Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does a 14 plate (UK) D4 V70 have a Euro 6 engine?

Views : 2123

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2022, 10:41   #21
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Wow. Completely unfair for those that cannot afford a newer car.
Well, already our XC70 from 2016 is good enough. Don't know if that's "newer" or not. Since petrol cars all the way back to 2006 or so are allowed, you have another option there. They are definitely not "newer".

Quote:
Slowly driving normal people away from having cars.
Well, that may be what it takes. Many can't afford new cars anyway.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 08:19   #22
Tony Rama

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowiama View Post
Going to weigh in with my opinion and the future of motoring.

Driving into city centres. Govts will be wanting cars to be hybrid min? Drive between cities on ICE. Drive last few miles in city - in stop start - on EV power. Maybe some cities should be moving away from allowing private vehicles in?

The most environmental thing.. may be synthetic fuels? Maybe short to medium term? So that conventional ICE engines can continue to be used? Produced by renewalable energy. Be delivered using existing infrastructure. The biggest environmental impact replacing a load of perfectly good vehicles and infrastructure.

EVs. 1st use is getting from A to B. But from what I have been reading - they serve a second purpose that will get more and more important as we switch to more nrenewable energy. As well as how dependent we become on electricity generally. Connected world. Your EV will be used for Energy storage.

Smooth out the demand. Charge up car over night and if it goes nowhere discharge through the day.

Or you drive to work and plug in, work chrages car for free, but they can re-use that energy if needed - power cut / smooth supply - but of course there is a min level which will not drop below so can drive home.

Swappable batteries. Always thought this is the enswer. Drive in, 5 mins later, drive out with swapped battery. The problem is the high cost of batteries and need for precious rare earth metals and materials. When you move to swappable batteries you need a lot more batteries than just the ones in the car - you need a load more spare - ready to be swapped or on charge.

Induction charging is an interesting option. A private car spends vast majority of its time parked. So if parked over an induction charger - without really having to do anything - battery is being charged - maintained.

Solar Panels - think these should be standard fit on all EVs - just to help top up battery when parked and not charging from grid? Or run the auxillary systems - heat / aircon/ lights, etc
Interesting thoughts and scenarios. The global economy is based on oil and ways to sell it, ie to motorists. Without that, what? In order for governments to raise income, (tax) whatever replaces oil will have to be affordable for the masses otherwise no income.

There are two amazing machines for converting grass into motive power. One is the horse and the other the ox. They're good off road as well. 4-leg drive. A friend of ours knows a guy in Wales who just started riding his horse to work because of the fuel prices. I heard that to replace the energy of the ox in India would require 20 nuclear power stations

It's just a case of adjusting one's lifestyle to work within the available parameters.

Example. Instead of spending X time (half an hour or an hour) walking to the next village to work, (as was done 200 years ago), because we have facility to travel by car or train, we can now spend the same time commuting at greater expense. There is no time saving advantage. It just costs more and you travel further. Whatever time you have, you will use it. Same principle as space. Whatever size your desk, or cupboard you will fill it. So the world has adapted to longer distance commutes because we can. It could also adapt back again if the car and train were not available. Track days? Sure. The Romans had them with horses and chariots.

Example 2. I heard the average speed of traffic in London is 12.5mph. This just happens to be the speed of horses and carts used previously. What have we actually gained?

While they can, multinational companies and governments will cream the max out of Joe Blogs for innocently trying to go about his life. If it's not oil and as many forms of motor tax as they can dream up, they will tax us some other way. Whatever there is a demand for, they will eventually tax. I predict that the internet will eventually be taxed big time, since we are all completely dependent on it. OK so there's VAT, but eventually it will be per mbyte. This low emissions thing is a form of taxing air.

Excuse the ramble. Just had a big coffee.

Last edited by Tony Rama; Jul 11th, 2022 at 09:13.
Tony Rama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Rama For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 08:44   #23
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

About 15 years ago the aviation industry said it would move to a “hub and poke” model - I.e. you would fly between principle airports between countries and then get local flights to you destination. This allowed them to size aircraft types and range, run more efficiently as planes would be fuller and operating to designed ranges. And hence the Airbus A380 rolls into service.

The rest is history, or rather somewhat missing from history… nothing really changed as passengers did not like or want that way of flying, and with additional help from COVID the Last A380 was built in 2021 and the only airlines with significant numbers in its fleet are generally those in countries with only one major airport - Abu Dhabi, Dubai, etc.

My point being, we are creature of habit and they’re hard to break…
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2022, 10:01   #24
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross410 View Post
Had an absoltue failure trying to buy a V70 today - car was great but paperwork and V5 weren't in order and I just got a bad vibe.. had to walk away.

Gutted as I had my heart set on it and thought I was going to drive it away.

Back to the drawing board and perhaps focusing on dealers rather than private sellers.

Which brings me to my point - I have been looking at 65 plates onwards due to these being confirmed as Low Emission Zone Compliant in Glasgow next year (which I need), however I think the D4 engine was actually Euro 6 a good year or so prior to 65 plates? Does anyone how far back? Would give me a better budget if I could stretch the age bracket a bit.

