Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do you service your Car?

Views : 19299

Replies : 128

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: How do you service your car
Serviced by a Main Dealer 117 22.08%
Serviced by a Local garage 128 24.15%
Serviced only whern a fault develops 13 2.45%
Serviced 2X yearly 21 3.96%
Serviced by owner at home 308 58.11%
Not serviced 3 0.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 530. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 7th, 2011, 21:45   #71
Thanatos
VOC Member

I do what little I can, but with limited tools & knowledge... But I also have the help of the forum and friends on here to help if needed
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 09:51   #72
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
I know that I don't get stamps in the book but I keep all receipts to show what and when jobs were done, and I don't think you get anything more from a dealer even if you do get it stamped when the car is over 5 years old, they say you do but I think it's just another lever for them to keep the trade in prices down, I know I'm very grumpy about it but I've been stung too many times in the past over the 50 years that has made me do it the way I do.
Dealer stamps are worthless. Even with the stamps, who can actually prove that any work has been done. Many places will stamp the book for just an oil change, and do nothing else. Your method (with receipts) is much better.

Like most people here, I have a very deep, and long founded distrust of garages, with good reason, and do almost all my own repairs.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 09:55   #73
C70Carnut

Smile Willing to learn

I take it to the dealer and pay through the nose as it's a modern computerised car and I'm petrified of it. Having said that, this forum is making me think that I could do the basics myself.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:38   #74
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
I take it to the dealer and pay through the nose as it's a modern computerised car and I'm petrified of it.
If it's under warranty then there's good sense in doing that.

But once your warranty is up, you'll save yourself A LOT of money by either doing some of the simpler jobs yourself, or finding a local independant Volvo garage who you can get to trust.

Working on cars, with the correct information is rewarding, and a good tool kit is one of the best investments you'll ever make. I'm sure that my own set of 'garage tools' have paid for themselves many many times over.

Never be afraid of cars. Most of what goes wrong is easily diagnosed, and just as easily fixed.....It just needs you to have the courage and determination to tackle things as they crop up. And don't be afraid to ask and respond to as many questions as you need to get information. That's how we all benefit from forums like this one. Shared knowledge.

Lot's of info here anyway.

Last edited by Oilydad; Jun 8th, 2011 at 11:22.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 19:08   #75
Jon E A
Not so new Member

Thumbs up Thanks to the forum & its members

Think I can pretty much tick all of the above, except for not serviced at all.

Main dealer - expensive but provided me with a nice S40 loaner while mine was in for repair/MOT. I used to think that a dealer stamp was everything but not now. It says nothing about what was or wasn't done.

Local garage - Can be reasonably priced but they will try to undertake work that isn't really necessary, perhaps because replacing filters/brakes/etc is a quick & cheap profit for them.

I have recently started to undertake as much of my own servicing/repairs as I can after a local garage qouted ~£1500 for...

brakes & discs all round
brake fluid bleed/renewal
replacing a broken o/s/r coil (also replace n/s/r to match)
fixing a headlight that won't adjust
new n/s/f tyre
new fuel filter
new rear wiper arm
front anti-roll bar bushes

and this was after they had had £200 off me for a service & MOT!

This forum & all of its members has given me the info & confidence to tackle most of these jobs myself, so a big thanks out to all

Jon E A.
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 02:13   #76
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

I voted "Serviced by Local Garage" but my "Local Garage" is Jump Leads Volvo Indie & the amount Brian charges me it just aint worth doin it meself !!!!
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:22   #77
LynnTB
VOC Member

I voted for 'Local garage'.

I am ashamed to admit that I have owned her for 6 years and never done a thing (except repairs to get her through an mot). I think she has been topped up with oil once in that time. I have no idea if or when she was serviced before I bought her.

So I have booked her in for a 'Complete baseline service' with my local garage. Part of me would like to do the 'small' services myself but I am not sure that is possible, but we shall see.
LynnTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2011, 10:23   #78
LynnTB
VOC Member

I voted for 'Local garage'.

I am ashamed to admit that I have owned her for 6 years and never done a thing (except repairs to get her through an mot). I think she has been topped up with oil once in that time. I have no idea if or when she was serviced before I bought her.

So I have booked her in for a 'Complete baseline service' with my local garage. Part of me would like to do the 'small' services myself but I am not sure that is possible, but we shall see.
LynnTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2011, 20:47   #79
andy_d
Premier Member

It is , with the help from the info on here.
ok you do need a few tools and "stuff", and a Big kettle
but things like oil/oil filter/airfilter/plugs are all not that hard (bit messy/lot messy depending on if you spill the oil,,,) and within the scope of most folk who are brave enough to try.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 07:34   #80
Milky400

do the basics at home, filters, plugs, oil etc, local indy wanted £230 for interim srvice (oil change) oh and book stamp,Ive just done all filters(pollen, air, fuel) oil and plugs for 100 quid and took one and a half hours!!!

I have however booked it in for a free health check at the local Volvo garage that will flag up any other issues.
Milky400 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fastidiously serviced, friend, garage, home, main dealer, rarely serviced