Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Amazon project - an attempt towards a reliable car

Views : 12009

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2023, 15:46   #11
samaron

Managed to find the right speedometer seal, I think. Could replace it regardless as it is fairly easy to do. Looks like the oil is coming from above, however. I suspect the top cover seal is the issue.

Back to the brakes. I would prefer to keep the stock look and feel with drum brakes. However, if disc brakes are much more common, I am leaning towards that. Less risk of parts shortage or discontinuation.

Regardless of what brake configuration I go for, it would be a complete swap to get everything as proper as possible. The backing plates I have now would need considerable amounts of modifications. Hopefully a newer brake system will bolt straight to my rear axle, if not I would have to replace that as well. It is a type called ENV, the differential does not have a cover on the back and has to be removed as a complete unit from the front.

Looking at the web shop for one of the parts suppliers I use, it appears everything can be bought for the later brake systems. Including non-consumable parts. Should be fairly easy to obtain the necessary parts.
Old Jul 16th, 2023, 11:44   #12
samaron

Looking at the production numbers and when front disc brakes were introduced, I can see most Amazon came with that configuration. Over two times as many have disc brakes than drums, in fact.

I also came across a youtube video where someone replaced the front drums with discs. Not because the owner felt the necessity for an upgrade, but purely out of practical reasons with regards to parts availability. When the video was recorded, front drums were unobtainable, but disc brake parts were. It was recorded three years ago, so fairly recently.
Parts are available now, but I have the impression later front drums have less support.

Since I'm also daily driving my Amazon, I am inclined to go for a single circuit front disc configuration as well. By the looks of it, this should bolt straight in without any further modifications.
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 13:05   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Conversion to discs may be more difficult than changing to the later drums. Back in the late 60's I had a 1961 B16 122s and that had drum fronts. and I don't remember any problems other than changing the shoes. They had star wheel adjusters. I suspect you would have to change the spindle/upright along with the hub for the disc. I think your car has the early front lower A arm which has the same inner bushes as the top arm. #80733. Later arms including the disc cars used a proper bonded bush. I don't know if the early A arm would be compatible. If you can, talk to your Norway club or go onto the Swedish Amazon forum and ask the question. There are so few of these early Amazons left that I would be reluctant to make changes that couldn't be changed back to original.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2023, 23:47   #14
samaron

I certainly wouldn't want to do anything that causes permanent irreversible changes.

The backing plates in the rear are very different from how the later ones look, as far as I can tell. I assume it is the same story in the front as well since it has wheel brake cylinders in the top and bottom.

I'll give the club leader a call and ask. He happens to run a parts supplier business as well, and is very good at looking up information in the Volvo books. He should be able to cross reference the various parts and catch if anything has significant changes that will prohibit a bolt on swap.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 17:02   #15
Derek UK
VOC Member

I've got all the parts books but some useful info is missing. There are 2 different sizes for front drums between the various PV and Amazon models for instance.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 19:54   #16
samaron

The front drum applicable for my car have part number 667102 at VP. I didn't think it would be different, but I see now model year 1959 and onward have part number 667126.

Had a browse through the Swedish Amazon forum and came across this 1963 bulletin:
https://volvo1800pictures.com/vm_1/c...kivbromsar.htm

It explains that sport models already are fitted with disc brakes, and drum brake cars can be retrofitted with discs. Looking at the parts, it is as I thought. The TL;DR is basically to remove the old brake parts, fit the new, bleed the brakes, done.

There's also some mention in a thread that the early disc brake cars came fitted with too large rear wheel brake cylinders. This resulted in the rear brakes locking up when braking hard. If retrofitting disc brakes on an older car, these came equipped with the proper wheel brake cylinders in the rear. If not, the recommended size is 7/8".

Looking through some threads, there's no indication that retrofitting disc brakes require any suspension changes.
Old Jul 18th, 2023, 21:42   #17
Derek UK
VOC Member

Early front drums are 9". Late front drums are 10".
All rear drums are 9".
"The front drum applicable for my car have part number 667102 at VP. I didn't think it would be different, but I see now model year 1959 and onward have part number 667126."
This is correct. These numbers supersede the ones in the parts book which are Early - 653062 and Late - 658956.
Looks like the rear drums are all the same #673797 - was #667235 or#667100.
Old Jul 21st, 2023, 23:36   #18
samaron

Had a look at the gearbox this evening. It appears the output shaft seal is leaking despite having it replaced last year. The rear area is covered in oil. The front also leaks a little, but not enough to cause a drip at the moment. Strange that a new seal would leak immediately, but I suppose it is possible it got damaged during install.

I did pull the speedometer wire and changed the o-ring on it. It wasn't in great condition, but I don't believe it was leaking. Regardless, a fresh one is installed now. Removing it from the gearbox was very easy. Installing it tested my patience. Very little room to get the screw back in.

Looks like I have to prepare for a gearbox removal in order to get this sorted properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230721_185339.jpg (247.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20230721_185423.jpg (208.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20230721_185600.jpg (220.8 KB, 22 views)
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 11:55   #19
Rustinmotion

If the output shaft has a ring worn in it a new seal won’t fix it, you can get sleeve kits if needed
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 12:37   #20
samaron

Really? I expected the seal to be soft enough to not cause any wear on the steel. Perhaps I should remove it and have a closer look to verify any wear.