Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Am I being a moaning c%$&

Views : 1321

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2018, 09:21   #1
AJRFulton

Default Am I being a moaning c%$&

My car, a 6mth old XC60, was recently in at the dealership for a small warranty repair to some trim, and whilst in, I got their paint shop to repair a scratch, so the car was in for a couple of days.

Now I have bought new, or nearly new, cars from BMW, Audi, Toyota, Nissan and Ford over my driving life, and I cannot think of a single instance when the car has been in for more than a few hours and not been returned to me washed and valeted. After a warranty repair on my BMW the car was even returned having been detailed, just as a little thing to say sorry for an issue arising.

The scratch was on the boot, and only the boot had been washed, and no hoover had touched my interior. I wasn't expecting the full works, but a quick pressure wash and a clean inside, surely?

Do Volvo have form on this?
AJRFulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 10:01   #2
4x4
Premier Member

When I've had warranty work done on a vehicle I specifically tell them not to wash the car as I don't want some spanner monkey scratching my paintwork
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 10:56   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4 View Post
When I've had warranty work done on a vehicle I specifically tell them not to wash the car as I don't want some spanner monkey scratching my paintwork
spanner monkeys don't get paid for washing cars they have much more important issues to deal with ...
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 11:40   #4
Spike56
Master Member

Take it in for the £25 winter check. Free scraper and ice spray....Clean and vacuum.
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 11:54   #5
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRFulton View Post
My car, a 6mth old XC60, was recently in at the dealership for a small warranty repair to some trim, and whilst in, I got their paint shop to repair a scratch, so the car was in for a couple of days.

Now I have bought new, or nearly new, cars from BMW, Audi, Toyota, Nissan and Ford over my driving life, and I cannot think of a single instance when the car has been in for more than a few hours and not been returned to me washed and valeted. After a warranty repair on my BMW the car was even returned having been detailed, just as a little thing to say sorry for an issue arising.

The scratch was on the boot, and only the boot had been washed, and no hoover had touched my interior. I wasn't expecting the full works, but a quick pressure wash and a clean inside, surely?

It’s a nice touch but no, I don’t think it should be expected.

I would see a wash as a bonus and not a right....
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 12:29   #6
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

I do this job at a main dealer, sometimes we don't have the time to clean all the cars that come in, infact most of the cars that we have to clean are utter sh1ttips and the owners should be ashamed to leave their cars in that state, talking premium germanic brand motors where indicators are an optional extra according to most people. So next time the dealer does not clean your pride and joy don't moan or bitch about it just spare a thought for the guys like me who may be cleaning up to 60/70 cars a day that can make landfill tips look tidy.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Darlo 1 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 16:14   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

I would never expect a garage or franchised dealer to valet my car. In fact I am the exact opposite and always clean and valet my cars before they go to a garage - which thankfully is not very often. 'er indoors Mini Cooper is going in tomorrow for some warranty work on the air con. It has been washed and valeted today and all the windows cleaned. I work on the principle that if the garage know I look after my cars there is a chance they will too. If it turns up looking like a tip, why would they bother to care for it.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 17:04   #8
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

As a valeter I would specifically tell a dealer not to valet my car. Having had a former job as a main dealer valeter, I know for a fact that it is done incorrectly, and your paintwork will be safer by not having it done.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KerPLoD For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 20:11   #9
Waynedance

I would not want the garage cleaning my car either.

Always clean my own car and it would be cleaned before taking it to a garage for work.

Answer to your question, yes you are being a moaning c%$&
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 20:26   #10
Black dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRFulton View Post

If you hired a painter to paint your sitting room would you expect him to vaccuum your whole house and clean your windows?
In an answer yes stop crying.