Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Canvassing D5/D4/D3 owners - how many are there?

Views : 800

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 12th, 2017, 14:39   #1
Yobbo
Dave

Default Canvassing D5/D4/D3 owners - how many are there?

In response to Welton's T5 thread, can we have a hands up for who has the baritone version of the wonderful Volvo 5-pot?

Mine's on 120k now with some subtle but effective mods that have transformed the driving experience.

I would say I've taken some inspiration from the forum user T5 Monkey and Ben from Shark Performance in getting to where I am with my V50 D5 which I have nerdily named 'Thor'.

For me, the car does everything I need of it - comfortably swats off boy racers, turns into back-road beast when I want it to be, and returns 55mpg on long haul runs.

I'd be loathe to get rid of him and look to keep the car for the long term (until the government enforces us to drive hydro-electric bubble cars that run off of ****...).
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 15:51   #2
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Current D3, previous D5, both stock. No plans to modify - the C70 isn't ever going to handle well enough to need the extra ooomph, and I tend to drive for economy anyway.

On paper the D3 has less power and torque than the D5, the accleration figure suffers particularly as an auto vs D5 manual. But I have to say in real life it feels quicker when you prod it, especially from lower revs - it feels as if the turbo comes in sooner.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Proghound For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 16:53   #3
Baxlin
Old Rocker

D3 here, when I get it back, that is!

33000 miles, and suspect injectors, currently being investigated as being the cause of some weird intermittent dashboard messages and misfiring.

Oh the joys of a basic Citroen C3 courtesy car......(OK, it's only done 1200 miles, so it's nice in that respect!)
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 10:50   #4
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
D3 here, when I get it back, that is!

33000 miles, and suspect injectors, currently being investigated as being the cause of some weird intermittent dashboard messages and misfiring.

Oh the joys of a basic Citroen C3 courtesy car......(OK, it's only done 1200 miles, so it's nice in that respect!)
Bloody hell, hope that gets sorted, sounds far too odd on such a new car!
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 12:55   #5
D5driver
No Spam here

V60 D5 here and I can honestly say it's the best car I have had to date

One things for sure. No matter how bad something may be, it will have been much much worse and with lots more drama for the spammer
D5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5driver For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 13:05   #6
DEdge
2011 S40 R design D4

2011 s40 D4 r design owner here

purchased last year with 24k miles and a brand new DPF (previous owner had it as a town car) remap / DPF delete at 25k, straight through exhaust at 40k, currently sat on 51k

only problems to note is the ground on the battery came loose one time and O/S/F spring broke on the pigtail

MPG when i bought it

50 motorway
47 average

after remap /dpf delete

54 motorway
49 average

after backbox delete (no res on my car)

63 motorway [have seen 74 during 50mph average roadworks]
52 average

i imagine alot of the MPG increase was due to the engine actually becoming properly run in or me learning to drive better vs the modifications.

zero drone from exhaust at motorway speeds, but note i still have the cat in place to stop the exhaust being smelly, zero smoke unless you are banging redline or its a very hot day (could be sorted with a bigger inter-cooler i imagine)

future plans
bilstein / ebach strut and spring
maybe some 18" wheels, if i can find anything i like the look of, considering 18" cratus wheels off an xc60/90 / 2013 focus ST wheels.
been tempted by some bola / ronal aero 18's i have seen on ebay recently, but really not sure if they would suit my car at all
clutch, bite point has gotten quite high, but still holds full torque for now. any uprated clutch plates that fit our gearbox? theres always the possibility i will lust for more power.

Last edited by DEdge; Sep 14th, 2017 at 13:13.
DEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DEdge For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 12:53   #7
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEdge View Post
2011 s40 D4 r design owner here

purchased last year with 24k miles and a brand new DPF (previous owner had it as a town car) remap / DPF delete at 25k, straight through exhaust at 40k, currently sat on 51k

only problems to note is the ground on the battery came loose one time and O/S/F spring broke on the pigtail

MPG when i bought it

50 motorway
47 average

after remap /dpf delete

54 motorway
49 average

after backbox delete (no res on my car)

63 motorway [have seen 74 during 50mph average roadworks]
52 average

i imagine alot of the MPG increase was due to the engine actually becoming properly run in or me learning to drive better vs the modifications.

zero drone from exhaust at motorway speeds, but note i still have the cat in place to stop the exhaust being smelly, zero smoke unless you are banging redline or its a very hot day (could be sorted with a bigger inter-cooler i imagine)

future plans
bilstein / ebach strut and spring
maybe some 18" wheels, if i can find anything i like the look of, considering 18" cratus wheels off an xc60/90 / 2013 focus ST wheels.
been tempted by some bola / ronal aero 18's i have seen on ebay recently, but really not sure if they would suit my car at all
clutch, bite point has gotten quite high, but still holds full torque for now. any uprated clutch plates that fit our gearbox? theres always the possibility i will lust for more power.
Where did you get your car mapped/DPF delete done if you don't mind me asking?

I'd be keen to delete the DPF (and EGR) if I could achieve that without squid ink splurting out the pipes.

Getting great MPG too, wish my average was like that haha!
Old Sep 17th, 2017, 13:01   #8
DEdge
2011 S40 R design D4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
Where did you get your car mapped/DPF delete done if you don't mind me asking?

I'd be keen to delete the DPF (and EGR) if I could achieve that without squid ink splurting out the pipes.

Getting great MPG too, wish my average was like that haha!
i got it done at angel tuning in oxford, although i didnt get the egr totally deleted, otherwise it would smoke alot! egr has been 'retarded' so its not active as often as it otherwise would be and i can still enjoy faster engine warmups

[had it totally removed on a golf and it smoked like crazy and barely got up to temp in winter]
Old Nov 29th, 2017, 15:14   #9
pjuniper

Just acquired 2010 V50 D3 SE Lux with 36k miles. Upgraded from the 1.6d 16v, and the difference between the Volvo engine and the PSA 1.6 makes the car feel much more upmarket, not to mention much more torque.
pjuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjuniper For This Useful Post:

Tags
5-cylinder, 5-pot, coal, diesel, industrial age