Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake DIscs and pads

Views : 1410

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 18:48   #1
Abeat1

Hi folks

Is there anything "unusual" I should watch for when changing the front brake discs and pads on my S70 (1998 2.5T) Have seen the parts on Eurocarparts, has anyone used discs / pads from there in the past?, Not sure which make to go for..Any advice greatly appreciated.

Andy
Old Jul 11th, 2002, 19:07   #2
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Default RE: Brake DIscs and pads

I bought the same a year or two back. They were careful to make sure I got the right set. Fitted easily (just watch for the brake pipes when 'dangling' the caliper).
Old Jul 11th, 2002, 19:29   #3
moswin

Good bit of advice is also before changing the pads is to clamp off the flexes before you start pushing back on the original pads to ease the removal....This apparently stops the "back pressure" stuffing up the abs......release the pressure through the bleed nipples instead, then carry on as usual and change in the normal way. but of course you might have to bleed on completion
Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:59   #4
a15htn

One point to watch is that I don't think Europarts supply the shims.

On the 850 there are some rubber backed shims to reduce squeal.... I didn't bother :( and you can here my brakes coming from almost half a mile :(

I think you may have to get them from Volvo though

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Jul 12th, 2002, 20:26   #5
ALANT5RBEAL
mature member

Default RE: Brake DIscs and pads

Hi
My technician thats what they call them now says do not use clamps on the hose,s because it causes stress on them and mucks them up
cheers Alan
ALANT5RBEAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2002, 21:58   #6
jaytee
Jim

Default RE: Brake Discs and pads

After enduring over a year of rear brake squeal, following the fitting of new discs and non Volvo pads, I have just replaced the pads with Volvo originals, complete with 'built-in rubber/metal anti squeal shims. Braking is now totaly silent!! I wont use non Volvo pads again.

Jim

jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2002, 22:37   #7
Abeat1

Hi

Thanks for the advice, I purchased Lockheed pads and disks from Autosave Components in Aberdeen for £80 all in(Not bad I thought)
Fitted this morning without hitch, however the pedal feels a little softer than before although this has improved with the milage I have covered today.I presume that will come good as the pads get run in, apart from that the job was no prob and I dont even get a squeal.

Andrew