Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No record of my car on DVLA computer

Views : 5928

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 14:21   #21
ANDREWNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonn View Post
Could some kind soul let me know if the club or this forum has an expert that can give the relevant confirmation/information to pass on to DVLA?Also anyone with the web address of the Swedish archive department?I did have a google for it but didnt come up with anything concrete.Anything would be appreciated.
Mick
Hi

The person to contact at Volvo in Sweden is now

fredrik.ljungqvist@volvo.com

Good Luck with the DVLA, they sent me some great info but when I followed it up due to poor quality photocopy they never got back to me on both occasions and this week I think they might be a bit busy based on latest news reports!
ANDREWNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 14:38   #22
cassell
Member since 1988

Wink Full VIN location

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonn View Post
Ok heres the Vin:

1834352 and what looks like a "Y"?
115-1
459-887
That's not actually the VIN, it's the type/model plate on the top of the pedal box which simply gives model code, colour, upholstery and 'S' special equipment fitted (if any). To confuse everyone further, Volvo also fitted a 'body number' plate close to the model plate. This simple 4 digit pressed number plate (which will be painted over) shows which of the 8078 ES bodies ever manufactured yours is and has no relation with your chassis number!

The proper VIN number is as I said before, either on a plate rivetted to the nearside widscreen pillar inside the car, or if this is missing, the full VIN number is stamped into the body on the drivers door pillar. You need to open the door wide and look between the top and bottom hinges on the pillar, you may need to rub some wet and dry on the surface to read it properly.

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 17:04   #23
tysonn

Thanks Paul I'll try it!
tysonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 17:15   #24
tysonn

For cassell is the 7 digit all number code beginning with 000 the Vin then?Or if not what is it?
Mick
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 18:45   #25
cassell
Member since 1988

Smile

Hi Mick,

Yes, the last seven digits of the full VIN number are your chassis number, starting 000. Obviously Volvo didn't know how many ES's would be built so they gave themselves enough digits to build 9999999!!
Only 8078 were actually produced so the chassis numbers never got beyond four digits so every chassis starts with 000.
My own car, photo attached, has chassis number 0004366 and was built on 27th December 1972 so in theory if your number is higher, your car was built later, although I have come across one ES with a lower chassis number that was built in March 1973,so it appears that logic never applied in Gothenburg!!

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65ACA_1275392312.jpg (44.3 KB, 1 views)
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 19:02   #26
tysonn

Thanks Paul.Mine is 0005073,1973.Email gone to Sweden so I'll have to wait and see.The thing that bugs me is,the car has plainly been registered over here and used on our roads as recently as the 1990s.This fact means it had a V5C.Regardless of whether the previous owner to the guy that sold me it or the previous owner himself(its so long ago he can't remember) lost,burnt,jumped up and down on etc the V5C shouldn't result in me having to go through the procedure(and costs,price of replacement certificate notwithstanding) I would have to go through had I just shipped it in from Sweden.I didn't delete the record off the DVLA computer.Or am I expecting too much?
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 19:47   #27
cassell
Member since 1988

Thumbs up

Unfortunately you are dealing with a vast, uncaring government department in DVLA so yes, don't expect too much! You are probably right, it would be simpler to import a car from Sweden or elsewhere in Europe with less bother.

Keep us all on the forum informed on your progress, and good luck! My future son in law's parents live in Scarborough so I'll ask them to keep a look out for your car on the road soon!

Paul
Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 20:15   #28
tysonn

Will update as and when.If your future son in laws dad is into old cars I'll probably know him!As far as I know the only P1800 I have seen here in years is a light metallic blue around 1970ish.Owned by an elderly chap.I saw it parked in Morissons' carpark in summer and left a note under the wiper with my phone number in case he wanted to sell!He phoned me but wasnt selling.Had owned it from new(as I remember).Also had an orange 144 that he said was superb and also from new which he would soon be selling.
Mick
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 13:16   #29
chief wigam

Mike,
don't know if you are aware, but DVLA have been inundated and website has been overloaded for last few days due to new vehicle tax system coming in. R.e records going missing, if its any consolation, not that long ago an awful lot of motorcyclists who returned licenses to DVLA for updates (new photo's etc) suddenly lost any record of having passed their motorcycle tests and M\C entitlements, so I shouldn't worry about the car not being legit!
chief wigam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2014, 17:12   #30
tysonn

Same thing happened to a friend of mine with his bike licence 35 years ago!I aren't worried about the V5C apart from the fact that I can't use it until it has one ;-).Just got this sheaf of forms from DVLA through the post which includes the email address of the chap in this club to contact.So far no reply to my email to the Volvo chap in Sweden.
Mick