Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are cars 'safe as houses', or a false sense of security?

Views : 1621

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2018, 21:33   #21
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post

I used to drive motorbikes before passing my car test, just as the law regarding crash helmets came into force, i thought at the time this was a kind of bullying action by the state but now look upon myself as being stupid in the extreme at the time.
With regard to bikers these days, i have very little respect, whats with all this red line gear changes etc and using the road as their own private racetrack.

Sorry to any bikers on here who don't drive this way, but sadly you are not the norm anymore.
I’m guessing you are referring to ‘power rangers’ that are out on a Sunday afternoon. I’m a keen biker (prefer em to cars), but avoid riding when these idiots are out if at all possible.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 09:50   #22
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
I’m guessing you are referring to ‘power rangers’ that are out on a Sunday afternoon. I’m a keen biker (prefer em to cars), but avoid riding when these idiots are out if at all possible.
Without taking the original subject off to a tangent, the way some bikers ride you’d think they had a death wish but saying that I’ve some car drivers doing exactly the same too.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 10:07   #23
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I've been pondering on this for a couple of days since on Friday as I came home from work about midday and saw a biker twice pull a wheelie coming towards me on a reasonably busy road. Given that bikers always seem to go on about how vulnerable they are his behaviour would seem to contradict the idea that vulnerability reduces risky behaviour. I accept that one stupid biker is not a very good sample of bikers as a whole and the vast majority are trying to survive, so it might seem safety levels have little to do with behaviour and some people are just stupid.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 11:04   #24
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
I've been pondering on this for a couple of days since on Friday as I came home from work about midday and saw a biker twice pull a wheelie coming towards me on a reasonably busy road. Given that bikers always seem to go on about how vulnerable they are his behaviour would seem to contradict the idea that vulnerability reduces risky behaviour. I accept that one stupid biker is not a very good sample of bikers as a whole and the vast majority are trying to survive, so it might seem safety levels have little to do with behaviour and some people are just stupid.
It’s Ego’s at work, car drivers with a sense of entitlement, thrill seeking bike riders etc etc.
I’m glad cars are built like they are these days with airbags, impact bars in the doors and so on. Image being in a smash in a 2CV or the original Mini that we’re little tin boxes with a seatbelt that was pretty much all the safety equipment the vehicle had.
I had a top of the V60 for a Courtesy car last week and the Active Speed Limiter was an eye opener. It was a little unsettling when the car started braking on its own and the car was braking a little early in places especially where there was speed change warning signs but other than that a bit of fine tuning an it’d be a great accessory. I appreciate that some people hate the thought of not having control over your cars speed but if it’s gunna save lives then it gets my vote. Boss Thong has already put that on our next car wish list.
Given the volume of cars on the road today I think greater emphasis should be put on devices like this even if the fast car fighter pilots hate the idea.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 18:19   #25
Grimble
Grimble

I'm probably going against the grain here (as usual) but I do firmly believe in Darwinism.
Do we really want (for the long term benefit of the human race) for the less intelligent to reproduce?
Is it better to design a heat resistant glove (aka automatic car safety systems as discussed in this thread) or not put your hand in the fire in the first place?
If you want to travel then take full responsibility for your actions or get the train.
The man with the spike idea was right.
Old Nov 11th, 2018, 19:17   #26
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
I'm probably going against the grain here (as usual) but I do firmly believe in Darwinism.
Do we really want (for the long term benefit of the human race) for the less intelligent to reproduce?
Is it better to design a heat resistant glove (aka automatic car safety systems as discussed in this thread) or not put your hand in the fire in the first place?
If you want to travel then take full responsibility for your actions or get the train.
The man with the spike idea was right.
Agreed but with or without those aids on the cars they’ll still drive like lunatics so it makes sense to make those around them safer and maybe clip their wings wherever you can.
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 00:56   #27
canis
Non Fragile

Actually, bikers are doing exactly that. They're taking full responsibility for their own safety, entrusting their survival to their skills instead of paying scant attention and relying on a bunch of airbags and seat belt pre-tensioners, automatic braking, collision avoidance systems - hell, pretty soon you won't even need to drive at all! Wait a minute... forget I said that.

Idiot bikers exist. But the percentage of idiot car drivers is way higher.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2018, 02:44   #28
andy_d
Premier Member

as long as the morons driving OR riding like a moron only kill themselves its all good

far to many cockwombles use the "its safer" bs to nanny the clownshoes driving or riding like morons all that does is leave those with a sense of personal responsibility and accountability as the minority

auto speed limiting, ffs, if you cant See a sign and adjust the cars speed by yourself, WTF are you doing driving,,

yet again the "~oh noes" come out with bs "think of the safety" clapbollox ,

no think of People ,
Get the drivers without a licence off the road ~For life~
get the drunk and drug drivers off the road ~for Life~
get those without insurance or a mot off the road for life

and Redo the driving education to where people are Taught to Drive the car,, not taught how to pass the test
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 21:06   #29
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
auto speed limiting, ffs, if you cant See a sign and adjust the cars speed by yourself, WTF are you doing driving,,
So I suppose YOU never break the speed limit?
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 12:47   #30
AndyJudge
Premier Member

OK I Agree the complete who thought that DRL's are only useful on the front needs shooting.

Another of my pet hates is those people who rely on the safety systems on the car whilst gazing longingly into the satnav screen they've stuck right in their line of vision & ignoring that fact they're sat in the middle lane at 60Mph (I see it a lot) even worse when they have the Satnav on daytime mode when travelling up unlit motorways.

Bit of TIC here - whoever gave permission to BMW & Audi to make indicators optional extras.

Cars have become far safer over the years but I do think at the expense of common sense for so many people.

I kid you not I saw somebody reverse into a wall the other day in a Car, they were clearly looking at the screen on the dash for the reversing camera which either didn't come on or the car didn't even have one. Some people really shouldn't be let loose on the roads.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post: