Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My Amazon project - an attempt towards a reliable car

Views : 12003

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2023, 13:33   #81
Derek UK
VOC Member

A good idea to get in touch with the supplier of the used parts. They might have just got misplaced or be still on the shelf where the rest of the parts were stored. What are the part numbers of the missing parts?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2023, 17:57   #82
samaron

Already fired off an e-mail to ask for the parts.

I will put the parts out on the floor to get a better picture of what is missing, or incompatible, the next couple of days. It is a lot of parts, and I would be surprised if something wasn't overlooked even after thoroughly sorting through everything beforehand.

Looks like I can assemble the rear brakes and install it as a complete unit. Very different backing plate and setup in general compared to my current brakes. Need to consult the appropriate shop manual.

Were also planning on removing the float bowl this weekend to do an inspection on the sealing surfaces. Is it advised to replace the paper gaskets regardless? The carburetor were rebuilt this spring.
Old Nov 4th, 2023, 20:26   #83
samaron

Had a go at disassembling the rear brakes I got. Everything was full of rust and grease. Had to cut out the adjusters with an angle grinder as they had been welded in such a way that normal removal was impossible.

The handbrake cable clamp screws were rusted stuck as well. 10mm was too large, 9 too small, 3/8" fit perfect. Despite not using a lot of force, they all rounded off. Tried cutting a slit in them in order to use an impact screwdriver, but the end result was that the heads got more mangled. I left it alone before they would come completely off. Need to ask around if someone with a welder can have a go by welding on nuts.

I noticed the new brake shoes does not come with the handbrake lever. The old ones are riveted on and impossible to transfer over. Looks like these are supposed to be moved over and reused? The handbrake link bars are bent out of shape on both sides as well and not suited to be reused.

Looks like I need to hunt down another set of rear brakes that hopefully doesn't have as much broken or mangled parts.

Otherwise it does look like I got everything needed to do the retrofit, except the mounting hardware. Need to buy all the nuts and bolts. I also need to exchange the rear wheel cylinders for a 7/8" set, as the ones I got are the 1" type. Reading on the swedish Amazon forums, using the larger bore wheel cylinders will result in rear brakes locking up before the front. The solution is either a brake pressure reduction valve or simply installing the smaller wheel cylinders. In my case the latter will be the easiest as I am replacing everything else anyway.
Old Nov 5th, 2023, 14:11   #84
Derek UK
VOC Member

The handbrake lever rivet should just knock out. Just an interference fit and shouldn't be peened over to fix it in. I haven't checked any part numbers but PV parts should be interchangeable. That may or may not be of any help where you are!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2023, 17:00   #85
samaron

Got a reply from the person who sold me the used parts. He initially replied I just need to move them over to the new shoes. To which I replied "how?" After some back and forth he realized I weren't being dumb and the parts were actually unusable. He said he would dig around in his spare parts and see if he couldn't locate a new set.

20231104_142234.jpg

Might not show up well in the picture above, but the levers were peened on the backside. No clip or other method of fixing them in place.

20231104_192234.jpg

I ground off the edges in order to remove them. I could confirm there are no groove left where a clip could attatch.

Had a new look at the carburetor today. It for some reason wouldn't idle now. Ran it up to operating temperature and found I had to turn back the mixture screw. Too rich now, apparently. Spraying brake fluid on the suspected vacuum leak area, it still gave a noticable change in RPM.
I also found that the shaft is leaking again today. Probably has the entire time after the rebuild, but hard to get a good angle at it. Sprayed below on the base and had no change.
Initially after the rebuild, it was too tight. This was one of the areas that was touched up after I immediately returned it for rework. I did notice it wasn't tight anymore, but I could feel, see and hear some play at the end of the shaft. Looks like it is too much.
Perhaps I can glue on a cover over the shaft end when I remove the float bowl for inspection.
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 17:51   #86
samaron

Picked up my car from the paint shop yesterday. Started some assembly again today, but did discover a couple of things.
A couple of the side trim holes on the rear left quarter panel have been filled and painted over. I used a punch from the inside on one of them, but it did chip the paint and was in general rough. Hopefully the trim will cover it... Still have one hole left, and it is of course the one closest to the rear door. Tried stretching my arm inbetween the body panels, but it will be difficult. I am working blind while in uncomfortable positions.

Another thing a local club member pointed out is that the sills are not welded properly. On the front section the body shop hasn't welded them shut, leaving a gap where rain and dirt will enter and collect inside the body. I have to contact the shop and ask for rework. Just a shame since it is freshly painted and has to be redone.

20231130_130658.jpg

The rear lights have some discoloring on the reflectors as well. Thankfully it was only around the lower bulb for the brake lights. Bought some aluminium tape that I stuck on after cleaning it. Should make the lights reflect outward better.

The rear handles/license plate lights also leave a gap. I am unsure why this is.

20231130_151503.jpg
20231130_151441.jpg