Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Radio -> Wiring

Views : 614

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 01:53   #1
Metallo

Default New Radio -> Wiring

Hi all,

My car is a 940 2.0 Turbo SW (Petrol) of 1997 and I have recently purchased a new audio equipment to be installed on it, specifically a Pioneer AVH-3400NEX receiver.
I am reading the installation manual and among the various wires, there is a green one which is used to detect the ON/OFF status of the parking brake. This lead must be connected to the power supply side of the parking brake switch.
If the green wire is not connected, the DVD Video as well as other menu functionalities will be disabled.

Now, it makes perfect sense to me as you do not want to drive and watch a movie at the same time

However, before I proceed with disassembling the parking brake area, I wonder whether there is such a switch or not. I mean, is there any type of electrical connection to the parking brake? Or is it purely mechanical?

Thank you!
Alessandro
Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:05   #2
wrinkles
VOC Member

There should be a switch under the hand break lever it is like a curtisy door switch
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:18   #3
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

This switch goes to earth. Don't know if the green wire will need plus or earth (minus on newer cars, not" prince of darkness" timed cars ) if you pull your hand brake the control light for brake will be illuminated at the instrument cluster.
Good luck, Kay

Power supply
No power supply to the hand brake. Only "earth" supply. One wire goes to the switch, same as door switches as wrinkles wrote

Last edited by mocambique-amazone; Oct 2nd, 2018 at 10:20.
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:41   #4
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

I suspect most car brake light switches work on the switch to earth principle? So the "full" voltage power is in the live wire at the warning light bulb? So hopefully examining the wireless instructions, they will be suited to connect to that arrangement?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:45   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Posts like this make me really angry!

Not at Aleessandro for posting it or the question but the fact that Pioneer are forcing people to use their handbrakes!

Mine is automatic and (except in certain situations) i don't touch the handbrake, just put it in "P". If i want to pull over and watch a DVD then there's a very high chance i'll want a coffee while i watch it - pulling the handbrake up means i can't use the cup holders!

I'd either take that green wire direct to earth which would permanently defeat the interlock within the DVD player or i'd fit an ignition controlled 5-pin relay and use terminal 87b for the green wire with 30 going to earth. That would mean you could still use the radio/CD etc in the head unit but with the ignition on/engine running, the DVD function would be disabled.

As soon as the ignition is switched off, the relay would go off completing the circuit between 30 and 87b to mimic the handbrake being on. That way i wouldn't have to pull the handbrake up so i could still use the cupholders and watch a DVD with my coffee!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:51   #6
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Ggggrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Posts like this make me really angry!

Not at Aleessandro for posting it or the question but the fact that Pioneer are forcing people to use their handbrakes!

Mine is automatic and (except in certain situations) i don't touch the handbrake, just put it in "P". If i want to pull over and watch a DVD then there's a very high chance i'll want a coffee while i watch it - pulling the handbrake up means i can't use the cup holders!

I'd either take that green wire direct to earth which would permanently defeat the interlock within the DVD player or i'd fit an ignition controlled 5-pin relay and use terminal 87b for the green wire with 30 going to earth. That would mean you could still use the radio/CD etc in the head unit but with the ignition on/engine running, the DVD function would be disabled.

As soon as the ignition is switched off, the relay would go off completing the circuit between 30 and 87b to mimic the handbrake being on. That way i wouldn't have to pull the handbrake up so i could still use the cupholders and watch a DVD with my coffee!
David. You do speak your mind !!!!

You made me chuckle in resonance with your post.

And you have a deeply serious point. None of us really know how much technology and people in power are achieving control over, us.

Now how do I fit a cup holder to my jam jar ......

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 11:46   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
David. You do speak your mind !!!!

You made me chuckle in resonance with your post.

And you have a deeply serious point. None of us really know how much technology and people in power are achieving control over, us.

Now how do I fit a cup holder to my jam jar ......

It just annoys me when manufacturers take the easy option and just assume things. I appreciate the safety aspect of it (hence offering the solution with the Normally Closed relay) so you can't watch the DVD while driving but the annoying part is it could easily have been designed into the unit so the DVD would only work with the ignition off and would in fact have been a better solution - let's not forget some ICE units are also installed in caravans, motorhomes and similar where there isn't an obvious handbrake to use, or if there is, it doesn't have a warning light switch.

As for your cupholder i don't know if Volvo made one for the 240 or whether the 7/9xx is interchangeable but i've got a 9xx cup holder in mine where the forward cupholders slide forwards out of the armrest cover and the rear cupholders slide out backwards. Just a case of changing the lid of the centre armrest.

However, on my Rover it was a different story, Rover never made an official accessory of cupholders so i had to adapt/modify something from another car.

That's the short pictorial version of how i did it - maybe give you a few ideas!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 12:04   #8
tofufi
Premier Member

Dave, not sure I agree with your rant. Most people would surely be in favour of a basic attempt to ensure people don't watch movies while driving? In the world of new cars, handbrake interlocks are a common way of disabling features for safety reasons.

Also, if you can't use your cupholders with the handbrake on, your handbrake needs adjusting
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 12:25   #9
Metallo

Thank you very much for your comments, I really appreciate your effort to help.

I found a Pioneer video online explaining how wiring works on those radio receivers, if you go to minute 5.10 scrolling the play-bar, the guy will talk about the green wire.
They clearly state it has to be connected to the power supply of the parking brake switch.

Also, what do they mean by 'On - Off - On' operation? I have to enrage/disengage and re-engage it??

Here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bF3uzzaT30

Have fun

Alessandro
Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Metallo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 12:30   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Dave, not sure I agree with your rant. Most people would surely be in favour of a basic attempt to ensure people don't watch movies while driving? In the world of new cars, handbrake interlocks are a common way of disabling features for safety reasons.

Also, if you can't use your cupholders with the handbrake on, your handbrake needs adjusting
That's not a rant Jim

I'm just expressing my displeasure at Pioneers arrogance at assuming.

That said, i'm aware of handbrake interlocks etc but i just think there's a better way of doing it. To that end, i think an ignition interlock would be better, after all you can't drive anywhere with the ignition off! Also you can't run the engine and watch the DVD so you won't be breaking the new laws they're threatening about idling your engine too long.

As for my handbrake, it could probably do with a few coats of looking at, it works fine but the lever travel is probably longer than other Volvos i've had and feels more "springy" leading me to suspect the cables are probably a bit stretched.

It is after all 30 years and 223k miles old now!

The previous owner of 10 years lived on quite a steep hill and used the handbrake and releasing it the very first time suggested after pulling it on, he pulled it another click or two to be sure - that would stretch the cables over time and 10 years is enough time!