Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt tension

Views : 3030

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 6th, 2016, 07:27   #1
spudd
Master Member

Default Timing belt tension

Hi I have an xc90 and my daughter has a 2002 v40 1.9d.
we recently purchased the car so want to change belts and tensioners etc.
according to the information i have I need tools- MB991668 microphone and
MB996048 harmonic tensioner, piece of metal bolted to crank. is this a must. any advice much appreciated.
spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:49   #2
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Is this him?

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happy diver For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:15   #3
spudd
Master Member

That's him . no fancy tensioner there. cheers.
Old May 6th, 2016, 08:47   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudd View Post
Hi I have an xc90 and my daughter has a 2002 v40 1.9d.
we recently purchased the car so want to change belts and tensioners etc.
according to the information i have I need tools- MB9, 91668 microphone and
MB996048 harmonic tensioner, piece of metal bolted to crank. is this a must. any advice much appreciated.
Some forum members have managed to make good equivalent tools for doing the cam belt and removing the EGR without splitting it.

This forum has several guides on how to do the belts (Google Volvo forum, cam belt and tensioner), although it's best to try and get a copy of the Volvo program, or ZF(Sachs) document downloads.

It's a fairly difficult job, that will take a good Indy 3 to 5 hours, if they do the job correctly and change the cam belt, tensioner, water pump (If it's a gen OEM Volvo unit, remove and inspect for play or case cracks etc), coolant flush, new thermostat (If not recent or OEM standard), new Aux belt, Aux belt tensioner (They tend to cause trouble after 100K if not replaced and an Aux belt failure at high revs will probably wipe out the cam belt and top end), idler pulley (If worn) and EGR (Clean or replace), in addition to normal service items.
The Gates cam belt kit (Includes a water pump), genuine Conti (Made in Germany only), or even real Volvo parts are all good.

Umm, I presume the microphone belonged to Velvis!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2016, 09:07   #5
spudd
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Some forum members have managed to make good equivalent tools for doing the cam belt and removing the EGR without splitting it.

This forum has several guides on how to do the belts (Google Volvo forum, cam belt and tensioner), although it's best to try and get a copy of the Volvo program, or ZF(Sachs) document downloads.

It's a fairly difficult job, that will take a good Indy 3 to 5 hours, if they do the job correctly and change the cam belt, tensioner, water pump (If it's a gen OEM Volvo unit, remove and inspect for play or case cracks etc), coolant flush, new thermostat (If not recent or OEM standard), new Aux belt, Aux belt tensioner (They tend to cause trouble after 100K if not replaced and an Aux belt failure at high revs will probably wipe out the cam belt and top end), idler pulley (If worn) and EGR (Clean or replace), in addition to normal service items.
The Gates cam belt kit (Includes a water pump), genuine Conti (Made in Germany only), or even real Volvo parts are all good.

Umm, I presume the microphone belonged to Velvis!
Uh ha. thanks for that will do a search.
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:24   #6
boyracer996

this is one of the easiest belts iv ever done to be honest, I use no locking tools at all.

line the bottom end up with the marks, line the top pulley up with its mark, loosen the tensioner and remove the belt.

refit with no slack on the opposite side to the tensioner, use a screwdriver to lever the tensioner and nip up the nut. experience will tell you how tight to make it, if you can twist the belt a little then you should be grand.

turn her over by hand a few times and line your marks back up, if all good then build back up ?

good luck
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boyracer996 For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2016, 14:43   #7
spudd
Master Member

Just a thought, does it need crank pulley off.
Old May 6th, 2016, 14:56   #8
boyracer996

yeah mate
Old May 6th, 2016, 22:33   #9
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer996 View Post
this is one of the easiest belts iv ever done to be honest, I use no locking tools at all.

line the bottom end up with the marks, line the top pulley up with its mark, loosen the tensioner and remove the belt.

refit with no slack on the opposite side to the tensioner, use a screwdriver to lever the tensioner and nip up the nut. experience will tell you how tight to make it, if you can twist the belt a little then you should be grand.

turn her over by hand a few times and line your marks back up, if all good then build back up ?

good luck
Well granted that I've only done the belt on the one car but I'd suggest not using any locking tool is a plan to get a P0015 error a few days later and then spending weeks trying to figure out what you did wrong. If you've got the expertise, background and confidence that you'll be able to line up everything just so, I guess you can try it without tools but man, it's a pain in the #$ to do this job twice so my opinion would be to at least get the cam locking tool specific to this vehicle (the cams get locked from the backside). I would also use the crank locking pin but I'm willing to accept that that part is optional. You don't need a fancy counterhold tool. Just make one yourself or use an impact gun to get the crank bolt back on nice and tight.

As per the previous suggestion, making sure that you've got no slack on the rhs of the belt when you are resetting the tension on the tensioner is super key.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 00:11   #10
boyracer996

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Well granted that I've only done the belt on the one car but I'd suggest not using any locking tool is a plan to get a P0015 error a few days later and then spending weeks trying to figure out what you did wrong. If you've got the expertise, background and confidence that you'll be able to line up everything just so, I guess you can try it without tools but man, it's a pain in the #$ to do this job twice so my opinion would be to at least get the cam locking tool specific to this vehicle (the cams get locked from the backside). I would also use the crank locking pin but I'm willing to accept that that part is optional. You don't need a fancy counterhold tool. Just make one yourself or use an impact gun to get the crank bolt back on nice and tight.

As per the previous suggestion, making sure that you've got no slack on the rhs of the belt when you are resetting the tension on the tensioner is super key.
its really not difficult, its a single cam engine with solid cam pulley, ideal for a first attempt at a belt. I would say you timed it up wrong if you got a fault stored or bad running afterwards. Likely didnt turn it over by hand a few times once the new belt was fitted to check your marks lined up again.

Nothing really moves when the belt is removed, the cam pulley may move slightly but its not hard to bring back to the mark, so dont panic.

I usually line the crank up first, then make my own mark on the cam and backing plate. That way you cant go wrong.

Good luck, if you need any help, or get stuck, just ask
The Following User Says Thank You to boyracer996 For This Useful Post: