Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Modded front grill

Views : 895

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 4th, 2008, 19:07   #1
stevo48
Premier Member

Default Modded front grill

Following Modmans grill modification I thought today I will do mine, so I removed the grill from the car and sprayed it with auto light tinting spray, the effect I wanted was black chrome and i think i have pretty much achieved that.
When removing the grill a couple of the fixing points broke at the rear of the grill, a trip to B&Q for some new fixing bolts and some liquid metal to repair the fittings and also some double sided trim fitting strip should ensure a secure fit.
Will be putting it back on the car tomorrow, weather permitting.
100_7202.JPG[ATTACH]100_7206.JPG[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_7205.JPG (186.0 KB, 34 views)
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 08:49   #2
stevo48
Premier Member

Job done, doesn't look too bad
100_7207.JPG
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 10:46   #3
meta_volante

Thumbs up

Good job Stevo gives the car a subtle modded look, and looks loads better than the grill did on my '99 S40

'03 S40 1.9D Sport
meta_volante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 11:41   #4
modman

i like it, must admit when i was doing mine i started off by using light coats and you could still see the chrome through the black and i thought that looks cool but decided to carry on. yours looks really smart and better using tinting spray.
modman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 11:43   #5
modman

im hoping to seperate the head light surrounds and tint part of the headlight but then im gonna struggl with the indicators but im sure i can work round that.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 19:40   #6
stevo48
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modman View Post
im hoping to seperate the head light surrounds and tint part of the headlight but then im gonna struggl with the indicators but im sure i can work round that.
Thanks for the comments guys, I must admit I am quite pleased with the new look.
Modman, if by struggling with the indicators you mean removing them it is quite a simple job, between the h/lamp and indicator you will see one philips screw, remove that then with a screwdriver press the clip holding the indicator it will then slide out, if you are planning on splitting the indicators i think you will find they are a sealed unit, might be easier to buy smoked indicators.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 21:52   #7
Baffler
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modman View Post
This just sold on eBay for a tenner http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=008

I paid €54 per corner from the dealer but they are brand new

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 21:11   #8
modman

they would of been spot on, its just the tinting of the indicators that im gonna have trouble and if their sealed ive got to blend the tint in on the lense, i may try later this week.

Tags
grill modification