Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 ABS light

Views : 4585

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2014, 10:09   #1
Volvanman
Slewmeister...

Default 940 ABS light

Hello all,

I have a 98 940 LPT. The ABS warning light has remained on for the past few months (ABS still functions correctly), and with MOT looming in November it is time to try to get to the bottom of the problem.

I have researched on here, and have made my own LED code reader. I have the list of codes for ABS faults, and predictably and annoyingly it is giving me the code 1-1-1, indicating no fault recorded.

My tester is configured as follows:

LED +ve terminal to pin 16.
LED -ve terminal to pin 3, with an additional terminal linked to the LED -ve applied to pin 5 for approx. 2 seconds... This generates the 1-1-1 code.

So now I have hit a wall. Can anybody offer any further advice? Obviously a fault must exist for the light to on in the first place, so why is there no fault recorded?

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,

Jerry
Volvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 11:31   #2
Alasdair1
Master Member

Mine did the same. I didn't have a reader at the time and eventually I disconnected the battery overnight (make sure you have the radio code) and on reconnecting it the light went off. I put it down to a blip in the system. It could also be a sensor about to fail or perhaps dirt in the toothed wheel.

Alasdair
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alasdair1 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 21:38   #3
Forrest
VOC Member

I did once have an ABS ecu go faulty. It's the metal box with a red (for your model year) Bosch label on it behind the driver's kick panel. If the fault persists it might be worth swapping this for a known good one. They are generally very reliable which means second hand ones are usually OK.

It may also be worth checking battery and alternator voltage and that the various under-bonnet earth connections are OK. Electrical issues can lead to spurious warning lights too.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2014, 23:32   #4
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Is the speedo working correctly?

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 07:56   #5
Volvanman
Slewmeister...

Thanks for advice so far, it is a very frustrating problem.

I have a spare vehicle that I use for spares, so I will try the ABS ECU from that & see if it clears.

Other than that, no improvements so far.

Des, the speedo works fine & always has done, but an interesting question - is the speedo function somehow related?

Anymore suggestions will be gratefully accepted,

Regards,

Jerry
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 09:57   #6
Alasdair1
Master Member

It may sound like a daft question but what position is the igntition key in when your reading the codes. I think it should be in II. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious. As for the speedo I think it takes a pulse from the ABS sensor in the rear diff. I once as a last resort in one of my old Volvos which had an ABS fault rewired the ABS light to the oil pressure light. Came on with ignition and off once started.

Hope you get it sorted
Alasdair
Alasdair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 10:10   #7
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Yes. The ABS ECU takes a reading from a shared sensor in the diff. The sensor can fail or be faulty so then the speedo will behave erratically or not at all.
Having said that, the speedo can work just fine but the sensor still be faulty!

As Alasdair says you should check the continuity of the cable from the rear sensor. But you do really need to get you codes read to properly identify the area where the fault lies. It may be worth while going to a good Volvo Indie and asking nicely to see if they could read your codes properly.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 17:28   #8
peterl
VOC Member

Jerry Did you ever sort the problem out OK only my 940 2.3lpt has the ABS warning light playing up intermittently Sometime it goes off once the engine starts and other times it stays on.
Cheers
Peter

Current 940 2.3 Auto
peterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 20:07   #9
Volvanman
Slewmeister...

Hello Peter,

I replaced both front sensors which stopped the warning light illuminating for quite a while. I've not re-read this thread, so I might be wrong, but as I recall the warning light was on permanently. Replacing the sensors cured that, but recently the warning light started illuminating intermittently. It would just come on randomly during a journey & stay on, but be off again when you restarted the car later. I know that it is not the right way to deal with it, but I'm afraid I got rather bored with looking at it & have now removed the bulb...

Sorry not to be of much help, but now the thread has been bumped up, perhaps someone else will be better able to help...

97 940 HPT, 25mm H&R spacers, Tethys alloys - 225/45 rear & 215/45 front, slotted discs all round & EBC Yellowstuff pads, MBC @ 14psi, 19t, blue injectors, 3" turbo back single silencer system... 96 960 3.0 Auto
Old Mar 8th, 2016, 20:54   #10
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Usually...

The ABS warning light comes on if the codes from any of the three sensors are missing - or interrupted enough. This can often be the wire from the diff - but then the speedo plays up too. If the front sensors or the wires to them are iffy you should get a code from the blink reader, but you can also measure the resistances using an avometer or whatever they are called these days.

If your codes and resistances are OK the most likely fault is sh1t in the tone rings, so dismantle both front wheel assemblies to get at the tone rings without mullering everything else and jetwash the wossname out of them.

The senders cost the urf so replacing them on spec is DEFINITELY the last resort.
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote