Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is my gearbox weird or broken?

Views : 1029

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2024, 13:35   #1
Carlosos

Default Is my gearbox weird or broken?

Just got a new to me 2004 xc90 d5 auto 115k miles.

It drives perfectly and is exactly what we need however the gearbox is acting strange ( to me ).

It slips. When driving along and giving it some welly it slips like I’m riding the clutch. Not huge amounts it almost feels like a cvt is supposed to feel. It goes faster but it doesn’t correspond correctly to the revs. Sometimes I notice it almost change up half a gear then it changes up the other half. It’s very strange but it almost feels like this is supposed to be what it’s doing. It doesn’t jerk or bring up any codes it just drives like this absolutely smooth. All gear selections work never any bangs or thuds or jerks. I’ve tried to video it but it doesn’t come across well on camera. Oh yeah I can’t get it to slip all the way round the tachometer it’ll only rev above it a certain amount, maybe 500 rpm max above what I would consider normal.

No history of auto box oil change but it looks redder than I expected on the dipstick although still very brown compared to new oil.

I’m perplexed.

Torque lock up occurs after 60 as it should and that’s the only time it feels normal to me apart from pootling slowly. My 07 jag s type 3.0 auto gearbox behaves exactly as I would expect.

So is my gearbox weird or broken?
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 14:45   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosos View Post
Just got a new to me 2004 xc90 d5 auto 115k miles.

It drives perfectly and is exactly what we need however the gearbox is acting strange ( to me ).

It slips. When driving along and giving it some welly it slips like I’m riding the clutch. Not huge amounts it almost feels like a cvt is supposed to feel. It goes faster but it doesn’t correspond correctly to the revs. Sometimes I notice it almost change up half a gear then it changes up the other half. It’s very strange but it almost feels like this is supposed to be what it’s doing. It doesn’t jerk or bring up any codes it just drives like this absolutely smooth. All gear selections work never any bangs or thuds or jerks. I’ve tried to video it but it doesn’t come across well on camera. Oh yeah I can’t get it to slip all the way round the tachometer it’ll only rev above it a certain amount, maybe 500 rpm max above what I would consider normal.

No history of auto box oil change but it looks redder than I expected on the dipstick although still very brown compared to new oil.

I’m perplexed.

Torque lock up occurs after 60 as it should and that’s the only time it feels normal to me apart from pootling slowly. My 07 jag s type 3.0 auto gearbox behaves exactly as I would expect.

So is my gearbox weird or broken?
If it was broken, I'd expect loud bangs, jerks or even no gear changes.

A transmission fluid change could make a difference. If you have no records of it being done, I suggest you get it done at your earliest convenience.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 19:02   #3
Carlosos

Oil change is on the cards. Ordered the Mannol stuff and should be here any day. Got myself a long bendy funnel for the refill too.

any other thoughts anyone?
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 19:24   #4
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

No. Do the changes and then take stock.
Bonefishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 19:51   #5
Alycidon

Vida can do a driving diagnosis, tells you if it slips etc
Alycidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 19:59   #6
Andymharrison

Going off on a slight tangent, I'm planning change mine when the weather warms up a bit and wondered if anyone had used one of the vacuum extractors to change the gearbox as well as engine oil?
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 21:09   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

just use the drain plug. its at the bottom of the gearbox to let out any contaminants .you will only get out 3 ltrs from the plug the rest of the fluid is retained in the torque converter and the valve body hence the need to do multiple sump drains and fills with some driving in-between. to get the fluid back to a clear red colour

Last edited by Simmy; Jan 10th, 2024 at 21:12.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 21:14   #8
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

I have head of oil extractors used on the later gearbox’s with the fill plug and no dipstick. However with the older 5 speed box which you have to fill through the tiny dipstick hole this wouldn’t be possible so depends on which box you have. Be interesting to see how much the extractor got out compared to the usual drain from underneath. Not sure how much of a free path the hose would have through the gearbox either. You also want to measure how much is extracted so this presumably means having to clean an existing extractor or buying one just for trans oil. In theory extracting and refilling the exact amount would mean you wouldn’t need to worry about setting the level via the level plug. But after all that think I’d prefer the usual method.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 21:21   #9
Andymharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
just use the drain plug. its at the bottom of the gearbox to let out any contaminants .you will only get out 3 ltrs from the plug the rest of the fluid is retained in the torque converter and the valve body hence the need to do multiple sump drains and fills with some driving in-between. to get the fluid back to a clear red colour
Well the last time I was under the car I tried to loosen the plug a fraction to be sure I could get it out before ordering oil, it wouldn't budge. The car was cold and I expect with some heat it would come out but rather than risk stripping it I wondered if using the vacuum pump was an option.

Would also save my knackered back and shoulders some grief!
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 21:38   #10
Carlosos

Thanks guys. Oil change update coming soon.

How often and how many changes is best to do.

Is 3 changes ( sump dump so 3ltrs ish a time) with 50 miles between each one sufficient?