Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Coolant Loss

Views : 512

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2024, 16:41   #1
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Exclamation Coolant Loss

Hi everyone,

Brains required please as i've been scratching my head and I think that I have solved the issue with my Volvo XC90 RDesign Nav 200 BHP on 100,545 miles. I need some thoughts from you please!

So, to start with,I bought the car on 97k miles with a blown head gasket. I paid a Garage to sort the issue, which they did, and the head was skimmed, pressure tested and re-fitted and i've had 3k trouble free miles with the engine.

However, recently, its started to drink coolant and the resivour behaves in a weird way. On high revs water is sucked our of the headder tank and then back on idle the water seems to return. However, water is missing and its progressivly getting worse and it needs topping up. I regulary get "Low Coolant" warning and have to stop.

This is where I have been getting also confused as there is some presurisation in the water system.

Now this leads me to think that the Head Gasket has failed again..... BUT, the engine sounds just fine, not lumpy at all and runs smoothly. There is no loss of performance and its got no symptoms of a blown head gasket at all. There is no contimanation in the coolant or the oil.... The Gearbox oil is ok also...

By chance, I did a live data read of the engine of randomly selected components and I noticed that the EGR Valve was opperation out of parameter 65% low idle (hot) and whern the revs come up it goes to low teens.

No im now thinking, could the EGR Valve be causing my issue of coolant loss?

Thoughts?
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 21:13   #2
Carlosos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMB View Post
Hi everyone,

Brains required please as i've been scratching my head and I think that I have solved the issue with my Volvo XC90 RDesign Nav 200 BHP on 100,545 miles. I need some thoughts from you please!

So, to start with,I bought the car on 97k miles with a blown head gasket. I paid a Garage to sort the issue, which they did, and the head was skimmed, pressure tested and re-fitted and i've had 3k trouble free miles with the engine.

However, recently, its started to drink coolant and the resivour behaves in a weird way. On high revs water is sucked our of the headder tank and then back on idle the water seems to return. However, water is missing and its progressivly getting worse and it needs topping up. I regulary get "Low Coolant" warning and have to stop.

This is where I have been getting also confused as there is some presurisation in the water system.

Now this leads me to think that the Head Gasket has failed again..... BUT, the engine sounds just fine, not lumpy at all and runs smoothly. There is no loss of performance and its got no symptoms of a blown head gasket at all. There is no contimanation in the coolant or the oil.... The Gearbox oil is ok also...

By chance, I did a live data read of the engine of randomly selected components and I noticed that the EGR Valve was opperation out of parameter 65% low idle (hot) and whern the revs come up it goes to low teens.

Thoughts?
How long ago was 3k miles? Sounds like it needs to go back to the repair garage to me or do some head gasket tests. Compression test and the gas leak test.
Carlosos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 21:48   #3
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

It was 8 months ago and outside the 3 month warranty given.

I have done a gas test from the headder tank and thats got no fault / no exaust gasses. So this is why im leaning to the ERG cooler.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 23:00   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thoughts?
Did they check the top of the block for flatness whilst the head was off ? It is just as important as the head being flat... If the engine got hot enough to warp the head it is possible the block is warped too.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 03:47   #5
Carlosos

Quote:
It was 8 months ago and outside the 3 month warranty given.

I have done a gas test from the headder tank and thats got no fault / no exaust gasses. So this is why im leaning to the ERG cooler.
I would still probably call them and see what they say. I would think you’ll get some goodwill depending what the fault is. Maybe ask them to just diagnose first then go from there? Difficult one, I love fixing things but it drives me crazy trying to fault find and having no luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlosos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 20:26   #6
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

Exclamation

Ok so a small update - im convinced its the EGR Cooler as when cold the headder tank bubbles like crazy but once warm and the EGR closes and the bubbles significantly reduce.

Also, the heating matrix is only blowing cold air at the moment and as the cooler is inline to this matrix i think its presurising the system and creating a blockage.

Im going to investigate tomorrow and strip down the EGR and see if I can find a fault with it - fingers crossed that this is the issue.

Im also going to chgeck the gearbox oil to see if there is water in there from the radiator.
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 21:22   #7
Carlosos

Quote:
Ok so a small update - im convinced its the EGR Cooler as when cold the headder tank bubbles like crazy but once warm and the EGR closes and the bubbles significantly reduce.

Also, the heating matrix is only blowing cold air at the moment and as the cooler is inline to this matrix i think its presurising the system and creating a blockage.

Im going to investigate tomorrow and strip down the EGR and see if I can find a fault with it - fingers crossed that this is the issue.

Im also going to chgeck the gearbox oil to see if there is water in there from the radiator.
Fingers crossed for an easy fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carlosos For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 13:46   #8
mr tickle

See my post describing this>
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318347

It was the EGR cooler leaking, and I was told on here that it is very rare almost unheard of for these to fail.
The new part is very expensive but you can get second hand cheap, however its such a fiddly job that you don't really want to be doing it twice.

Good luck.
V70 D5 2009 - T5 convertible - V40 1.8 - 343GL - the one with the elastic band transmission!
mr tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mr tickle For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 22:02   #9
NMB
Volvo XC90 T6 & XC90 D5

So its bad news sadly - the EGR cooler appears under low pressure thast its not failed so it must be the cylinder head. Going to have to strip it down and get the head pressure tested, skimmed and the valvs reset ready for a re-install.

A sad day but she will live again I hope!
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 12:55   #10
Carlosos

That’s appalling that it’s gone again in 8 months.

Tags
egr valve