Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vibration Problem

Views : 1112

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2017, 10:30   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Vibration Problem

The initial reason for engine out and rings was to replace the clutch. It seemed that oil had leaked onto clutch and It was shuddering on acceleration and deceleration. The clutch had some oil but not vert much. With new seal and clutch fitted i still have the same symptoms so it looks as though that was not causing the problem. I am now wondering it the vibration is coming through the drive line. center support bearing? UJ? It comes on at low, unlike wheel imballance Any ideas? speed. I know that I can rule out front wheel bearing

Last edited by arcturus; Jul 29th, 2017 at 11:04.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arcturus For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 12:34   #2
v8250

Logically, this could be coming from four places

1. Crank, worn end crank bearing
2. Gearbox, front or rear shaft bearings
3. Propshaft bearings
4. Propshaft out of phase https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt69zYAcXME

Start with the easiest, check gearbox front and rear shafts for any play, if play present fit new bearings. Next check/change prop bearings and check prop UJ's are 'in phase' meaning 3no UJ faces are in line along prop line. Lastly, check rear of crank.

Last edited by v8250; Jul 29th, 2017 at 12:38.
v8250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 13:59   #3
arcturus
arcturus

I think I can rule out the crank and gearbox as i have just rebuilt the engine with new rings and big end bearings and the crank was fine. The gearbox also has been renovated recently. The vibration started half way through a 1000 km trip so i don't think that is a "phase" problem. Is there any way of checking shaft center bearing in situ?
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 14:16   #4
arcturus
arcturus

B'n reading the manual and it's not too clear. This is on my 144 which will have the same set up more or less. It talks about unfastening the rear UJ from the diff' and sliding it out from center bearing. mentions splines. Am I correct in reading that as the shaft is spline-d into the bearing?
Old Jul 29th, 2017, 14:59   #5
v8250

If same as Amazon the prop is supported by bearing in mounting housing. This has a female spline, the male spline slides into female spline as a slider shaft enabling fore/aft position before mounting on to rear diff font flange. If vibration is coming from shaft it could be that the balancer weight/tab has fallen off. Easy way to check is to get prop dynamically balanced at local engineering workshop. It's worth rebuilding any prop if you've invested good time and money with and engine and gearbox rebuild...without it would spoil the new power/driveline experience...always best to sleep at night knowing everything is perfectly assembled; good luck.

PS if on 144 would be worth posting on 144 forum too
v8250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 04:11   #6
dcthompson

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the most obvious culprit(s)? The symptoms the author is experiencing are typical of one or more bad u-joints. Before going to the expense of straightening and balancing the drive shafts, I would replace any suspect u-joints (either with play or binding), and check the carrier bearing and support (another prime suspect). The u-joints can be had for about $5 each, as can the carrier bearing support. Thus for $20 the most obvious sources of the vibration can be eliminated.
dcthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dcthompson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 09:01   #7
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcthompson View Post
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the most obvious culprit(s)? The symptoms the author is experiencing are typical of one or more bad u-joints. Before going to the expense of straightening and balancing the drive shafts, I would replace any suspect u-joints (either with play or binding), and check the carrier bearing and support (another prime suspect). The u-joints can be had for about $5 each, as can the carrier bearing support. Thus for $20 the most obvious sources of the vibration can be eliminated.
Hi and thanks. That is going to be my next line of investigation. Just trying to rule out any other possible causes.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 10:17   #8
arcturus
arcturus

Got underneath car and I strongly suspect that this the culprit. Even if it isn't it needs replacing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7300004 (2).jpg (234.9 KB, 26 views)
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 11:05   #9
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Hello George, this is the vibration problem with your car.
Follow dcthompson an check carefully the u-joints for play and binding when getting the propshaft out. I wouldn't renew if they are ok.
Check the phase carefully in front of dismantling, do marks, and check after too!
Tryo find a NOS part of the rubber bearing, the new ones won't last 30 years again.
Good luck, regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 11:17   #10
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
Hello George, this is the vibration problem with your car.
Follow dcthompson an check carefully the u-joints for play and binding when getting the propshaft out. I wouldn't renew if they are ok.
Check the phase carefully in front of dismantling, do marks, and check after too!
Tryo find a NOS part of the rubber bearing, the new ones won't last 30 years again.
Good luck, regards, Kay
Thanks, I don't think that I will last another 30 years!