Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Why have I been made to feel this way? Answers on a postcard...

Views : 4449

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2006, 13:21   #1
Dan F
Premier Member

Default Why have I been made to feel this way? Answers on a postcard...

I posted this piece of text earlier, but no-one has addressed it, admittedly it may have been beyond the scope of the thread it was in, in which case I have started this new one.

To reiterate:
I have a RICA map and think it is great, but I get the distinct impression that if I decided to attend on of 'the most popular in the UK' performance meets, I would be railroaded and cajoled into changing to MTE. That is not a good way to feel and why I haven't been to a CB meet for a while. Plus, you guys don't want to upset my other half, trust me.

So can anyone say why a long standing member of this board (guess who) who is happy with a product (rightly or wrongly represented at the time of sale, although not the point here!), might feel that he would be alienated (or intimidated even) by other members of this forum, into using or being made to feel like he should use, another brand/type of software, basically so the company from which he bought his current software, can be further ostracised by this board, or indeed just to prevent ostracisation of himself by this board?

I have deliberately avoided any meets since all this crap blew up, just because I don't want to be lumped in a 'pool' with a company no-one on this board likes, just because I use their product.
I should feel that I can attend these gatherings without being 'pigeonholed' because I am happy with something others aren't.
If I did turn up, I feel I would just spend most of my time arguing a losing point against a tirade of opinions from those who seek to 'convert or crush'.
Don't anyone dare say that isn't the case, I feel this way and there must be a reason that I feel this way.

My proposed solution to the cause of this anguish?
Bob,
PLEASE BAN ALL COMMERCIAL POSTINGS FROM THIS BOARD ENITIRELY AND GIVE IT BACK TO THE PRIVATE ENTHUSIASTS WHO USED TO COME HERE FOR FRIENDLY BANTER AND ADVICE!!!

After that, perhaps people could all revert to being nice to each other and the common good of actually offering advice and support to others, regardless of their personal choice in any products they may use.

Commercial postings have poisoned this board and should be outlawed.

If a company wants a presence, it should be limited to paid advertisements. End of!

I am actually sad I felt I had to write this!
Regards,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 13:25   #2
pault5

I SECOND THAT.
Paul
pault5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 13:52   #3
bobcat
Premier Member

Ive been to a meet at crooked billet, and the choice of my ecu never came up, i personally dont feel they would put you in a corner because you have a rica ecu. Also these heated posts that you have recently refered to, havent actually put down any products or commented on their relative performance to each other, its more to do with the supplier and the way the products are sold.

I do find that commercial parties do tend to scrabble for business though as you have mentioned, which can be a bit off putting for some people, but generally a company saying " i can supply this" etc is normally an answer to a post.

Last edited by bobcat; Mar 10th, 2006 at 13:56.
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 14:08   #4
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Hi Dan, long time no speak mate

i've been to several CB meets & can safely say i've always been made to feel welcome, never been left in a corner because i'm not interested in an MTE (or any other remap for that matter) & as far as i'm aware several regulars have or intend to use a RICA ecu & are more than happy to turn up everytime

there are a few members who are swopping brands of ecu & yes i have noticed they go to the mentioned meets, but having been to these meets i think you'll find that its not that they are being rail-roaded into the decision, but are getting the chance to drive other peoples cars & see how the different ecu's react/drive. Thats what i make of it anyway

Duane
Pedro Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 15:21   #5
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Duane.
How's it going? Good I hope.
What I have posted is how I feel. I am sure others can see exactly where I am coming from on this.
You have made it clear you are not interested in a remap, which kinda makes you 'Mr Switzerland' in all of this and have no real side of the fence to come down on, hence no one will waste their time trying to sway you.
The members you refer to with RICA maps are (if I am not mistaken) slowly but surely converting to MTE, and one cannot help but wonder if that is down to being 'exposed' to it much more (due in part to the close proximity of all things SW-autos and MTE related) to the CB and also the constant reassurance and reaffirment from others that MTE is the rightway to go/best thing to do. (Oh, plus it won't hurt to give RICA another poke in the eye right?)
Either way, I would bet money that those who have yet to buy any chip but show intent, will certainly be pushed in the direction of MTE, after all, why go to the lengths on this board of telling all and sundry that RICA are rubbish only to then agree to and even recommend to someone at these meets that they should have RICA? It just doesn't add up!!!

I *have* been to a CB meet and a few others too, but I do not feel the atmosphere now would be the same as it was then, due to what has happened on the boards.
People didn't used to be distinctly polarised like they are now and it puts me right off going to any meets. It just doesn't feel like it would be fun anymore.
Call me sentimental, but it was always about the car and the joy of trying/asking about/seeing something different.
Maybe that will never happen again, due to the meets I remember being at the fledgling stage of the Volvo tuning era and things have matured now. (editted to say, that I use the term 'matured' in a state of the market sense and also, loosely!)
It is just the behaviour of a few on her really reminds me of school yard gangs and peer pressure to join this one or that one. Personally, I just go my own way!

Later,
Dan.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 15:53   #6
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan F
Hi Duane.
How's it going? Good I hope.
i'm not to bad thanks mate, struggling on as you do. How's things going with you?

Quote:
What I have posted is how I feel. I am sure others can see exactly where I am coming from on this.
i know exactly what you mean mate, but i just don't think it is a case of bullying

Quote:
The members you refer to with RICA maps are (if I am not mistaken) slowly but surely converting to MTE, and one cannot help but wonder if that is down to being 'exposed' to it much more (due in part to the close proximity of all things SW-autos and MTE related) to the CB and also the constant reassurance and reaffirment from others that MTE is the rightway to go/best thing to do. (Oh, plus it won't hurt to give RICA another poke in the eye right?)
Either way, I would bet money that those who have yet to buy any chip but show intent, will certainly be pushed in the direction of MTE, after all, why go to the lengths on this board of telling all and sundry that RICA are rubbish only to then agree to and even recommend to someone at these meets that they should have RICA? It just doesn't add up!!!
with alot (most) of the people who attend the CB meets being from this forum & the current arguments going on what you said about the bullying makes perfect sense, BUT if existing RICA customers are swopping over then there must have been an intial period of unhappiness with the original product/service (who knows) to begin with, i know if i just brought something i wouldn't just sell it & buy another just because someone says so (or is that just me?)

Quote:
I *have* been to a CB meet and a few others too, but I do not feel the atmosphere now would be the same as it was then, due to what has happened on the boards.
People didn't used to be distinctly polarised like they are now and it puts me right off going to any meets. It just doesn't feel like it would be fun anymore.
Call me sentimental, but it was always about the car and the joy of trying/asking about/seeing something different.
Maybe that will never happen again, due to the meets I remember being at the fledgling stage of the Volvo tuning era and things have matured now. (editted to say, that I use the term 'matured' in a state of the market sense and also, loosely!)
as you say, being there at the beginning things will now be different. Back then it was "look what i've found, i'm going to try these out etc", where as now everything is tried & tested (with a few exceptions) & its all down to personal preference to which is better/best. Things change & its not always for the better

Duane
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 16:04   #7
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Dan,

Come along to the next meet, I'd love to see a red C70, never seen one !

Apart from the Bev n Kev, lol.

Don't wind yourself up about it mate, best thing to do is pop along.

I'm going to the VT dyno day, as I have no problems.

Whitey
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
SaffronC70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 16:26   #8
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi mate.
Things are pretty good at the mo. Hope it stays that way!

Just to be clear, I never once mentioned the word bullying.
It may have been implied by the use of some of my words, but bullying is a little more obvious in most senses than seeking to divert and influence.
No one is saying anyone is being bullied into anything, but just by sheer virtue of prolonged contact with certain people over a certain length of time adds to the weight of any 'suggestions' which may even just be transiently conveyed in the middle of a conversation.
Yes, you are right, if people change their ECU maps for a different brand, maybe they had a latent want to do that anyway, but it could also be because they have been converted or want to 'fit in' properly with the other members at the gathering. Either way, no one can claim to be unbiased at these meets if they openly deride the competition on the main form of open communication between members, i.e. this board.
We could get deep about this all day. but it will serve no purpose, plus my fingers are tired.
The long and the short of it is, the way it looks to me at the mo, is that very soon the CB meets will be little more than an MTE/SW 'fan' meet.
After reading all this why would anyone with *any* other sort of chip want to even bother turning up? Who is to say who will be turned on next?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to keep going to meets, but I am just sad it has all got to this stage of mainly intense bickering.

Later dude,
Dan.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 16:30   #9
adieu
Master Member

Does this mean I have to stand in a corner on my own because i'm one of the few with a Hybrid turbo from Turbo Technics and not a 19T? Seem to remember you slated TT good and proper DAN...

Well come along to the next CB as i'm sure i could use the company in the corner for non standard tuning...

Above is meant as a Joke, maybe.

Dan please come along i'm sure you would enjoy the day and if nothing else i'll buy you a beer/shady/coke.

Regards

Iain

Last edited by adieu; Mar 10th, 2006 at 16:32.
adieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 16:33   #10
Pedro Fandango
I've Been Banned

i do appologise, i did use the word "bullying" & was over the top sorry

only those who have done so know the true reason they changed

well i do hope your wrong about the future of the CB meets but only time will tell

take it easy mate

Duane