Any help would be appreciated - sorry if this information is readily available but I couldn't find it. A reasource would be great.
Be very very cautious here. I won’t comment on weather it is Euro 6 compliant as it’s outside my scope of knowledge, however, if it is that is just the start because there are 8 zones all of which have a date of 2015 for compulsory registration (it is also fact that current modes sold did not actually HAVE to be Euro 6 if they met certain criteria until 2016).

The reason I point this out is because if you purchase a 2014 which is 6 compliant you MAY (I don’t know) find that the online tools simply see it as pre Euro 6 date and not compliant.

Others may well know better but for me I would only purchase something with:

1). Euro 6 compliant engine.
2). Returns a ‘compliant’ result online checkers.

Incidentally I have a far cheaper Euro 5 (2012 xc90) which is lovey and then purchased a 2016 Euro 6 petrol super mini which costs £0 a year to tax, £175 for insurance with no NCD and does 70MPG (brim to brim and calculated) thereby having highly fuel efficient cheap motoring with Euro compliance and a lovey cheap slightly older car.

The fuel saving of driving the Euro box compared to the 90 will pay for my vehicle outright in around 35,000 miles and I will still own the car!!!

Food for thought.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 19:50   #25
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Be very very cautious here. I won’t comment on weather it is Euro 6 compliant as it’s outside my scope of knowledge, however, if it is that is just the start because there are 8 zones all of which have a date of 2015 for compulsory registration (it is also fact that current modes sold did not actually HAVE to be Euro 6 if they met certain criteria until 2016).

The reason I point this out is because if you purchase a 2014 which is 6 compliant you MAY (I don’t know) find that the online tools simply see it as pre Euro 6 date and not compliant.

Incidentally I have a far cheaper Euro 5 (2012 xc90) which is lovey and then purchased a 2016 Euro 6 petrol super mini which costs £0 a year to tax, £175 for insurance with no NCD and does 70MPG (brim to brim and calculated) thereby having highly fuel efficient cheap motoring with Euro compliance and a lovey cheap slightly older car.

The fuel saving of driving the Euro box compared to the 90 will pay for my vehicle outright in around 35,000 miles and I will still own the car!!!

Food for thought.
My 2014 64-reg V70 D4 Geartronic is ULEZ-complaint according to the motorway.co.uk ULEZ checker.

The web page bases its results upon a supplied reg mark. So if you know the reg mark of a used vehicle that you're interested in then plug it into the ULEZ checker and you'll get your answer.

Technically speaking, I believe that all VEA-engined V70s, i.e. all 2-litre 4-cylinder D3s and D4s from 2014 onwards are ULEZ-compliant.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 09:18   #26
apersson850
Premier Member

They should be Euro 6, yes.
The last model year, 2016, the 5-pot diesels got Euro 6 certification too. Our XC70 D4 from 2016 is Euro 6, but the other one, a D5 from 2012, is Euro 5.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 09:23   #27
ross410

Quote:

Food for thought.
Thanks for your reply, the car definitely is a Euro 6 and £30 a year to tax so overall and I'm very happy with the purchase so far!

I haven't heard of these '2015 onwards' zones, that sounds a bit strange when it's meant to be about the engine/emission level? I will look into it.
ross410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 11:40   #28
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, the car definitely is a Euro 6 and £30 a year to tax so overall and I'm very happy with the purchase so far!

I haven't heard of these '2015 onwards' zones, that sounds a bit strange when it's meant to be about the engine/emission level? I will look into it.
If you enter the registration number into totalcarcheck.co.uk it will tell you the Euro spec of the car without you having to pay for the full check.

I believe Euro 6 was mandatory for all vehicles submitted for type approval from 1/9/2014 and then mandatory of most vehicles manufactured after 1/9/2015 but it's not unusual for new cars to be 6-9 months old before they are registered so always best to check... hence there could be a circa 2 year period when a model could be either...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 14:45   #29
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:

I think that may be because I didn’t explain very well. The regulations which mandated Euro 6 came into effect in 15. I therefore get concerned that if you have a 2014 you may find a situation where that model is Euro 6 however is not recorded formally to the 2015 year.

Of course I have little knowledge of LEZ so I could be barking up the wrong tree however for me I would be looking to have both confirmation via the websites and also the engine specification…
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 15:05   #30
ross410

Quote:
I think that may be because I didn’t explain very well. The regulations which mandated Euro 6 came into effect in 15. I therefore get concerned that if you have a 2014 you may find a situation where that model is Euro 6 however is not recorded formally to the 2015 year.

Of course I have little knowledge of LEZ so I could be barking up the wrong tree however for me I would be looking to have both confirmation via the websites and also the engine specification…
Argh I'm getting concerned now, the HPI checker website says my car is a Euro 6, and multiple sites state that D4 Volvo's registered from Sep 14 are Euro 6's, but some other checker websites are saying it is a Euro 5B?

The TFL website states I would only have to pay Congestion charge rather than ULEZ. Glasgow website doesn't even have a checker yet..

Anyone smarter than me able to confirm? Reg is NK64 MWV.

If it's not, it isn't the end of the world but I would certainly like it to be Euro 6.
ross410 is offline   Reply With Quote