Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

what's my engine?

Views : 704

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2023, 09:21   #1
jackson74

Default what's my engine?

hello...

can someone help please,, I'm a little confused about what the engine model is in my car?

its a 2003 S40 sport 1.8, in my log book it states engine number - B4183197065

variant - VS14
version- VS14K2
(if those 2 offer any more information?)

the reason why I need help is that whenever i search for parts i seem to get two model variants ie- 2002 1.8 or a 2004 1.8 and sometimes it states 1.8i or just standard 1.8

I've tried looking online for engine numbers/models but i can't seem to find the engine numbers like the one i have, i can only seem to find -
B4184S (early version i believe?)
B4184SM ( and this one which ran to 2001 i believe??)

really sorry if i'm being thick lol, i have tried to do my own research online and find the information myself but being totally new to Volvos i can't seem to pinpoint what my engine/model is exactly.

appreciate your help if you reply

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new car3.jpg (232.5 KB, 11 views)
jackson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 17:42   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

There were basically two different 1.8 engines fitted. The one badged as 1.8i is a GDi Mitsubishi engine and has a large engine cover with GDi on it. The other 1.8 is a Volvo engine and always referred to as a 1.8. It will have a black timing belt cover and coil pack cover on top of the engine with VOLVO stamped on it.

The engine number referred to in the registration document is the number of your specific engine, not the type. The type number can be found on a white label stuck on the side of the timing belt cover - on the vertical face - it will have a barcode and the type will be something like B4184S2. The S2 denotes the later type with the VVT sprocket.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 21:23   #3
jackson74

@ITSv40 thanks for the info pal, so mine doesn't have GDi on the cover,,,, its been confusing the hell out of me when looking for spares/parts..

i take it all parts will fit regardless of which version it is?
as i'm kinda doing a mini-resto on mine i didn't want to order loads of parts and they don't fit
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 23:58   #4
magnuz
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson74 View Post
@ITSv40 thanks for the info pal, so mine doesn't have GDi on the cover,,,, its been confusing the hell out of me when looking for spares/parts..

i take it all parts will fit regardless of which version it is?
as i'm kinda doing a mini-resto on mine i didn't want to order loads of parts and they don't fit
The volvo 1.8 engine & mitsubishi GDI 1.8 engines are completely different engines. Engine parts are not interchangeable with each other.

Volvo 1.8 engine is 1783cc. Mitsubishi 1.8 engine is 1834cc. The cylinder capacity is usually stated on the V5 log book. or look it up here https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.u...%3Flocale%3Den
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magnuz For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 09:05   #5
jackson74

mine states 1783cc on the log book so its the volvo engine....

how about suspension parts, are they interchangeable? ie, bushes, bearings, shocks/springs etc etc
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 15:18   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

For shocks, springs and roll bars you need to read the suspension code on the VIN plate - on the bulkhead. The bottom line has a series of numbers stamped, for example: 3AY2AZ. The first three specifies the front strut, front springs and front roll bar, the second three specifies the rear shock absorbers, rear springs and rear roll bar. Volvo will supply parts to the code, aftermarket will be anything that fits. Top front suspension mounts differ between manual and auto - the auto box being heavier and the mounts are stronger. Drive shafts will differ between auto and manual and if manual you could have either the Volvo box - reverse is bottom right, under 5th, or the Renault box where reverse is top right and you lift a ring on the gear lever to engage reverse. Suspension arms are all the same for the Phase 2 models, as are most other things. The Sport designation does not determine what engine / suspension spec you have as it is only a trim level. They came in bog standard, Sport, SE, and Sport Lux. Then there were optional winter packs, family packs, comfort packs etc. Each car was built to the original customers special order.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: