Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Is an oil cooler required?

Views : 3875

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 7th, 2008, 22:42   #1
yachtingfreak

Default Is an oil cooler required?

Hi, I am about to change cars from a citroen c5 estate to a V70 auto estate as my better half has a bad back and finds this car easier to drive. The dealer says that I do not need an oil cooler as there is one fitted. However, one website says you can't fit one and dont need one, and another says that one is essential. I will be towing a Fendt caravan (1500kg) and a horse box (but not at the same time) Can anyone advise if I need a gearbox oil cooler and if so where to get one. Also can you get a gearbox oil temperature guage??
Thanks
Andy
yachtingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 23:25   #2
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Some V70's have cooling fins on the sump. Early V70's had a oil cooler which fitted below the radiator, which I think can fit some later V70's

Ask Rufe he is a main dealer parts man.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:13   #3
Rufe
TRADER

hi,

the first question i need to ask is what year is the V70?

if its whats generally known as the P1 model (classic shape, 1997 > 2000) then there are two types, but both of these can only be fitted to vehicles with non turbo engines. Volvo recommend fitting them if possible. If it is a 4 speed automatic, then models up to 1998 have part number 9492870. For models 1999> they have part number 9499131 (I can tell you model year of the vehicle if you are unsure, by sending me the reg or the chassis number). If it is a 5 speed auto the part number is 9499131 regardless of the year. (i have seen people talk about the fact that these CAN be fitted to vehicles they are not intended for, ie vehicles with turbo's, but I do not have any information about doing this, but if you search this forum you should get results.)

If the car is what is known as a P2 model, ie, between 2000 and 2007, then volvo do not list a seperate oil cooler for this model.

Finally, Volvo do not supply gearbox temperature gauges, but i would imagine you could find them out in the aftermarket though I have never seen one, but have never looked.

If you need a price for one of the baove part numbers let me know.

<<< FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PHONE: 01792 790066 / 01792 784272 >>>
* YOU MUST QUOTE 'C3' WHEN CALLING FOR OUR BEST PRICES! (weekdays 9am to 5pm) *
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufe For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 22:46   #4
yachtingfreak

Smile

Thanks for the replys. I have spoken to the dealer about an 07 v70. Tey assure me that one is not required and Kenlowe have replied to me saying there are no oil coolers available for this model as it is a high pressure box with a blt in oil cooler. I guess the fact that there arn't loads of posts complaining of gearbox failures means that they are pretty robust(unlike a renault that I very nearly bought 2 years ago. thank god for what car internet reviews)
Thanks again
Andy
yachtingfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 08:34   #5
dodgyken
Master Member

I have a 2008 V70 D5 automatic - with HEICO remap.

It tows without problem the 1800kg that is my race car and trailer. Volvo confirmed (both UK and Swiss dealers) that no extra cooler was required - or was available.

I specifically told them what I was towing - and said I was worried about it, despite being lower than the maximum allowed.

It is a stonkingly good towcar.
dodgyken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dodgyken For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 14:40   #6
Paddler Ed
Volvo Driver Born 'n bred

Location: Armidale, NSW, Australia... home of rust free 240's!

My dad tows a single axle Fendt that he's had plated at 1700kg iirc, without any additional coolers for the gearboxes. He's used an XC90 for about the last 5 yrs or so, and prior to that an XC70. All of those have been geartronics and have had no problems. He's about to go into a new V70 D5 AWD as he doesn't want an XC90 now.
'05 BMW 320d E46 Touring.GF's car
Paddler Ed is offline   Reply With Quote