Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing belt tension

Views : 3092

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2016, 02:21   #11
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

If you want to be a long term owner, do not listen to how anyone else except Mr Volvo does a main cam belt service. Some clowns only change the cam belt and in most cases when the cam belt has broken, it's the tensioner, aux belt or water pump that failed.

Pay particular attention to any torque settings, as it can result in some real trouble with water pumps and tensioners in particular.
If the water pump is a non OEM one (It will say Renault on the inside), or shows any signs of side or end float, it should be replaced and a new gasket is required.

If there are any signs of a cam shaft oil seal leak, it should be changed. If the car has be washed underneath on a regular basis, it can be difficult to see if it's leaking until the cover is off. The V40 diesels are not known for oil seal failures, but it's still good to check.
The pulley only needs removing to change the seal, which obviously complicates the timing situation.

I don't think that any of the bolts need locktight, but if they do (The EGR ones do), don;t think that just because you think it feels like it won't come loose, that you can ignore the instructions, or use the wrong type of thread locker.
Lower strength thread lockers are sometimes used to stop a hex bolt or machine screw corroding in and that can make the next change a real PITA.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 15:42   #12
Emh936

Default help

So had my timing belt tensioner and cam sprocket replace and now my check engine light is coming on my question is how hard is it to get the car back on the right timing taking it back to the shop that did the work they used the tools required to change a timing belt also had seals replaced and the cvvt was slinging oil so it was replaced any advice would be appreciated

Ps I did read somewhere that the tensioner could be to tight causing the cel to com on

Last edited by Emh936; May 7th, 2016 at 15:57. Reason: Added info
Emh936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 20:31   #13
boyracer996

Ever done a cam belt yourself skyship?
boyracer996 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boyracer996 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2016, 22:45   #14
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer996 View Post
Ever done a cam belt yourself skyship?
Yes, but I don't really enjoy working on engines anymore and prefer to pay others that have the correct tools and software. I also like the 2 to 4 year warranty that you get when a job is done by a good Indy.
If you fit expensive parts yourself and they fail, it's very difficult to get your money back and compensation for the damage done by their failure, or the waste of time involved.
Very few non farmers do their own maintenance in Germany because of the regulations concerning fluid disposal (You can't even wash a car on private property) and what you are allowed to do on private property. It often prohibits vehicle maintenance in the land rights or property lease terms.

There are some classic car clubs that have real good tool kits and ramps or lifts, but none in my immediate area.

The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2016, 23:13   #15
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Yes, but I don't really enjoy working on engines anymore and prefer to pay others that have the correct tools and software. I also like the 2 to 4 year warranty that you get when a job is done by a good Indy.
If you fit expensive parts yourself and they fail, it's very difficult to get your money back and compensation for the damage done by their failure, or the waste of time involved.
Very few non farmers do their own maintenance in Germany because of the regulations concerning fluid disposal (You can't even wash a car on private property) and what you are allowed to do on private property. It often prohibits vehicle maintenance in the land rights or property lease terms.

There are some classic car clubs that have real good tool kits and ramps or lifts, but none in my immediate area.
Germany sounds like a dictatorship skyship.
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2016, 23:13   #16
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emh936 View Post
So had my timing belt tensioner and cam sprocket replace and now my check engine light is coming on my question is how hard is it to get the car back on the right timing taking it back to the shop that did the work they used the tools required to change a timing belt also had seals replaced and the cvvt was slinging oil so it was replaced any advice would be appreciated

Ps I did read somewhere that the tensioner could be to tight causing the cel to com on
Not heard of a tensioner fitting fault causing a check engine light before, BUT if the timing is off, it can trigger a CEL although I'm not sure what the limit is, as it might be 2 teeth off rather than one. 3 teeth off and it might be new engine time!

What was the engine doing when you ran it ?

One of the forum guides does cover resetting the timing after removing the pulley.

Old May 9th, 2016, 02:09   #17
Emh936

Quote:
Not heard of a tensioner fitting fault causing a check engine light before, BUT if the timing is off, it can trigger a CEL although I'm not sure what the limit is, as it might be 2 teeth off rather than one. 3 teeth off and it might be new engine time!

One of the forum guides does cover resetting the timing after removing the pulley.
It runs great just throws a cel now I am taking it back to the shop Friday had to replace the Cvvt gear it was slinging oil anyway the car is running Good so confused no starting issues or running issues

Last edited by Emh936; May 9th, 2016 at 02:14.
Old May 9th, 2016, 02:11   #18
Emh936

Quote:

I have not been able to find this forum guid thank you I will be taking the car back to the mechanic
Old May 10th, 2016, 14:23   #19
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emh936 View Post
I have not been able to find this forum guid thank you I will be taking the car back to the mechanic
I've got some references to it in my VVT guide. See my footer for links.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old May 10th, 2016, 17:00   #20
Emh936

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
I've got some references to it in my VVT guide. See my footer for links.
Thank you great stuff, I would also like to know, if I may, do you know if the vvt solenoid goes out will it distroy the vvt plunger o ring? Worried that the new vvt I had put on my Volvo may be in jeopardy if the solenoid that was put on isn't working properly the car does go in Friday to find out why the cel is on