Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbocharger removal?? Idiots guide needed

Views : 9835

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 19:57   #1
alsner
In Volvo limbo

Default Turbocharger removal?? Idiots guide needed

Hi,

What is the easiest/most efficient way of removing the turbo (T3)? I need to get it out so I can either send off for a refurb or replace the entire unit.

If someone can provide me with an idiots guide that would be great.

Ali
I will return to the fold when the time is right.

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
alsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 21:00   #2
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Off the top of my head,

Disconnect Air Inlet and outlet Pipes to turbo. Plug holes in turbo with kitchen towel to stop dropping stuff into compressor housing.

Undo the Water Cooling Hoses to the Turbo.

Jack car up, Undo exhaust downpipe clamp on exhaust end, the exhaust to belhousing bracket, 18mm nut i recall. and then the 3 13mm nuts to turbo, a short stubby spanner is essential here to save cursing. (Also removing oil filter at this stage can aid further turnage of spanners)

With downpipe out the way. Unbolt the oil cooler lines from the oil filter housing throwback, then Remove the Oil Filter.

From above, using a 32mm socket, undo the oil filter housing throwback from the block. There is also a small bracket that supports this to the engine mount. Held by one little bolt.

Remove the oil filter housing throwback unit.

You should now be able to undo the single nut that holds turbo to the lower turbo mount bracket.
Cant remember if at this point you can also gain access to undo the 2 bolts that bolt the lower bracket to the block. If you can remove bracket as well.

Undo the Turbo Oil feed pipe at the block, this is the reason you have to take the oil filter throwback housing off as you cant get the banjo bolt out with it in place.

Go up top and unbolt the turbo oil feed pipe from the top of the turbo, you can now withraw the feed pipe out towards the front of the engine. it does come out with out damaging/bending the pipe. (you'll see in one of the pics how i'm kinda resting it about to install it.)

Undo the Oil drain pipe from Turbo 2 bolts, and remove the pipe, only a push fit into the block.

Now go back up top and undo the 8 13mm exhaust manifold nuts. Lift turbo out and overhaull.

Replacement is reveresal of the above. use all new brass washers, rubber seals and gaskets as required.

Attached is some pics during final assembly of a b230ET i built on a stand, nice and clear pics showing all the major parts you'll be dealing with,
access is slightly annoying when working with engine in car, but still very doable.

Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chesh740R For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 13:27   #3
alsner
In Volvo limbo

Hi, thanks for that Chesh, could you or anyone else give me a full list of replacement parts I'm going to need to buy in order to do this successfully?

Ali

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 14:03   #4
Chesh740R
Turbobricker

Ok when i do a turbo swap on a 700/900 these are the parts i order.

From this diagram http://www.chesh.co.uk/vadis/turboparts.jpg order the following

420641 x1 oil feed gasket
470993 x1 oil Drain Gasket
1306264 x1 oil drain seal ring
1326255 x1 oil feed pipe (not essential but some turbo rebuild companies will insist on new pipe to validate warranty) Can get badly coked up if infrequent oil changes or poor oil used.
1378662 x1 oil drain pipe (not essential as can be easily cleaned out, but can have been damaged by previous mechanics)
947621 x2 Oil Feed Pipe to block washers
968179 x1 Oil Feed Banjo block bolt (not necessary to change unless mating services damaged, damaged bolt will cause oil leaks and as mentioned in removal instructions have to remove the oil filter throwback to change bolt and washers)
947622 x4 Water cooling pipe washers

No diagram pictured for these parts but

271704 x1 Exhaust manifold gasket kit 4 included in pack
953049 x8 Exhaust manifold Studs
948645 x8 Exhaust manifold Nuts

You don't have to change the studs or nuts, but when undoing them you may have some studs snap, or the studs will undo out of block. For the heat stress they go through, new ones installed and tighten once and forget will save you having studs coming undone again in future.

From this diagram http://www.chesh.co.uk/vadis/oilcoolerparts.jpg

3531702 x1 Washer
925093 x1 or x2 Only 1 needed as you don't actually take cooler part off the throwback arm, but why not change it whilst there to prevent oil leaks
3517857 x1 Oil Filter
5 litres of whatever oil the engine is used to.

Oh and a replacement Turbo!!!!! The turbo in my pics was refurbed by Turbo Technics in Northampton.

Any more queries just give us a shout.
Chesh740R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chesh740R For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 14:19   #5
turboboy
Master Member

Smile Parts for turbo change.

Hi, It's a few years since I did this but from memory:

Exhaust gaskets
Oil feed pipe gasket + banjo copper washers
Oil drain pipe gasket + O ring
2 x Locking plated for turbo mounting bolts

Also, 4 x turbo mounting bolts if they have stretched beyond 89mm from under shoulder to tip
Maybe nuts for the exhaust manifold and turbo to down pipe. About half of mine needed replacing.

I think that the following part numbers may be for these gaskets / washers (although there is no detailed description on the invoices I have - perhaps someone has access to part nos. to confirm).

271704-9 Gasket Kit, Qty 1
419401-5 Washer, Qty 1
470993-7 Gasket, Qty 1
947622-7 Gasket, Qty 2
947282-0 Washer, Qty 4
947621-9 Gasket, Qty 2
3514545-7 Gasket, Qty 1
1306264 Seal Ring, Qty 1

Hope they are correct and are of some help.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 14:22   #6
alsner
In Volvo limbo

A huge thank you for that Chesh you have excelled yourself with all the detail there, kinda scary how many parts are there though.

The last bit replacement turbo made me laugh out loud, you obviously know me

Ali

Big thanks to Turboboy also

It's Just a Ride
Bill Hicks
The Following User Says Thank You to alsner For This Useful Post: