Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Volvo 123GT + Question

Views : 2959

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2017, 21:44   #1
Dec

Default My Volvo 123GT + Question

Hi All,

Thought I'd post up a couple of snaps of my 123GT, my first Amazon, which I've had for about 6 months now. She's a lovely old motor, but needs some TLC (body work, interior trim etc.), which I'm sure she'll get over the next few years!

I took her to Bromley today and it was great to meet fellow 123GT owner Jason with his Green/Tan MUF 227F.

One quick question I have for you guys is regarding the bonnet hinges. The bonnet opens particularly wide due to a curvature on both of the hinges. My initial thoughts were that the bonnet must have flipped up at some point and bent the hinges, although the bend does look intentional and the rest of the bonnet mechanism is straight and true..... has anyone every seen anything like it before?

Cheers,
Dec

Dec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dec For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 21:46   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec View Post
Hi All,

Thought I'd post up a couple of snaps of my 123GT, my first Amazon, which I've had for about 6 months now. She's a lovely old motor, but needs some TLC (body work, interior trim etc.), which I'm sure she'll get over the next few years!

I took her to Bromley today and it was great to meet fellow 123GT owner Jason with his Green/Tan MUF 227F.

One quick question I have for you guys is regarding the bonnet hinges. The bonnet opens particularly wide due to a curvature on both of the hinges. My initial thoughts were that the bonnet must have flipped up at some point and bent the hinges, although the bend does look intentional and the rest of the bonnet mechanism is straight and true..... has anyone every seen anything like it before?

Cheers,
Dec
I think if the hinges were bent it would not fit so well when closed .
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 22:35   #3
jpws

The bonnet hinges in the parts catalogue look straight, see No. 16 in the image.
Image taken from parts catalogue, pdf available here.

Will have a look at my '68 Amazon 122S hinges another day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AmazonBonnetParts.jpg (73.4 KB, 14 views)
jpws is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpws For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 22:38   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpws View Post
The bonnet hinges in the parts catalogue look straight, see No. 16 in the image.
Image taken from parts catalogue, pdf available here.

Will have a look at my '68 Amazon 122S hinges another day.
you cant always go by the images as they are drawn before the car is launched , they could have altered them just before production , it still happens today!
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 23:01   #5
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Hi ya Dec ,

Lovely looking 123GT , I would say they are bent and they should be straight if you want I have a few spare sets if any good I can put your name on a set for you and bring to an event we may be both going to or your more than welcome to drop in and pick them up .
My gift to a fellow 123GT Amazon owner

Kind regards
Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2017, 23:07   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Dec;

WOW! She's gorgeous!

I have to agree with Clan...one wouldn't expect the Bonnet to be in the correct position when closed, if hinge was bent ...then again...maybe the bend is minor enough to be able to be adjusted out...I'd make a close and careful examination and comparison with a known clean hinge, but if nothing is askew or otherwise damaged, I'd just keep well lubed and keep my eyes on it...

I do notice that you don't seem to have the modern Brake Light Switch (I see the factory provisions for the switch bracket at the pedal box, but I don't see evidence of the bracket mounting hardware. May I suggest that along with the TLC, you consider upgrading to the later and much more reliable (and early acting) Pedal position sensing Brake Light Switch. See: http://www.sw-em.com/safety_bulletin_1.htm

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 07:54   #7
skysurfer
VOC Member

Lovely looking car in the best colour combination.
skysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 11:52   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Very nice looking car. Pity it isn't quite as polished under the bonnet but I am guilty of that too. Couldn't find any pics of hinges with curved bars. If all are the same, i.e. 4 total/both sides I think they must just be one of Volvo's anomalies. Bonnet appears to fit well. I don't think these pieces would distort in this plane, all exactly the same, certainly not by abuse on the car. Some pivots would benefit from a bit of lubrication though.
Others with curvy hinges please own up.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 13:54   #9
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Hi ya ,

What happens is with time and a car being stood for a long period of time the hinges seize and evidence of this shows on your hinge pivot joints showing rust marks , and When people open the bonnet then PULL UP they force & in some cases bend the hinges !

I have never seen a bend one I have seen some that have sheered off broken tho so shows they can be prone to harm if like derek says need lubrication but have non when opening the bonnet at that all critical moment ...

Kind regards
Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2017, 19:38   #10
Dec

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123GT-AMAZON View Post
Hi ya Dec ,

Lovely looking 123GT , I would say they are bent and they should be straight if you want I have a few spare sets if any good I can put your name on a set for you and bring to an event we may be both going to or your more than welcome to drop in and pick them up .
My gift to a fellow 123GT Amazon owner

Kind regards
Robert.w
Many thanks Robert, really appreciate the kind offer. No doubt we'll cross paths at some point and will bear that in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
May I suggest that along with the TLC, you consider upgrading to the later and much more reliable (and early acting) Pedal position sensing Brake Light Switch.
Thanks Ron for the great advice, I'm new to Amazons and will certainly look into your recommendation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Very nice looking car. Pity it isn't quite as polished under the bonnet but I am guilty of that too. Couldn't find any pics of hinges with curved bars. If all are the same, i.e. 4 total/both sides I think they must just be one of Volvo's anomalies. Bonnet appears to fit well.
Ahh, yes the engine bay is in dire need of attention! You're right that the bonnet closes well, all the panel gaps are true and bends are uniform on both sides. Real head scratcher this one!

Thanks for the advice all, will post up more pics as the resto progresses

Cheers,
Dec
Dec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dec For This Useful Post: