Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ACZP - Anti corrosive zinc paste

Views : 1619

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 4th, 2017, 16:25   #11
Triple-S
How Old?

Hi Derek

As said on Sunday, aircraft G-ACZP was the last remaining DH86B Express 4-engined biplane. For those familiar with the DH89 Rapide, this was a four-motor lookalike, but larger. However, it crash-landed at Madrid in September 1958 and the remains were stored there for an attempted re-build, but were unceremoniously burnt in the '70s.
Viv Bellamy, the original owner, was searching for bits to rebuild but unfortunately died before he could get going. Rumours abound that others are hoping to continue with at least creating a static museum-piece.
There - now you know what sort of geek I really am! Over forty years in the business of aviation-numerology (posh or what!) and that's what you get!

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 21:46   #12
jpws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
All posted except Graham's, which will posted later as arranged.
I was optimistic about the postage as it was £2.90 rather than £1.50. Worry not I will eat the difference. George, I will mail you, but you will get a similar reduction too.
Arrived today, very many thanks! Much appreciated. No more dodgy electrical connections soon.
jpws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2017, 22:09   #13
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

jp;

...just remember that it is highly preferable for connections to be clean first...so please don't apply it over existing possibly iffy connectors/connections before assuring these are clean and shiny...but given clean connections when you apply the ACZP, they will stay that way, and you will truly have "No more dodgy electrical connections" today, and for years (at least)!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 12:39   #14
arcturus
arcturus

So how do you clean inside female spade connectors or headlamp connector blocks?
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 14:31   #15
jpws

Fiberglass scratch brushes, as used by watchmakers, are pretty good at that. They are about £2 each.
jpws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 15:09   #16
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

For ring terminals, separate, clean to shiny surfaces is the rule before applying, but since accessibility is not there with the female spade terminals, this is a good question, and can use some explanation.

For those terminals, simply pull off the female terminal (or separate the multi spade connector, such as the Headlight Hexconn, see: http://www.sw-em.com/voltage_drop_in..._connector.htm ), and clean the male spades with a small wire brush or if accessibility is good, emery cloth.

When nice and clean and shiny, apply the ACZP to the male term (a film over the entire surface of either side, at an approximate thickness of the terminal itself), and also a bit into the holes of the female term, and remate the two (the grease component will even lube this process!)...the paste will surround and encapsulate the actual current carrying areas as the female term cuts into the surface of the male terminal, making a good high current connection (Condition A), and the paste will be displaced, to protect and stabilize (Conditions B & C), for as long as it remains!

Explanation of conditions at: http://www.sw-em.com/anti_corrosive_paste.htm

Remember also to inspect crimped areas of connectors. If these exhibit lots of oxidation (visual inspection), or voltage drops when measuring voltage across the connection while drawing current through them (power-up or live inspection), it might be time to replace crimp. Strip wire, dip stripped wire into ACZP, and crimp properly using an appropriate tool. Conditions A-C will assure a good long-term connection here also.

Bottom Line: ACZP makes essentially a Gas-Tight-Joint for a non-soldered joint, and that's a good operating condition! See also: http://www.sw-em.com/emergflash.htm#...ne_connections

Cheers!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 20:29   #17
grahamwatson

Thanks Derek, safely received. And for those of you thinking that Inverness must really be a really long way away I had asked Derek to delay sending as I was away on holiday.

Will probably decant the ACZP into one of my favourite grease dispensers as below - but not until after I have finished the honey. The finest bit of engineering inspired by part of a dog's anatomy that I can think of.

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, that didn't work. As you might have guessed it was a picture of a runny honey pot. In this case filled with Coppaslip. Just like a dog's bottom.

Last edited by grahamwatson; Jul 18th, 2017 at 20:35.
grahamwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to grahamwatson For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 21:12   #18
Derek UK
VOC Member

Graham, see here re Photobucket. A PITA for me and many others. All of the pics I have posted here and to other forums are now "clocked out".

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=269714
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: