Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car Modem Internet Issues

Views : 3657

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2023, 12:39   #1
Franko1960

Default Car Modem Internet Issues

Got my new vodafone sim after my last service in October. All working great until last week. Now the globe does not appear all the time. Some time it does, and sometimes it does not.

When i connect the modem to my phone it goes great, and when i disconnect the phone, the globe stays on when i select modem again for a day or so, then it goes off again until i reconnect the phone again.

Possible solutions anyone?
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 16:49   #2
Basill

Now you mention it i have noticed recently my Voda SIM is very slow to connect when I leave home. According to Vodafone's service checker they are doing maintenance in the area, my Voda mobile is working but data is very slow indeed. https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/status-checker

Last edited by Basill; Dec 6th, 2023 at 17:13.
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Basill For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 21:31   #3
OldEngineer

Snap
I was just about to start my own thread on the Vodafone Sim.

It's terrible. The maps started updating on Thursday 30th November but only concluded yesterday 5th December. Each time I got in the car it displayed a message "Service not Connected". Turning off the car and locking it didn't solve it. Eventually I found that I had to disconnect the Sim and reconnect to boot Vodafone into life.
Settings/Communication/Car Modem Internet and untick the box.
Then re-tick and wait about 60 seconds for it to find Vodafone. Then watch the slow % marker increase.

I'm suspecting that Vodafone are applying some restriction.

It was so much easier using 3. It just worked without intervention.
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 11:38   #4
Franko1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
Snap
I was just about to start my own thread on the Vodafone Sim.

It's terrible. The maps started updating on Thursday 30th November but only concluded yesterday 5th December. Each time I got in the car it displayed a message "Service not Connected". Turning off the car and locking it didn't solve it. Eventually I found that I had to disconnect the Sim and reconnect to boot Vodafone into life.
Settings/Communication/Car Modem Internet and untick the box.
Then re-tick and wait about 60 seconds for it to find Vodafone. Then watch the slow % marker increase.

I'm suspecting that Vodafone are applying some restriction.

It was so much easier using 3. It just worked without intervention.
Do you mean disconnect the sim from the modem holder, and re-insert or disconnect from the menu?
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 20:04   #5
OldEngineer

Disconnect in the Menu.

Today it's even worse. Vodafone must be trying to constrain the service. I drove out from my house and went about 1 mile before sliding onto the back of a jam not shown on the map. When I looked at the home screen I saw again the message "No connection to service"

To get it back you have to select Settings then Communication
Then select Car Modem Internet.
On the next screen untick the top box "Car modem internet"
After a few seconds retick this box. Today it took over 2 minutes to reconnect. Then all the road information came back.
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 14:51   #6
Snoopyuk

For what it is worth. I've notice the same with a Vodafone SIM. Start the car up. Notice no internet connection. Untick and tick the Car Modem option in settings. Wait a minute or two and connection is back. Happens in different locations so unlikely it is tied to work on a particular cell tower.

I wonder if it's related to Vodafone turning off 3G. I'm certain my MY19 V90CC is 4G capable. Or is this a more general issue with Volvo's servers. If I remember next time I am in the car I will check by connecting the car to my phone hot spot. See what does or does not happen.

Just thinking back a week or so all the apps got updated. Was there a sneaky update to Infotainment / Internet side of things bundled in that lot.
Snoopyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 18:32   #7
Basill

Update: Voda sent out a text saying their maintenance is complete on the local mast, connection is noticeably faster and up as I leave home. Definitely better around this area.
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 13:18   #8
OldEngineer

Mine is still terrible.

At the start of the week I got into the car and the sim had connected. Just this once and now back to the problem.

I'm now leaving the 4th area of the Home Screen showing software updates. This confirms the failed sim with a message "Unable to Connect to Service". Then I manually kill the Car Modem Internet then start it again.

Most of the time it works but occasionally I have to do this more than once.
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 07:38   #9
RussJ759

I have the same problem. The car is taking forever to connect to Spotify and the Globe isn't showing. Seems to have got a lot worse over the past month or so. Can usually get it to start by unticking and re-ticking the internet box in settings. Not sure if its mobile service or car related...
RussJ759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 08:18   #10
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussJ759 View Post
I have the same problem. The car is taking forever to connect to Spotify and the Globe isn't showing. Seems to have got a lot worse over the past month or so. Can usually get it to start by unticking and re-ticking the internet box in settings. Not sure if its mobile service or car related...
I have been having similar problems over the past week or so.

As a number of us are having similar problems it's likely to be a Vodafone problem rather than car-related.