Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket stereo and working factory sub-woofer?

Views : 1162

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2016, 20:45   #1
AndyPants
VOC Member

Default Aftermarket stereo and working factory sub-woofer?

So whilst the HU-655 is ok, the fact it doesn't play mp3s and has a tendency to skip on the slightest bump in the road means that I've been looking into replacing it with an aftermarket stereo.

I've determined my 04 V40:
  • Doesn't have the amp (no 6 pin DIN cable like my old C70 had).
  • Has an unused 8 pin connector - which I'm guessing is for a CD changer.
  • It does have a factory sub-woofer in the boot that works great with the HU-655.
So far I've managed to get an aftermarket pioneer stereo to work with all the speakers, except the sub woofer. Without the sub the rear is distinctly lacking in bass!

The cables I've got are:
Is it possible to get the factory woofer to work with an aftermarket stereo? I don't want to be butcher any of the factory wiring as I'd like to revert it later if need be. I haven't managed to find any different cables to the above.

It also appears that the HU-655 isn't supported by the yatour/grom type things.

Cheers!
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 22:16   #2
Griffithsbilly8

I'd just put an aftermarket sub and amp in. In that's what I did with mine now have more bass then you can throw a stick at and sound quality with factory speakers it amazing
Griffithsbilly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Griffithsbilly8 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2016, 22:58   #3
canis
Non Fragile

I've got two V40's, a 99 and a 00 plate (ph1 & ph2), and both have exactly the same audio setup as you describe; sub, no amp, unused cable, etc. The subwoofer is passively connected to the rear speakers, so it should already be working if you're using the existing cables.

Please may I draw your attention to this post I gave someone else, which explains more about the passive sub wiring.

Last edited by canis; Sep 18th, 2016 at 23:17.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 19:19   #4
AndyPants
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffithsbilly8 View Post
I'd just put an aftermarket sub and amp in. In that's what I did with mine now have more bass then you can throw a stick at and sound quality with factory speakers it amazing
That is an option, but I don't really want to resort to that if possible, since I'd be happy enough with the factory sub if I can get it working with an aftermarket stereo. Presumably putting an amp and another sub woofer would basically involve running wires through the car.

I don't really want to mess too much with it, I've had enough fun trying to get my Skoda's speakers to sound 'OK'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
I've got two V40's, a 99 and a 00 plate (ph1 & ph2), and both have exactly the same audio setup as you describe; sub, no amp, unused cable, etc. The subwoofer is passively connected to the rear speakers, so it should already be working if you're using the existing cables.

Please may I draw your attention to this post I gave someone else, which explains more about the passive sub wiring.
Thanks, yeah I did read about the sub working off the rear speakers, but yes I don't really get why it isn't working with the rear speakers. I can only assume it isn't getting power? But since there isn't an amp it seems a bit odd.

One possibility is connecting the blue wire from my unused DIN cable to the blue system remote control wire on my pioneer cable, and then hooking up the DIN's rear speaker connectors to the stereo. I doubt this would work though as the DIN itself wouldn't be plugged in.
Old Sep 24th, 2016, 20:03   #5
AndyPants
VOC Member

Just as an update to this as I had another go today - I hooked up the blue wire of my pioneer cable to the blue 'system remote' wire on my ISO adapter and I now have working rear speakers AND the sub woofer

This was unplugged as it had previously been used to connect to the DIN cable in my old C70!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 10:23   #6
canis
Non Fragile

There must be an amplifier somewhere then. I believe they're either under one of the fronts seats, or above the offside rear wheel arch inside the panel.

Whatever, glad you got it working. Well done.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 10:55   #7
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Ooh, mine has the factory sub woofer but with blown cones, so must have an amp as well, wonder if I could use that to power my rear 6x9 setup.
Old Sep 25th, 2016, 13:04   #8
druid
V40 Owner

The amp is a integral part of the sub so any powering as an amp must come from it.

An MS Warior living one day at a time
"Neville" 207,000 so far. Water use 0 - oil negligible....
druid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 19:04   #9
mariok1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPants View Post
Just as an update to this as I had another go today - I hooked up the blue wire of my pioneer cable to the blue 'system remote' wire on my ISO adapter and I now have working rear speakers AND the sub woofer

This was unplugged as it had previously been used to connect to the DIN cable in my old C70!
I had an yellow cable that hooked to the ACC of the wiring loom and by that got the subwoofer working with aftermarket Pioneer radio. Sound quality also improved alot but it may be because someone before me has butchered the cars speakers and changed them out
mariok1995 is offline   Reply With Quote