Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I said i'll be back!

Views : 24032

Replies : 250

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 6th, 2016, 01:26   #1
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Default I said i'll be back!

Having been absent for a while except for occasional visits due to lack of a Volvo, i now find myself the proud owner of a 1988 760 GLEa V6 estate!

Picked it up yesterday via an ebay listing. Aside from a few "silly faults", it's pretty much spot on throughout and so far is almost certainly the best 700 estate i've owned to date.
My one minor criticism of the others is they weren't quite pokey enough but they all had the B230E 131bhp engines. This one gets round that with 500+cc more, 2 extra cylinders and an extra 38bhp all of which make themselves known!

It was owned by an elderly gent in Rickmansworth and i think he only ever tickled the loud pedal as after an Italian decoke on the M11 on the way home, the engine is much livelier!

Look out for more posts as i go through the various small repairs it needs, fit LED headlamp bulbs (ones that actually work and give a good beam pattern) and generally get it up to the standard i want it to be.

There will probably be a few posts asking about the ECC system as that isn't working correctly (air delivery selector not making any difference at all!) and maybe a few other things too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 02:30   #2
TonyS9
Premier Member

Fitting number plate! but not sure about LED headlights, I didn't think such things where available (well ones that actually work). You will find H4 LEDs but they will not work as headlights.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 06:31   #3
psl
Master Member

Love the colour
psl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psl For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 09:30   #4
stephend
Premier Member

Good to have you back, m'Laird. Looks like a tidy motor you've got there.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 10:02   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Fitting number plate! but not sure about LED headlights, I didn't think such things where available (well ones that actually work). You will find H4 LEDs but they will not work as headlights.
Fitting in more ways than one! Obviously the 760 reference but i've also got into LPG in the past year or so and although nothing is definite yet, i may well add LPG to it, in which case the number plate is only one letter out!

As for the H4 LEDs, i totally understand what you're saying as it took me a long time find some that did what they said on the box but i've found at least 2 sources of them now in this country.

http://www.powerfuluk.com/h4-led-400...hite-pair.html

These are very similar :

http://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/coll...nversion-9-32v

For comparison, one evening i got my car lined up with two others :

Mine is in the middle with the bulbs from Powerful UK and the brightest lights with the very obvious beam pattern, the one on the left has ebay cheapie "Xenon Look" bulbs which are already an improvement over standard and the one on the right is on Nightbreakers.

They're expensive at £69 but will last a long time (50000 hours expected life time, equates to 2m miles at 40mph) and with Nightbreakers coming in about £30 a pair and having to be changed regularly (according to the local Police, their Nightbreakers are changed every 2-3 months, usually through failure but they do have their lights on a lot) the cost of Nightbreakers soon mounts up and those LED H4s outperform them.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 10:03   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psl View Post
Love the colour
Thanks - me too! Really suits the car and looking forward to getting the polisher on it!

Old Aug 6th, 2016, 10:07   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Good to have you back, m'Laird. Looks like a tidy motor you've got there.
Thanks Stephen - it is a very tidy motor indeed. It has little bits here and there and the obvious ding in the tailgate (apparently caused by a flying trampoline during a freak mini-tornado) but nothing serious. It's just as nice inside as well, the moo-cow could do with some balm but there are no rips/tears and looks as if it's been kept clean regularly from new.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 12:14   #8
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Thanks - me too! Really suits the car and looking forward to getting the polisher on it!
We used to have a '86 360 GL in that colour, ahh memories. Sold on but I think scrapped now

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23
James_EG_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James_EG_940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 6th, 2016, 12:46   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The previous 740 estates i've had were Blue-Green, silver and dark blue metallic. Out of all 4, i think this is the nicest although i'm a fan of blue cars.

I've just dug out the clear side repeaters and i believe the postie has just delivered the new thermostat for it. Postie did a "knock 'n' run" job and i can't open the front door to retrieve the package on the front step as one of the dogs is too close to the door and won't move her furry butt. She's an elderly 15st Rottweiler so unless she wants to move, she ain't moving!

Old Aug 6th, 2016, 12:49   #10
deeman940
Master Member

Nice car...your n/s headlight wiper has a mind of it's own like mine!
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post: