Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how much electric does a full recharge use?

Views : 1885

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 14:31   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default how much electric does a full recharge use?

2023MY V60 Phew.
I tend to only recharge the 18.8Kw hr battery on my Phew when it has expired, and overnight. This has allowed me to note how many electric units it takes to recharge the battery, my only consumption overnight being the fridge/freezer and one or two items on standby, (not TV, dvd, but skybox, and electric clocks ) so not enough to skew the result which are not uniform.
I use between 19 -23 units of electric. I assumed It would be 18.8, then I thought perhaps the process is not 100% efficient.
Anyone else sad enough to have checked up how many units it takes to recharge? and should I be concerned about the oversupply...

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 15:11   #2
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
2023MY V60 Phew.
I tend to only recharge the 18.8Kw hr battery on my Phew when it has expired, and overnight. This has allowed me to note how many electric units it takes to recharge the battery, my only consumption overnight being the fridge/freezer and one or two items on standby, (not TV, dvd, but skybox, and electric clocks ) so not enough to skew the result which are not uniform.
I use between 19 -23 units of electric. I assumed It would be 18.8, then I thought perhaps the process is not 100% efficient.
Anyone else sad enough to have checked up how many units it takes to recharge? and should I be concerned about the oversupply...
Cheers
Bob
It should never be 18.8kWh's as there is always a portion of the Hybrid Battery that cannot be fully discharged in order to retain battery life as it isn't good for Lithium Ion batteries to fully discharge.
My smart charger wall box tells me how many kWh's my car takes after every charge and with a fully discharged battery (or as fully as the car will allow, i.e. driving into the driveway with the ICE running as there isn't enough to even roll in on electric), my car will only take 17.2 - 17.3kWh's.
To get the 19 - 23 units as you detail, there must be something in your house other than your car using electricity. It would surprise you how much draw some household devices take even when on standby. I'd start switching things off at the plugs if I were you as that's quite a lot of energy/money saving you can be doing there!!

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 23:12   #3
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

From what I have read it's 14.9kWh usable on the 18.8, there'll be 10-15% charging losses from ac-dc all dependant on state of battery, temp etc.

to get upwards of 20+kWh in would suggest ~50% losses in your case, well out of whack, did you have morning pre-conditioning on or something perhaps that will pull from wall rather than battery?

Work out what your average house baseload is over night without charging, smart meter should be able to help you with that, mine is quite high at 200w/hr on average doing nothing (routers and other gear etc that runs 24/7), which is 2kWh for 10hrs overnight but there will be points when the fridge freezer kicks in etc and it'll double for a period, or when the heating comes on and the pump needs an additional ~100-150w.

Using a smart plug testing my fridge freezer it is the highest 24 hour consumer in my house

I'm definately sad enough to be checking this stuff and will do so when I get mine in a couple of weeks, I've done an audit of the whole house to check for unecessary consumers and where I can cut back I'm that sad

Last edited by sandys; Dec 22nd, 2022 at 23:16.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sandys For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2022, 23:35   #4
100K+
Premier Member

No pre heating...overnight base load is 2-3 units..so now wondering if car can take more electric than battery capacity. Don't have smart meter..
Electric almost same cast as petrol. Getting 40-42 miles on a run...much less around the doors.

Regardless still love the car

Cheers Bob
Old Dec 23rd, 2022, 14:29   #5
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Turn the Xbox off Bob
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2022, 18:22   #6
Hugh Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
From what I have read it's 14.9kWh usable on the 18.8, there'll be 10-15% charging losses from ac-dc all dependant on state of battery, temp etc.

to get upwards of 20+kWh in would suggest ~50% losses in your case, well out of whack, did you have morning pre-conditioning on or something perhaps that will pull from wall rather than battery?

Work out what your average house baseload is over night without charging, smart meter should be able to help you with that, mine is quite high at 200w/hr on average doing nothing (routers and other gear etc that runs 24/7), which is 2kWh for 10hrs overnight but there will be points when the fridge freezer kicks in etc and it'll double for a period, or when the heating comes on and the pump needs an additional ~100-150w.

Using a smart plug testing my fridge freezer it is the highest 24 hour consumer in my house

I'm definately sad enough to be checking this stuff and will do so when I get mine in a couple of weeks, I've done an audit of the whole house to check for unecessary consumers and where I can cut back I'm that sad
I am equally sad and I am eagerly awaiting my XC60 Recharge Plus due in next couple of weeks. The ship arrived in Bristol on 21st. I’ll be comparing cost of charging with cost of petrol. I’m having solar panels and batteries installed later next year so it can then be charged from either solar or night time cheap rate.
Hugh Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2022, 20:33   #7
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Only speaking about the Polestar, there are losses in charging - it’s about 90% (in a poor winter) to 95% (most of the rest of the time) efficient based on the energy put in.

You’ll typically use 200w/hr in background domestic consumption - mine is skewed as we have an Air Source Heat Pump. However, I also only pay 4.5p/kWH between 00:00 and 05:00 which means I get my 115 miles commute for £1.60 🥳
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 15:11   #8
neilgorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
No pre heating...overnight base load is 2-3 units..so now wondering if car can take more electric than battery capacity. Don't have smart meter..
Electric almost same cast as petrol. Getting 40-42 miles on a run...much less around the doors.

Regardless still love the car

Cheers Bob
No electrical system is 100% efficient. With any normal battery charging scenario, you lose anything up to 10% to heat in the charging system (whether the box on the wall, or the plug on your phone charger getting warm or whatever). I can't imagine electric car makers have got over this basic bit of physics any better than other manufacturers of charging and electrical systems.

The charger itself takes power after all, it doesn't just connect the battery to the mains but does something and that something will be using some power before you factor in the efficiency.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2022, 15:27   #9
S90
IT Guru

I've got to the point of not caring how much electric is!

£450 a month and rising. With 4 kidneys in the family we'll be fine, and limbs are a nuisance!
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 10:25   #10
100K+
Premier Member

Default Definitive Answers.

On recommendation bought a Energenie ENER007 Appliance Power Meter.

Car arrived home with Nil electic mileage range, (petrol engine running for last 10 minutes to get home), so happy battery "empty" as makes no realistic difference.

Charge amount shown this AM as 17.16Kw. My electric cost 32/p Kw = £ 5.32 for 40 "range miles"*

* what the car now claims is the current electric only range.

Current Petrol 95Ron** @ £ 1.48/litre = £ 6.72/gallon

** Don't know what 98Ron costs

So there you have it, you save £ 1.26/gallon, and on 12,000 mile a year that 300 Gallons @ 40MPG saves you ....less than £400/yr, or £ 1134 over 3 yrs

Else where I have a thread about MPG with only petrol engine in "save" and "charge" modes, and I get approx 40MPG @ 60mph on A1M type roads.

Shame the car cost me >£5k more to buy than a non- hybrid..

Cheers
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: