Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rejection of car due to faults

Views : 1379

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 20:39   #1
ioneabee

Default Rejection of car due to faults

at what point is it reasonable to request this
we've owned it now since end of september and in that time we've had 3 major faults, 2 of which require a week or more in the dealership.
1st fault was the emergency braking just activating for no reason
2nd fault was "brake failure" - had to be flat bedded back to dealer and required re-installation of the software ?? - at this point they turned off the radar, however since then its done it again !!
we've now had a major oil leak high up at the back of the engine - somewhere above the turbo (apparently) - being flat bedded back in as I type

so - back to my question ??

thoughts ?
ioneabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:35   #2
fullfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioneabee View Post
at what point is it reasonable to request this
we've owned it now since end of september and in that time we've had 3 major faults, 2 of which require a week or more in the dealership.
1st fault was the emergency braking just activating for no reason
2nd fault was "brake failure" - had to be flat bedded back to dealer and required re-installation of the software ?? - at this point they turned off the radar, however since then its done it again !!
we've now had a major oil leak high up at the back of the engine - somewhere above the turbo (apparently) - being flat bedded back in as I type

so - back to my question ??

thoughts ?
SO having gone thought the same issue with my previous 90 and a few years back with an X5 it all depends on how the dealer works with you and if it was new or purchased through the selekt programme

If you have purchased through the selekt programme hopefully you highlighted it within the 30 day exchange window. New is slightly different and you can declare the vehicle unfit for intended use up to 6 months I believe, again as long as you have identified the faults through the dealer you purchased from.

As far as fixing it is concerned you have to give the dealer reasonable opportunity to resolve the problem. After which if you are still unhappy you are well within your rights to back the vehicle.

There is a negative side to it though, the dealer will reduce the money offered back to you due to "normal wear and tear and fair use" policies as well as the normal book drops. However Volvo were extremely helpful in this and personally offered me top money for it and gave me as much off as possible on the new one as it was a higher spec and newer......BMW was a different story and I had no pants to pull down as they had them all

Hope this helps and good luck, let us know how it goes
fullfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 08:27   #3
ioneabee

bought brand new at end of september, so its currently 4.5 months old and done 8000 miles
ioneabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 08:45   #4
jonnyu

It has nothing to do with the dealer.
The car has a warranty. Having all these issues in 3 or 4 months just ask to return the car.
If they refuse, lawyer up. For now, you still have EU laws that protect you as a consumer.

"Under EU law, you have minimum two years to invoke guarantee if the product you purchased turns out to be faulty or not as advertised. The guarantee period may be reduced to no less than one year for a used vehicle. This should be made clear to you at the time of purchase.

If the defect appears within the first 6 months of use, it is presumed that it existed at the time of the delivery and only became apparent later.

After 6 months, you can still invoke the guarantee but, if the dealer contests that the defect existed from the start, you may have to prove it, probably by involving a technical expert.
When you discover a technical problem, you are required to notify the seller as soon as possible but not later than two months."

So time is ticking and you should act fast.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...-are-my-rights

Last edited by jonnyu; Feb 13th, 2020 at 08:52.
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 09:07   #5
CocoPops
VOC Member

Yup, within 6months you have lots more rights.

You really ought to start the rejection process as quick as possible.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 09:33   #6
techwatcher
Master Member

Sorry that you have had hassles with your new Volvo.

In your situation I would be rejecting the vehicle. If you are going to reject the vehicle you should do so before the vehicle is six months old as law changes in favour of the dealer after six months.

How this goes will depend on the dealer who may be reluctant to accept the rejection, in which case you would need to take legal action against them which will be expensive (amounts are above Small Claims limits) and there's no guarantee of winning.

Time for a conversation with someone senior at the dealer as a first step, I would suggest.

Good luck with it and please let us know how you get on.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 10:33   #7
Driver Dave

Check your insurance, you may have Legal Protection as part of that. Or have a look a Which Legal Services they may be able to give advice and/or back you up in any dispute.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 10:56   #8
JetBlastDeflector
XC40 P8 FIRST EDITION

I had similar problems with a brand new Volkswagen Tiguan Allspace that I bought last year. It was supposed to have had a 7-speed DSG gearbox, but was supplied with a 6-speed DSG gearbox. Within three weeks the engine died and the car ground to a halt.
It did not help that I was boarding a car ferry in Spain at the time. I eventually got it started again and managed to get it on the ferry. When we arrived in Portsmouth, it started okay, then died on the way home. It turned out that the main wiring loom was rubbing against the steering column and had shorted out.
I lost complete confidence in the car and, after consulting my rights, I told VW that I was going to reject it.
They came back to me and said that everything was fixed now, with the exception of the 6-speed gearbox of course. It turns out that they never fitted a 7-speed gearbox in my model of the Tiguan and the website and brochures were all wrong!
Anyway they offered me five years free servicing and five years warranty free of charge.
Maybe another avenue that you could go down? I am back in a Volvo now.
JetBlastDeflector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 11:54   #9
Typolee

I rejected my brand new Jag F pace within the 6 months. My dealer was crap. never resolved multiple issues including, faulty diff, misaligned body panels, squealing brakes, clinking suspension, misaligned dashboard. It really was a shockingly built car. Start the rejection process now. You can probably just hand back if the problems haven't been fixed already. Just say you have no faith in the vehicle and feel unsafe. I got the ombudsman involved and they sorted it for me.
Typolee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Typolee For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 13:37   #10
fullfast

Just make sure that through the whole process you document it, email them and follow up with hardcopy as they then cannot say they haven't received it
fullfast is offline   Reply With Quote