Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anybody got banded steel's on a 940? Advice please!

Views : 8787

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2016, 21:21   #11
Sausagebutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigyt View Post
940 on transit connect 16" steelies. 8" front 9" rear. 2.5 coils off the rear and 2 coils off the front i think. Gaz shocks all round. Connect steelies need to be machined out to fit the hubs on the volvo. 25mm spacers front and 30mm spacers rear

Sits Well does that Well definitely set in stone now 8 front and 9 rear looks proper smart... Nice change from alloys. Thinking of just using these 15" volvo steel's I'm on now so they will bolt straight on, cut the springs for the time being and eventually get some lowering springs and bilstiens. Going to have to pick your brains now how does your car manage speed bumps and hump back bridges with being low-ish? Cheers for the reply by the way!
Sausagebutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 12:55   #12
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

17x7 Citroen C6 spare wheels, not banded but I reckon 1" on the front and 2" on the back would be ok. I have tyres on this that keep the standard rolling radius but you could go a little narrower to give them a little stretch to ensure they clear the arches.
No spacers on the back, 5mm on the front to clear the struts.
Car is lowered with 40mm springs and Bilstein B4 dampers.

MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 13:23   #13
Craigyt

Being so low its not pleasant on roads with speed bumps but on anything wlse its perfectly useable
Craigyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 17:25   #14
Sausagebutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
17x7 Citroen C6 spare wheels, not banded but I reckon 1" on the front and 2" on the back would be ok. I have tyres on this that keep the standard rolling radius but you could go a little narrower to give them a little stretch to ensure they clear the arches.

Sits very nice too it's funny I'm going to be buying some b4s and Alex lowering springs, and it's same colour so these steel wheels you have they just bolt straight on? Might be another idea and they are 17 inch?
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 17:41   #15
Sausagebutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post

Sits very nice too it's funny I'm going to be buying some b4s and Alex lowering springs, and it's same colour so these steel wheels you have they just bolt straight on? Might be another idea and they are 17 inch? Different offset aren't they?
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 17:52   #16
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I couldn't remember who had fitted the Peugeot steelies - MiniNinjaRob, how could I forget? I love this look, and no need for banding either. I was very tempted to do this myself when I saw this car
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 17:58   #17
Sausagebutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I couldn't remember who had fitted the Peugeot steelies - MiniNinjaRob, how could I forget? I love this look, and no need for banding either. I was very tempted to do this myself when I saw this car

They look ace on there don't they, just wondering how he's got them on as I think they are a different fitment
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 18:09   #18
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Nope

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Volvo...-%201998).html

hehehe
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2016, 19:30   #19
Sausagebutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
Had a look at that before, does the offset not matter? I'm not sure lol the Volvo ones are 25 and the c6 ones are 32
Old Oct 27th, 2016, 00:08   #20
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

The front struts are the main issue inwards. As they lean in towards the centre of the car at the top the bigger the wheel the furthur in it can go. Sounds like 5mm spacers are needed on the front so it must still be pretty close.
At the back the offset isn't so much of a problem as there is a fair bit of room inwards. I trial fitted my 7x16 inch Peugeot steel wheels on the back of my 940 and they looked as if they would be OK even thought they are FWD 43mm offset or thereabouts.

The back axles on 940 aren't very accurately located so you would really need to take the springs off and more the axle about to see if it gets too close anywhere through it's travel.
I might have a look sometime, just to see how wide you could go. 9 or 10 inch would be different !
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve940estate For This Useful Post: