Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.0d Timing belt replaced: less performance

Views : 1946

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2017, 13:24   #1
hansC30

Default 2.0d Timing belt replaced: less performance

Hi all,

I just let someone replace my timing belt (not official volvo garage) and it seems I have less performance now. At first the engine wouldn't start with error P0341: power train camshaft position sensor "A" circuit range performance (bank 1 or single sensor)
So he noticed that he put it on incorrectly, fixed it so the error was gone and now it seems like the engine is lacking performance. 0-60mph is now 12 seconds.. Is it possible that the error is gone but the timing belt is still not perfectly aligned? Could there be some kind of small margin before the error toggles?

Any help will be much appreciated!
hansC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 14:01   #2
volvo for ever
Premier Member

if it was okay before he fitted it theres yer answer..

if i remember unless you lock up the crank it can move either way
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 14:16   #3
Lancee
Premier Member

Only my perception as a layman, and don't panic when you read this but hopefully not an interference head (but likely) and damage been done to valve/s by cambelt being fitted incorrectly ?

Might need a compression test to make sure ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 17:06   #4
hansC30

Engine was able to rotate fully even with the the error (by hand so to speak) but would not turn by trying to start with key. I checked volvo Vida but it is apparently not so easy to check if it is aligned correctly.. Do you know if there are any marks on the belt/cam/crankshaft?
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 17:09   #5
hansC30

The guy said that it was only one tooth wrong and after repairing the engine would start.. Could you damage it by being one tooth of and manually rotating the engine? How would one perform a compression test? Something I could do with Vida? What do you mean with interference head?
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 19:27   #6
Lancee
Premier Member

Do a search for interference head on Google, that should explain it better than I can.

As I said I am a layman in these matters, you really need more expert advice, Hopefully another more qualified member will chime in.

As I also said, don't panic regarding my original posting, I just thought you should be considering the scenario under the circumstances before you start chasing your tail trying to sort the fault.

I guess the bottom line is it was working before the cambelt was changed and now it isn't so it should be the responsibility of whoever carried out the work, and not yours, to identify the fault and put it right?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 19:32   #7
Bloders2

im a little confused - can you clarify
when you say it was turned over by hand is this before trying to start it?
IF it was turned by hand and there were no clashes then no damage should have occured.
IF however it was turned over by hand AFTER trying (unsuccessfully) to start it, then something may be amiss.
Id say that either
1) timing is out and it is causing low performance
2) when engine was started, damage has been done and your now low on compression

id get the timing checked again, AND then do a leak down test (i prefer these to compression, but each to their own)
im afraid to say its almost definately caused by errors in workmanship
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloders2 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 20:19   #8
hansC30

It is indeed so that he tried to turn it over by hand and heardno nothing weirs, he then turned on the ignition and tried to start but the starter motor would not even turn because of the error.. So at no point the engine turned but would not start, it would not even turn. So I guess nothing is really damaged.

I talked with the guy and he said well at first I had the error so the engine would turn by hand but not when trying to start, then I fixed it and the engine turned and started so it cannot possibly be that the belt is on wrong.. So to make sure, this is a wrong conclusion? Is the ecm capable of sensing it is "kind of not on correct" but not that is on "exactly as it should be" ? So 2 teeth wrong would give an error and 1 tooth wrong not give an error? :-) is this a correct assumption?

Thanks for all your quick replies btw :-)

Last edited by hansC30; Sep 11th, 2017 at 21:31.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 17:23   #9
hansC30

Could anyone confirm the above theorie that not having the error does not necessarily mean that the timing is correct? Thanks☺️
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 19:44   #10
Bloders2

i dont believe the car knew in the first place the belt was on wrong - i suspect somethign else was amiss - maybe hed fogotten to put the crank sensor back on?

if it turned over by hand and nothing crunched then i say strip it off and re do the timing.
I dont want to be too harsh, but if he got it a tooth or two out, then id question how good he is, and id certainly suspect it being a tooth out now.

Its also the cheapest next step.

if i can slightly hijack your thread, my v50 drive 1.6 has a habit now and again of not cranking over or sometimes, fires up and then cuts straight out. any ideas as it sounds a little similar.
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote