Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does Anyone Use VPower Diesel?

Views : 20692

Replies : 117

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2011, 16:40   #31
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
.......Shell V-Power was the best.........
:star-wars-smiley01
Now that is a real pity as I can get BP 2mls away but V Power Diesel is like rocking horse droppings around here. The nearest supplier is 20mls away & I live in Norfolk - not the Outer Hebrides .
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 19:20   #32
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
Now that is a real pity as I can get BP 2mls away but V Power Diesel is like rocking horse droppings around here. The nearest supplier is 20mls away & I live in Norfolk - not the Outer Hebrides .
Well you just ahve to get the best you can and if you had to travel 20 miles to get Shell V then it would negate any savings you would have got anyway, so in your case I'd just stick with BP Ult.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 19:42   #33
harvey07
Master Member

Reading with interest...

Are these reported savings/improvements on long distance stuff only? I am only getting circa 26mpg - mostly around town, quick commute, with the odd 20 - 30 mile round trip (it's all relative as I don't do a huge mileage).

Just wonder if I'd see any benefit. I used to fill with petrol Vpower occasionally in the VRS - thought I saw performance benefits (or was it just my head) & maybe the odd mpg or so.

Interesting to see the comments re 3 consecutive fills before any benefit is seen.

I'll confess I am (currently) a price chaser, with no loyalty...this week it will be Sainsbury's after a big shop last week produced a 10ppl voucher ! It's usually either Tesco (if voucher), Sainsburys (voucher or just for Nectar points), Asda if desperate - cos it is local ! & a major brand as a last resort.
harvey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 20:30   #34
oldmanbm

Well put some in over the summer and put some in by mistake. Seems to do about 30 miles more on the tank but here in NI not available locally.
oldmanbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 22:22   #35
GJB
Premier Member

Try Millers diesel addative I am sure it will give you the same effect
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 00:03   #36
The Hooded Claw
Owner Volvovehiclesclub

Location: Choosing which Volvo to go out in Today !!! lex parsimoniae

Quote:
Now then Chris, funny you should mention that ^^^^ As yous all know my lad works Nationwide fer Brit Gas & drives a 10 Plate Vivaro he AWAYS fills up with V Power Diesel..... Last week he was away down in Colchester & coming home on Friday the Office asked him to call in at a job in Norfolk (YEAH I KNOW Colchester to Fleetwood VIA NORFOLK!!!!! taint exactly a STRAIGHT LINE!!!!)

Anyways he could NOT find any V Power in the vicinity of this ere job in Norfolk so had to fill up with BP Ultimate .... HIS VERDICT on returning home ..... the Van ran like a BAG OF SPANNERS In a Tin tool box ...

Power Down, Fuel Consumption UP, Pick up was "Abysmal" & top Speed dropped to high 60's (his van is Limited to 70 MPH) but if you "Push it" (with V power) you can get 75 to 78 Ish ect ...

HIS CONCLUSION .... BP Ultimate is RUBBISH!!!!!

Keith
1994 960 CD 3.0 Estate ("The Purple Monster")
VOC 25900 lex parsimoniae
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hooded Claw For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 19:30   #37
dew1911
I've Been Banned

Just seen this thread, some interesting results. Thinking of trying V-Power or equivalent in my D5, I didn't see I'd get a big gain in a 115bhp 1.8 Focus, but the 2.4 I reckon could make a go!
dew1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2011, 19:44   #38
craigv60
Master Member

V-Power has a % of gas-to-liquid (GTL) diesel (about 20% if I remember right) which is very clean-burning, produces almost zero soot and has a very high cetane index. V-Power is the only diesel that has a GTL component.

This should mean less soot build-up in the DPF and a reduced need for regenerations.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 05:49   #39
ChrisE
Volvo Owner Since 1990

One of the reasons that a diesel engine always lasted such a long time was that the fuel itself was a lubricant and kept the pump etc in good condition.

I have read that modern diesel is not as good a lubricant as the older stuff. How does these premium diesels compare to the ordinary stuff?
ChrisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 08:34   #40
JimG
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
V-Power has a % of gas-to-liquid (GTL) diesel (about 20% if I remember right) which is very clean-burning, produces almost zero soot and has a very high cetane index. V-Power is the only diesel that has a GTL component.

This should mean less soot build-up in the DPF and a reduced need for regenerations.
Interesting. It's not just psychological then!! I must say the more I use V-Power the better my engine sounds. Less boomy and generally much smoother.

Quote:
One of the reasons that a diesel engine always lasted such a long time was that the fuel itself was a lubricant and kept the pump etc in good condition.

I have read that modern diesel is not as good a lubricant as the older stuff. How does these premium diesels compare to the ordinary stuff?
Good question, does anyone know the answer?

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote