Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spare Tyre Poll

Views : 54181

Replies : 220

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What should volvo's policy be for spare tyres in new cars?
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a full size spare should be supplied 297 38.87%
cars should sacrifice enough cargo space and a space save spare should be supplied 440 57.59%
tyre sealant and breakdown cover are sufficient - space should be maximised for cargo 44 5.76%
attach spare to the outside of the car (requiring design change and possible other issues) 7 0.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 764. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9th, 2018, 18:33   #201
alanoconnor

I would like a full size wheel in my boot. I bought my car the other day and it didn't even have a space saver or gunk so bought a space saver off ebay.

I am unsure why people are allowed to use those torque guns - I had a nasty experience that cost me a Comet alloy and a few hundred quid.

That said, I was sitting in Kwik Fit the other day and I'm having a conversation with the manager about awaiting a delivery for some bolts so I can throw my locking wheel nuts in the bin. He said use the standard tool in the boot and your nuts will be fine. My response:

"Nothing wrong with my nuts mate. And why are your people using guns on my car then?"
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 10:29   #202
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
Having lived in the middle of now where, there has to be space for a full sized spare, for people who do not have easy access to tyre shops/fitters. We are a small, well populated country. Elsewhere, there is even more need for a full sized wheel as people could be hundreds of miles from assistance. Imaging what it must be like in places like Canada.

Car makers should have design options where the choice is full size spare (takes up all the space), space saver (with a tray for extra storage) foam kit/pump (with a different tray for extra storage).
Totally agree. It's also worse if you have no mobile reception and you need assistance. A spare (of any description) is a must for me.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2018, 13:05   #203
oilburner
Volvo är stor!

My wife got a nasty puncture in her car which she noticed at work and she was forced to get a mobile tyre fitter out who brought the wrong tyre, charged a fortune for fitting it and then damaged the diamond cut alloy.

The whole thing was a stressful and expensive mess that could easily be avoided with a space saver spare.

2019 V90 T4 (me) & 2017 Volvo XC60 D4 AWD (other half)
Gone but not forgotten: 2016 V60 CC AWD, 2015 V70 D4, 2005 S80 D5 and 2001 V70 2.4
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2018, 21:07   #204
Toprivetguns

Had the unfortunate luck of a puncture this morning at 5:30am whilst travelling to work. I've never used the tyre repair sealant and thought why not give it a go. I can safely say what a load of rubbish (I wont use the actual words aired).

I now have a decent Volvo space saver courtesy of Welwyn Volvo who provided me with some excellent service today. I'm now in the process of making my own boot tub and lid.
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 15:23   #205
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I would go with option 1 or 4. Ideally, a full size spare externally mounted - a la '70s P5 Rovers. As a minimum, a space saver spare - as we have at present.

Years ago, spares were commonly mounted externally, but today that might be more of a security risk than previously. Also, they were sometimes offered as optional extras, as in the case of Reliant three wheelers, but that was more for weight - as opposed to space -saving, to qualify for the sub 8 cwt tax class. Maybe manufacturers could offer a similar option today?

Regards. John.
Old Dec 22nd, 2019, 04:29   #206
Bashy
Aged Member

I would prefer a full sized tyre any day of the week, call me old fashioned but if im on a long journey, i would rather rely on a full size to get me there and back without the need to have to ruin said trip with extra trip to the local tyre place and thats if its open. 50mph i think it is, is too slow to come back from say the lakes to norfolk on an over night trip. Also, i wouldnt want to rely on just a can of tyre weld either, although, one can did save me in a pinch on the V70 (2nd day of having it lol) to get me off the roadside so i could change it to the fake wheel.

What i do not get is a space saver wheel/tyre in a full size hole, like there is in mine, what the Dickens is that all about, not saving any space whatsoever
Old Aug 10th, 2020, 23:24   #207
GMcL
0's and 1's

Until you need a spare, it's dead weight and dead space.
When you need a spare it is critical at the time.

Depends where you are what the priority is. Most manufacturers now offer breakdown recovery as part of annual servicing.

The UK appears to run 7 days/week service. Distress purchases are always going to get hammered in terms of price if you have some 235+ size tyres on 19+ rims.

I bought a space saver for my S60 in 2014. It takes up about 33% of available boot space and never seen the light of day since it was fitted.

Since I bought the Volvo in 2013 my wife and I have had four other cars between us each with a compressor and can of "stuff". None of those have seen the light of day either or needed replacement.

I've had a licence for 34 years. In that time I've had 3 punctures. I've also been towed off the motorway with a shattered windscreen - no spare provided - and also had two blown inter-cooler hoses, one FIAT, one Volvo.

Back to manageable risk.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2020, 12:28   #208
Deck1ng
Master Member

Late to the party as usual. I went for full size spare. For many years the wife and I drove to remote areas of France Spain and Italy for hols. Goo and space savers have never been an option. So always carried a full size cased spare under the suitcases to do the long hauls. Once there that was left in the chLet or room and the space saver took over on daily trips. Hi
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2021, 20:20   #209
TeamG
Master Member

Every car I’ve bought has either come with a spare or space for a spare and I’ve bought one aftermarket. If I’ve been shopping for a car and discovered no space for a spare, then I’ve walked and looked again. As consumers, we can choose where we spend our cash.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2021, 14:36   #210
JJJ

Here's my solution.

Thule 970 hitch-mounted cycle rack, modified so that the wheel can be attached as well as allowing the rack to fold down to allow the hatch to open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210331_092713.jpg (194.2 KB, 25 views)
JJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post: