Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 604378

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2015, 14:50   #411
Kev78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcL View Post
Granted a Toyota or Lexus are not everyones cup of tea.

The hybrid has been around for decades now, the first hit the roads in '93 I think it was. We'd have heard by now if there were major issues.

Inverters are about the only thing I have seen reported on them and its sometimes the water pump rather than the inverter itself that is the issue.
Granted, not a cheap fix but there again neither is a new D5 engine when the aux belt takes a reroute via the cam belt.

Garages will adapt to whatever tech comes along otherwise they will not survive.

You'll probably see more 3rd party companies coming to the fore when more manufacturers arrive. Volvo are there with the D6, Peugeot/Citroën have hybrids available, Ford are there now with the new Mondeo to name a few.

There's not much to do with the hybrid in my wife's car. It's a bit like a washing machine. It might need a new belt, the coolant will need replacing every few years otherwise not really much to do with an electric motor and a battery pack. Servicing quotes are no more expensive than for the standalone petrol.
I think hybrids have their place. Even if the battery argument (pollution they cause being made) is a fair one.

Hydrogen makes more sense to me as the long term solution.

It just upsets me that they have gone 4 cylinder with the xc90 (I couldn't afford a t8 in the spec I'd want anyway).

The car itself is stunning inside and out. No direct rival has a interior anywhere near as nice and the sound system is the best I've heard.

The 4 pot diesel is just wrong in that car. It's like putting one in a Rolls Royce (slight exaggeration ).
Kev78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 15:00   #412
emjga

Getting back on the original subject again.

Sure enough after the 2nd year service the Engine warning lights is still there.

Volvo Aberdeen (Arnold Clark) say they updated the software and it fixed the issue.
Personally I don't think they even checked the EGR

Any way spoke to the head tech engineer and he took the car away for another check.
Sure enough error codes refer the EGR error's so they will order up new parts.

2nd attempt to fix this issue.

To be fair to the guy he did say that cars that where fixed over 6 months ago are still having issues , but ones that where fixed under 6 months seem to be fixed , but as he say time will tell.

My real concern will be what happens at the end of the 3 year warranty
If the EGR faults are still there.
Will Volvo continue to try and fix them at there expense or will they expect customer to pay to fix the issues.
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 16:05   #413
NigelDay
Premier Member

Repeated EGR faults after the three year warranty expires are an invitation for a smart Volvo-owning lawyer to start a legal action. I wonder what Volvo's defence will be ? They will have to open their internal files for legal and public scrutiny. Could be interesting.
Alternatively they will simply settle 'out of court' to save time, embarrassment and legal costs.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Sep 11th, 2015 at 16:06. Reason: Text
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 16:52   #414
GuidoBrunetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Repeated EGR faults after the three year warranty expires are an invitation for a smart Volvo-owning lawyer to start a legal action. I wonder what Volvo's defence will be ? They will have to open their internal files for legal and public scrutiny. Could be interesting.
Alternatively they will simply settle 'out of court' to save time, embarrassment and legal costs.
My new XC60 may be on its way to my dealer as I write this on holiday abroad. Despite receiving their assurances on this matter, and having had a long discussion with their lead tech guy when I said I was considering cancelling my order, I am once more asking myself why would I get involved with Volvo's technical problems?

On another post someone pointed out that it's clear how to avoid DPF issues but in this case it seems to strike at random without a clear relationship to driving style. The dealership said it seemed to only affect cars driven too gently. I don't know about the rest of you but I tend to drive an automatic differently to a manual ie constant, but quite gentle, throttle allowing the gearbox to use the torque. I very rarely need to use kickdown by suddenly flooring the throttle.
GuidoBrunetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2015, 18:41   #415
vadre

Edit* quick google search shows inverter failure is common on the rx400 and costs £4k to replace.[/QUOTE]

I have owned both Lexus RX300 and 400H cars, both were totally reliable and a luxurious drive.
The 400h has experienced just a few inverter failures but to their credit, Lexus issued a recall and any suspect ones (including mine) were changed free of charge.
The RX has grown too big for me now, and the XC60 sized NX has a very choppy ride and weedy engine.
vadre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vadre For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 19:08   #416
donnieban

V60 D4 64 plate amber check engine warning light reset twice within about 3 hrs and subsequent limp mode on the 1 day that we needed reliability - heading to airport on hols....

9 months old and nearly 13000 miles.

Volvo courtesy (Taggarts) nil points.
donnieban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2015, 21:55   #417
Arianne
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnieban View Post
V60 D4 64 plate amber check engine warning light reset twice within about 3 hrs and subsequent limp mode on the 1 day that we needed reliability - heading to airport on hols....

9 months old and nearly 13000 miles.

Volvo courtesy (Taggarts) nil points.
..........this post sums up the problem perfectly. Volvo should ooze reliability. The egr issues risk killing that brand value. However, for the time being my xc60 is fabulous since the last Clelands fix. Arianne.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 08:45   #418
Harvey1512
Premier Member

My engine warning light has just come on again. My EGR etc was changed around 12,000 miles and I have now done 19,100. It will be very disappointing if this is happening a second time. Even more irritatiing as in the next two weeks I have some major miles to do and do not want to be worrying about my car or have to do them in a courtesy V40 rather than my chunky mile munching XC60.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 09:58   #419
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
My engine warning light has just come on again. My EGR etc was changed around 12,000 miles and I have now done 19,100. It will be very disappointing if this is happening a second time. Even more irritatiing as in the next two weeks I have some major miles to do and do not want to be worrying about my car or have to do them in a courtesy V40 rather than my chunky mile munching XC60.
We need to start making Volvo pay attention, get your car booked in ASAP call Volvo assist to come out and do a check they will get it booked in the next day for you, and make sure they give you an equivalent courtesy car. With my V40 the courtesy car was a fully loaded Mitsibushi ASX the second an alright Vauxhall Insignia, I also had my fuel paid for in the form of a cheque from Volvo HQ on the second fault, fuel was not covered the first time.

It's not acceptable to have this happen twice, my colleague has had his brand new BMW 340 touring arrive with a broken sunroof, he has had a fully loaded BMW X5 3.0 m sport this weekend for his holiday in Cornwall, and will have an M3 next week as a courtesy car for his journey to the lakes. It's all well and good being given a nice car but all he wants is his 340.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc01 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 12:50   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
We need to start making Volvo pay attention
It's not only paying attention - it's actually telling us what the heel is going on!

I have been fighting the good fight for nearly eight months and even though they have black & white RR data from my car, they have yet to communicate with me in any way (other than vagueness via the dealer)

No matter who plays it down on here, make no mistake this issue is very much current, Denial is all I am getting from VOLVO and have had nothing different in the last 8 months

This problem is far from solved, until Volvo actually tell me it is !

(V40 D4 VEA)
007 is offline   Reply With Quote