Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anti Skid service light on

Views : 52495

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 13:09   #1
Plutoonuranus

Exclamation Anti Skid service light on

Hi all,

Hope you can help. I have had the dreaded anti skid dervice reminder on my dash for approx 2 weeks. It tends to decide when it wants to come on from 30 secs driving to 3 miles driving. Took it to the main stealership today and was informed that the codes related to the DEM, they subsequently changed this for a known 'good one' but the fault would still not clear. (they have since put my old one back in), they stated that they would need the car for a few days to try different parts to clear the fault. If the DEM is OK what else could it be? Any answers would be appreciated as I am due to trade in shortly. Model XC 90 registered 2006 2.4D manual.
Plutoonuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 22:10   #2
pibbow

Hi I had the same problem on my wife XC it was the abs sensor ring on one of the wheels under £100.00 TO FIX
pibbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 22:48   #3
Gazdok
Master Member

I thought you cannot just interchange DEMs. Once they are mated to the car they belong to it..... and this also means - or maybe meant now - that second hand DEMs off srap cars cannot be reused.

Has this changed???

Is Volvo retreating on their old story???

What are the fault codes?

It could also be the oil pump or the temp / pressure sensor.

What happens when you do a full lock slow turn before the Anti Skid light is on?
Gazdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 06:30   #4
Plutoonuranus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdok View Post
I thought you cannot just interchange DEMs. Once they are mated to the car they belong to it..... and this also means - or maybe meant now - that second hand DEMs off srap cars cannot be reused.

Has this changed???

Is Volvo retreating on their old story???

What are the fault codes?

It could also be the oil pump or the temp / pressure sensor.

What happens when you do a full lock slow turn before the Anti Skid light is on?

Hi thanks for the post. Just tried to check the slow turn to full lock (car left overnight quite cold) by the time I had got to full lock 'Anti skid ' light came on. Does this help your diagnosis is it what you were expecting or should there have been a noise or something? Cheers
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 10:06   #5
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

check your drive shaft bolts. if the bolts are loose the wheel will move away from the sensor and can put the anti skid light on
mike
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 19:14   #6
lesk

hi, had this on my 54 plate earlier in the year, ended up costing £2k to replace CEM & REM,after the cem was damaged by the documented 'water ingress' faukt that volvo deny all knowledge of.

les.
lesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 06:23   #7
Plutoonuranus

Thanks for your response, will investigate. How did they trace to the ring? Dealership or independant?
Old Jun 23rd, 2011, 23:11   #8
pibbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutoonuranus View Post
Thanks for your response, will investigate. How did they trace to the ring? Dealership or independant?
My dealer found it in 5 mins.
pibbow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pibbow For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 20:44   #9
bigtree
Not so Junior Member

I had the anti skid service indicator come on once, but put it down to just having the discs and pads changed.

I then had my XC90 in to Volvo last week for a free safety check and i obtained a print out of the fault codes on my vehicle.

These were the following codes in respect of the brakes:

BCM-0050 Control module Faulty signal - DTC is found active.
BCM-0121 Yaw rate sensor Signal outside its permitted range - DTC is found active.
BCM-0139 Pre-pressure valve power brake booster Signal outside its permitted range DTC is found active.

After having the codes reset i took the car back to volvo one week later, after having the anti-skid service required appear again once. Only the yaw sensor code (BCM-0121 Yaw rate sensor Signal outside its permitted range - DTC is found active was present).

I had the 4 wheels aligned (£99) and the brakes control module calibrated on VIDA (free).

This removed the remaining brake code, however, i suspect that only time will tell if the problem comes back.

When i saw the original codes I was convinced that i needed a new brake control module, but now, after only minimal work, i suspect that it is actually alright. Sometimes simple fixes work, although i will probably eat my words knowing my luck!

My warning was intermittent, and from my time researching this fault my advice would be get the codes read, take advantage of Volvos free check offer.

It could be the brake control module, but you can get this repaired for £100+ VAT (BBA Reman) and there are lots of posts about this.

It could be the yaw sensor, again this could be repaired for £100+VAT, or a new one is around £350.

It could be a few other issues but you might be lucky and just need the brake module recalibrating like me.
bigtree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtree For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2011, 14:19   #10
caraba220

Default Anti Skid service requierd

Hi, I have this message on dash Anti Skid service requierd on XC90 2.4L Turbo Diesel 2009 what is the best to do Volvo ask for $1500 + work with out inspection
caraba220 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to caraba220 For This Useful Post: