes in EU (UK excluded) are not in cm btw.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 23:10   #66
Gazdok
Master Member

Default Road Signs: Time to change to Metric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexboydave View Post
.... need new speedos and that doesn't come cheap. There is also the other issue of just how many road signs would need changing and how much our taxes would go up when the government use that as an excuse to raise more money from drivers!
This change is long overdue. It will happen over the next 10 - 20 years. This expense could be used to get the UK out of a quadrupple depression.

Next to be followed by right hand traffic. Good chance to improve the fast aging roads.
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 13:04   #67
Axionknight
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
Then you buy in different measurements...

1 can of beer = 0.33l
1 glass of beer = 0.4l
I'm glad I don't drink where you drink, the thought of such paltry measures make Axion a sad sad cookie :P
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 13:13   #68
Blandy15

Why do we always have to change to suit everyone else whats wrong with being different.Most jobs i have been all the trades still measure in feet and inches cant see whats wrong with it.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 13:43   #69
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandy15 View Post
Most jobs i have been all the trades still measure in feet and inches cant see whats wrong with it.
Mainly as its an illogical system that has not been taught in schools for 40 odd years. If we are going to be metric, and we swapped over a LONG time ago, then we should do it properly, not half hearted. Part keeping a system because people over a certain age are comfortable with it is not a great reason. The world moves on.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 14:13   #70
Blandy15

Harvey its not just oldies im 36 and a lot of the boys on site use inches why cant europe change and use inches why do we all have to be the same look at the euro great idea.