Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone want a Rear Disc Brake Conversion? P1800/Amazon

Views : 9559

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 15th, 2011, 00:54   #1
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Default Anyone want a Rear Disc Brake Conversion? P1800/Amazon

This kit will use GM brake Calipers and Rotors with a built on Emergency brake feature. It will be a bolt on kit, with the Rotors, brakets, bolts, and New Style Axle Seal and Cap will be provided. You will use your original Rear Hub, but you will have to seperate the Drum from the hub.. My Rotor will attach to the original hub from there, and the axle housing braket with take care of the calipers and seals.

I am builing this setup for my P1800 (Project Changling) and my 67 Amazon, so it would be a good time to see if anyone is interested so I can see if I can get some sort of production run on them like I did the front suspension. I am not sure if it will be a solid run, but like the Front Suspension, all the parts will be available over the counter for maintenance work...

I know the Rear Drums are very expensive when they are needed, and it is looking like the complete kit would be somewhere about 500 dollars. If anyone would be interested, I can see if my Machine Shop can pop some additional units out. Just like the Front suspension kit, I would like to know who would like a kit, if they were to be available, so I can take care of them all at once...

Classic Auto Glass Innovations
Flush Mount Glass
Classicautoglassinnovations.com
Iamtheonlyreal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:03   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Sounds like a good idea. Much better than fitting the E axle. I have thought about doing something along those lines but not gone anywhere with it.

For UK customers I think by the time shipping and duty are added it will be an expensive kit. On the other hand if all the intersted UK customers had the parts (front crossmember also) on a pallet together that sould help keep the pricing down.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:05   #3
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I'd be interested as I'd like disc brakes on the rear but without going to the hassle of changing the axle.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:08   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Shipping would be in the range of $100 to $150 I think from previous stuff I've got from the US. Good website for sending parcels and instant quotes: http://www.interparcel.com

Last edited by Burdekin; May 15th, 2011 at 09:10.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:13   #5
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

I'm interested. How's the front end kit going too?
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:50   #6
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Gordon, any chance of you and Robert getting together and you becoming the UK distributor or something along those lines? Just an idea.
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:11   #7
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Good idea Mitch, I was actually just thinking....

I'll PM him in due course.

Gordon
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 16:17   #8
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hunter View Post
I'm interested. How's the front end kit going too?
I will have additional pictures and video of the actual Production Crossmember and suspension in about 2 weeks... After that, they will be on sale, and I will be taking orders for the first run.

If any of you can contact some of your area retailers over there, I will have a dealer program on these products, and bulk buys definitly curve alot of the shipping cost. I already have a couple of interested Volvo parts suppliers here, that are purchasing a few crossmember/suspenison kits to keep on hand, so perhaps there would be some over there.

Thanks

Flush Mount Glass
Old May 18th, 2011, 20:58   #9
940_Turbo

I don't see the logic behind this conversion. The rear drums work more than adequately from a braking point of view. Yes the drums are expensive, but they don't exactly wear out very often. And you can buy a bare drum for 60 Euros or so.

There is however one very good reason for getting rid of the rear drums; it gets rid of the morse taper half shaft and thereby eliminates the risk of breaking a half shaft. Your conversion retains the existing half shaft and hub. And that makes it pointless.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2011, 00:39   #10
Iamtheonlyreal1
Trader

That is the reason for this thread.. I am wanting feedback from real world owners.. As a direct replacement to the standard P1800/Amazon, there is really no issue for replacement. If you are doing a resto Mod, Race, or Pro-Touring style car, then you would be changing the rear end with a stronger one anyhow.

I am looking into this as a cost effective and easy maintenance alternative to the Rear Drums.. The rear disc looks much better than the drum, when it comes to certain wheels, so I figured there would be some interested people for those reasons.. As far as trying to claim that this conversion would give your car race capability with this kit, I am not claiming that at all..

Flush Mount Glass