Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

key will not turn in ignition lock

Views : 1430

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 04:01   #1
camane

Default key will not turn in ignition lock

I have a 1998 S70 GL Turbo and no record of any problems until yesterday when I was left cool in the road with my wife and daughter because the key will not turn in the ignition. I first checked if the transmission was in parking, which was, then I kept turning the steering wheel left and right and it was ok as well. I could not even make the radio work. The only solution was to have the car towed and the mechanics did not look into it yet. The service
manager talked about an ignition cylinder? that needs to be ordered and costs a lot of money...Does anyone in this forum had similar experience that can explain me what the problem could be?

Much appreciated.
carlos pires
cpires@attbi.com
Old Jul 12th, 2002, 09:05   #2
chrisjeans

Default RE: key will not turn in ignition lock

I had a not dissimilar problem about 18 months ago, the difference being that my key kept turning in the ignition lock. I had the car recovered to my local dealer, where needless to say they couldn’t replicate the problem! Eventually it was discovered the ignition barrel was shot. The new barrel had to come from Sweden and then involved having the barrel cut to my key. All in all the car was off the road for 2 weeks. As the car was only just out of the 3-year guarantee (and various other bits had fallen off) I managed to get some of the money back from Volvo as a goodwill payment and a loan car after a week. I think it cost me around £200, made me wish I had extended the guarantee out to 5 yrs when I bought the car.

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 20:56   #3
Paul Wildsmith
Register Keeper

Default RE: key will not turn in ignition lock

I've also had similar problems with the switch/lock on my S70. The key just turning will occur if the steering lock is engaged - and helps prevent a thief trying to break the lock by turning the wheel. Just turn the wheel slightly then turn the key. My other problem was that the key wouldn't always turn enough to engage the starter position. I've fitted up an extra push switch just for the starter, and ofcourse the key switch now works OK. The electrical bit of the assembly is removed easily enough, but despite looking for the the latch to push in (per Haynes instructions) I've failed to find how the key part comes off the column - though I understand that some cars have it as a complete steering column assembly, and likely to be very expensive.