Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What is holding my heater box in ??? 1975 244dl

Views : 586

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2020, 18:35   #1
Welsh Jon

Default What is holding my heater box in ??? 1975 244dl

Evening folks, trying to replace heater fan on my early 244dl and am 2 hrs into strip down. Radio and 9 bay switch panel and surround out and the frame behind that out too. Everything is off including the hoses in and out. all the mountings to the tunnel are off. I've even managed to get the ducting for the vents either side of clock off. I'd of thought gravity and a gentle tug and it would come away but no joy. Any advice greatly appreciated. I cannot see anything engine side of firewall holding it in or am I missing something obvious (it has been known ) Any advice gratefully received.

pics to follow of the mess I've created

Last edited by Welsh Jon; Aug 17th, 2020 at 20:25.
Welsh Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 19:25   #2
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Default Daigrams

These might help you; they're taken from an early Haynes manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo-240-Heater_2.jpg (135.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Volvo-240-Heater_1 .jpg (210.2 KB, 4 views)

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 20:20   #3
Welsh Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
These might help you; they're taken from an early Haynes manual.
Thanks for this but my heater unit is different again from this one. I have a Haynes manual to cover my model and I believe mine is the Type B as shown in the Supplement at back of manual. I believe Ive disconnected everything possible but heater box still just stuck there. Going to upload some pics shortly.
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 20:25   #4
Welsh Jon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200817_181115_resized_20200817_065813135 (1).jpg (185.1 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Welsh Jon; Aug 17th, 2020 at 20:35.
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 20:28   #5
Welsh Jon

Last edited by Welsh Jon; Aug 17th, 2020 at 20:42.
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 23:19   #6
Bugjam1999
Master Member

At this point you might as well remove the whole dash as it’ll only take a few more minutes- once the dash is out you’ll be able to see what, if anything, is holding the heater box in place (might be stuck in with nothing more than 40 year old sealant on something?). With the dash out you’ll also be able to lubricate the wiper mechanism and check the bulkhead for leaks and rust.

I know it’s possible to remove the heater box without removing the dash (I’ve done it) but it really isn’t much more time to remove the dash and the increased visibility of what’s behind is worth it.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2020, 06:01   #7
Welsh Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugjam1999 View Post
At this point you might as well remove the whole dash as it’ll only take a few more minutes- once the dash is out you’ll be able to see what, if anything, is holding the heater box in place (might be stuck in with nothing more than 40 year old sealant on something?). With the dash out you’ll also be able to lubricate the wiper mechanism and check the bulkhead for leaks and rust.

I know it’s possible to remove the heater box without removing the dash (I’ve done it) but it really isn’t much more time to remove the dash and the increased visibility of what’s behind is worth it.

Cheers
I think this is wise Bugjam, that's this afternoon then, got my real job to attend to first. Messing with the old Volvo is almost light relief in comparison. Thanks for the advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Welsh Jon For This Useful Post: