Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which mode to use with an automatic

Views : 1416

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:48   #1
Berbatops

Default Which mode to use with an automatic

Hi everyone,

after many years camping under canvas the wife and I decided to switch to caravanning. We have got the tow car (2002 V70 D5 SE) and the van (1997 ABI Marauder) and we are all set for our first season. My question is: What should I leave the auto box in? D, 4 or 3? Or is it a combination of the three depending on the terrain? Any help or experiences of towing with an auto would as usual be greatly appreciated.
Berbatops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:55   #2
ovlov25
Premier Member

The vehicle handbook will guide you best on this, personally anytime i've towed with an auto (T5 VW transporter, Range Rover etc) I usually stick it in Tiptronic and drive that way, a old skool auto i'd guess you would stick with D and then use the lower gear hold for steep hills etc.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 18:17   #3
Welshlou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbatops View Post
Hi everyone,

after many years camping under canvas the wife and I decided to switch to caravanning. We have got the tow car (2002 V70 D5 SE) and the van (1997 ABI Marauder) and we are all set for our first season. My question is: What should I leave the auto box in? D, 4 or 3? Or is it a combination of the three depending on the terrain? Any help or experiences of towing with an auto would as usual be greatly appreciated.
Congratulations on getting a caravan. I've also progressed from camping to caravanning, but it was a good few years ago now. Everytime I have towed with an auto (two Jeep Cherokee's) I have used Drive. I sometimes used the lower gears on very steep hills, but the majority of the time I left it in Drive. If you take your time, you should be ok.

I've just bought a V70 2.4 SE Auto 2001, and am going on my first caravan trip this weekend. Can't wait to see how it tows.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 19:33   #4
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I had a 2001 V70 2.4 Auto and pulled our Eldiss 556 caravan and just left it in drive. Had to keep the speed up on the motorway to keep it in 5th or it would hunt between 4th and 5th gear.
Best of luck
Jim
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 23:45   #5
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

Think that Dad always tows in Drive, the only time he's used other options has been to put it into Winter to get more traction on slippery ground.

That's with just about every auto box used since 900 series Wentworth's; prior to that it was nearly always a manual (with Overdrive).

In that time there's been Swift Challenger 490's, Abbey GTS of a similar size to the 490's, Knaus and now a Fendt, so not small vans!!!
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 18:54   #6
Berbatops

I just got back from my first bash at towing. I went out with the family for about an hour on a variety of roads (country lanes, B roads and A roads) and to be honest most of the time I soon forgot I had anything behind me. The only time I was aware was on uneven roads and the caravan movement transferred through to the car and going up quite steep hills, but the box just dropped down a gear no problem. The next problem is getting experience in reversing - but that's a whole new ball game! Thanks everyone for your advice, much appreciated.
Berbatops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2008, 18:44   #7
FRUB
I wish I understood!!

I think the only bit of warning I was given (by Peter some time ago) was not to tow in sports mode (V90). Other than that mine tows like a dream

Allen
FRUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 10:13   #8
dodgyken
Master Member

I tow in D - however at the speed I tow my trailer (1800KG) that equates to around 1850rpm in 6th - therefore if I am on a hill I will knock her down to 5th to avoid the engine labouring.

Correctly loading the trailer RE noseweight - is important.

As for reversing - take it slow and steady, and use your mirrors - and have someone to help. To make the van turn you need to turn the wheel the opposite way to which you would normally do for the car, once the van has turned about 1/2 the desired angle you need to get the car to follow the van - so turn the direction you would normal turn.

You should then end up where you want to be. Your best bet is to get out into an empty car park and practice as much as you can - otherwise you will first need to reverse when you least need want to.

I can pretty much do it now without thinking - but the biggest tip is TAKE IT SLOW.

With a little practice you should be able to parrellel park with a caravan on the back
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote