Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New car

Views : 2135

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2015, 14:42   #1
shinglehopper

Default New car

I saw a recent post where somebody was replacing their XC60 with a VW Touareg.
Having looked at the Touareg I too have gone down this path after owning two XC60s. VW have discounted the Touareg down to XC60 price levels and there is no comparison in quality and performance.
After driving the Touareg the XC60 felt very dated although it is only three years old.
shinglehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2015, 17:35   #2
sunshinetours

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinglehopper View Post
I saw a recent post where somebody was replacing their XC60 with a VW Touareg.
Having looked at the Touareg I too have gone down this path after owning two XC60s. VW have discounted the Touareg down to XC60 price levels and there is no comparison in quality and performance.
After driving the Touareg the XC60 felt very dated although it is only three years old.
Good luck with your new car, I also looked at the Touareg and its a lot of car for the money at discounted prices. not sure the discounted VW prices are quite as good as the discounted Volvo prices though?

I didn't go for the VW mainly because its simply too big for me for everyday use, its more akin to the XC90 in size even though it doesn't offer 7 seat option like the Volvo

As for quality,w ell they are pretty different cars with the VW being VERY Teutonic and even boring IMO inside, and the Volvo being a little different and even quirky in places

The engine is the big difference in the two IMO with the 3.0 unit in the VW being an absolute peach much more akin to the previous 6 cyl BMW engines I have had

MyTreg is a useful site to belong to for tips and common issues and problems highlighted. Also find a good dealer as many can't deal with the Touareg
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 01:44   #3
Brodick
Master Member

Afraid I do not rate the toerag at all. Certainly would not say the xc60 feels dated
Toerag:
Styling to plain
Not that fun to drive
Fuel economy
Overall quality
Still to expensive

Having said that I like it 4wd

Each to their own though so best of luck with your new car.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brodick For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 02:54   #4
oragex
Premier Member

The Touareg is quite larger than the XC60... more like the XC90. It seems more luxurious, but I think it's more in appearance. I feel Volvo has a more refined comfort and driving feeling. And in the long term, I'm quite positive Volvo will be more reliable, although possibly more expensive to repair.

I just feel the Touareg is more of a hype, much like the Cayenne. Better go with an X3 although this one it might not be the most reliable of the lot
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 16:03   #5
brickman
Premier Member

Was about to say, Toureg is aligned more with the XC90, the XC60 is more of a jacked up V60 (sort of), so much more basic internally/bland for the money.

Higher end cars with a 30% discount obviously gets you more for your money than a lower end car with upto 30% off.

The older Toureg's were plagued with knocking suspension and clunks though, I'm sure those issues are sorted now though
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 22:13   #6
owyn
Premier Member

I drove a brand spanker as a hire car in Germany about 2 years ago, it was the current model with the 3 litre engine and 8 speed box.

It was absolutely lovely! I'd have bought one as soon as I got home if I could. It was quiet, comfortable, had a premium feel , decent fuel economy and perfectly composed at a ton on the autobahn.

I'm thinking about a new car next year and was going to go Beemer but may go and look at these if the price is coming down.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:10   #7
rich1068
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodick View Post
Afraid I do not rate the toerag at all. Certainly would not say the xc60 feels dated
Toerag:
Styling to plain
Not that fun to drive
Fuel economy
Overall quality
Still to expensive

Having said that I like it 4wd

Each to their own though so best of luck with your new car.
As you say, each to there own and clearly you're a Volvo man through and through but I think most would disagree with your assessment of the Touareg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owyn View Post
I drove a brand spanker as a hire car in Germany about 2 years ago, it was the current model with the 3 litre engine and 8 speed box.

It was absolutely lovely! I'd have bought one as soon as I got home if I could. It was quiet, comfortable, had a premium feel , decent fuel economy and perfectly composed at a ton on the autobahn.

I'm thinking about a new car next year and was going to go Beemer but may go and look at these if the price is coming down.
I drove the Touareg a fair bit prior to choosing my XC90. It was indeed lovely and out of all the SUV type vehicles I tested it was most similar to the F30 330d I was replacing. I felt tight, was well spec'd, handled well and certainly powerful enough. I was buying through my business on contract hire and at the time (6 months ago) all the deals were on the R-Line (?) model, sub £400 per month on 2,3 and 4 year terms. It appears the deals I saw were due to the model being due a refresh. These deals are now to get people into the new ones! VW still seems to suffer from that Phaeton effect.

In the end the Touareg failed the three child seat test and that was that. Plus SWMBO liked the XC90 so discussion over.
rich1068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 06:24   #8
Volvopete81

Have a 2001 Volvo v70 t5 wagon non turbo the check engine light is on but no codes also a orange triangle
Volvopete81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 20:36   #9
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
In the end the Touareg failed the three child seat test and that was that. Plus SWMBO liked the XC90 so discussion over.
I use that as a benchmark too

TT
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 20:48   #10
The Thong
VOC Member

My biggest issue with VW is the cost of the spares. It’s ok while the motors are in warranty but once their not it gets expensive and the dealers fleece you at every turn. I used to run VW LT’s and the cost of the spares were astronomical so I went to running Ford and Freight Rover.
I’ve had three Passat company motors and I loved em but I didn’t have to pay to fix em either.

TT